Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 165
  1.    #1  
    Guest Paul Glastris, on Washington Monthly, poses a question that some of you Bush supporters might care to address (if you can..):

    "In 2018, Social Security will begin paying out more money than it takes in. This is what Dennis Hastert calls the "crisis point." But the entire federal government is paying out more money than it takes in right now. Indeed this has been the case for four years, thanks in no small measure to GOP tax-and-spending policies. And it will continue to be the case indefinitely under the president's own supposedly-tough budget.

    Why is it that a modest deficit in Social Security that won't begin for almost a decade and a half requires immediate radical action, while a vastly greater overall federal deficit occurring right now doesn't? "

    Fixing SS should be a CAKEWALK for Bush. And people will throw flowers in appreciation. (Ooops.. I mixed up the war on terrorism and the WAR ON SOCIAL SECURITY!)
  2. #2  
    Paul Glastris is just a Clinton **** boy. It's not like you have some great unbiased source of information.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Paul Glastris is just a Clinton **** boy. It's not like you have some great unbiased source of information.
    It is his question that should be addressed, not his background. Apparently it is easier for you to make personal attacks against people who criticize administration policies, rather than address the issues brought up. When I posted facts in another thread that disputed administration claims, you declared me to be "a waste of bandwidth", yet you did not dispute the facts. My 120 posts have wasted no where near the bandwidth of your 2400 posts.

    I am not attacking you or other Bush supporters. Someone labeling me a "whiney democrat" for challenging Bush's policies or "election irregularities" that always favored Bush does not change the facts.

    I don't think you mean to stifle dissent by putting down someone who brings up issues that people should consider. Dissent, debate and disagreement is what keeps America great and hopefully prevents mistakes from being made.

    Now if you care to address the VALID QUESTION that this man raised, please do. If not, why post anything?
  4. #4  
    I guess the true question is what in your mind is wrong with allowing a person to take a small portion of their SS contribution and place in personal investment account. You never really give your opinion on anything, but do a fine job quoting other sources, usually in the form of some kind of rant. That's just my opinion.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  5. #5  
    I think it is suffice to say that both Democrats and Republicans (and Independents and Libertarians) recognize that there's a crisis looming on the Social Security horizon. It is how to get out of this crisis that the various parties disagree on. I am not sure there's a right or wrong way since no one knows what the future might hold, but it is better to do something.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  6. #6  
    nudist, its very simple. be a part of a solution, or simply become part of the problem. you, dear nudist, are nothing but part of the problem. negativity, negativity, negativity, that's your new name. have we read any solutions offered by you here? no. so where does that leave you?

    as nothing more than... PART OF THE PROBLEM. that's it. now go have a drink with your buddy ted.
  7. #7  
    Pointing out issues does not make one "Part of the Problem:".

    What IS PART OF THE PROBLEM is the personal bashing, childish name calling and overall degrading tone that some members of this board use on others.

    What happened to intelligent and respectful debate?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I guess the true question is what in your mind is wrong with allowing a person to take a small portion of their SS contribution and place in personal investment account. You never really give your opinion on anything, but do a fine job quoting other sources, usually in the form of some kind of rant. That's just my opinion.
    Clairegrrl, this guy has his own agenda.

    More than half of his posts are attacks on Republicans in one way or another.
  9. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #9  
    Noone seems to have asked this so maybe I will.

    Why is it imperative for us to dump all of SS's money on Wall Street NOW?

    Who stands to gain from this?
    I will answer this one, I have been dying to!! Here is the list of Bush/Cheney's top donors.

    Link

    GEORGE W. BUSH (R)
    Top Contributors

    Morgan Stanley
    $600,480

    Merrill Lynch
    $580,004

    PriceWaterhouseCoopers
    $510,500

    UBS Americas
    $467,075

    Goldman Sachs
    $386,600

    MBNA Corp
    $354,350

    Credit Suisse First Boston
    $332,040

    Lehman Brothers
    $327,325

    Citigroup Inc
    $317,525

    Bear Stearns
    $308,150

    Ernst & Young
    $300,640

    Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
    $289,450

    US Government
    $281,686

    Wachovia Corp
    $272,560

    Ameriquest Capital
    $248,650

    Blank Rome LLP
    $221,650

    Bank of America
    $215,261

    JP Morgan Chase & Co
    $205,400

    Microsoft Corp
    $195,790

    Southern Co
    $192,432

    See a pattern? Why they all seem to be wall street trading firms. Hmmm the picture is getting a little clearer.


    Why can't we repeal just 1/3 of the tax cuts, and who is benefiting the most from these tax cuts?

    Answer these and the reason should be crystal clear. It is so transparnet what Bush is doing.
    Last edited by NRG; 02/14/2005 at 10:39 PM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    Pointing out issues does not make one "Part of the Problem:".

    What IS PART OF THE PROBLEM is the personal bashing, childish name calling and overall degrading tone that some members of this board use on others.

    What happened to intelligent and respectful debate?
    I agree! nudist has the right to say what he pleases or believes in. And anyone else has the right to dispute his thoughts in fair and dignifying ways.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  11. #11  
    pointing out issues or problems are fine. we all do it. however if an intelligent and adult discussion is to take place, don't you think part of that "intelligent" discussion might include alternatives, or solutions or thoughtful options which may CONTRIBUTE to improving the dilemma? as opposed to just doing nothing but criticize? that is so terribly easy to do. its childish to do ONLY that, and nothing else. this is what nudist has been doing. why not suggest to nudist that he/she offer some "intelligent" contributions to these problems that are pointed out here? then, we can call this an intelligent discussion.
  12. #12  
    JOHN KERRY (D)
    Top Contributors
    Cycle: 2004 All Cycles*
    University of California
    $620,925

    Harvard University
    $353,839

    Time Warner
    $306,775

    Goldman Sachs
    $296,750

    Citigroup Inc
    $279,881

    Microsoft Corp
    $276,597

    Skadden, Arps et al
    $257,077

    UBS Americas
    $212,200

    JP Morgan Chase & Co
    $205,265

    Wilmer, Cutler et al
    $198,386

    US Government
    $185,776

    IBM Corp
    $185,590

    Stanford University
    $185,099

    Morgan Stanley
    $180,979

    Robins, Kaplan et al
    $177,650

    Viacom Inc
    $175,196

    Bank of America
    $168,502

    Piper Rudnick LLP
    $166,403

    Columbia University
    $156,490

    Akin, Gump et al
    $152,754


    Notice any similarities. Looks like a lot of the same guys. I see you didnt bother to check.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  13. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    JOHN KERRY (D)
    Top Contributors
    Cycle: 2004 All Cycles*
    University of California
    $620,925

    Harvard University
    $353,839

    Time Warner
    $306,775

    Goldman Sachs
    $296,750

    Citigroup Inc
    $279,881

    Microsoft Corp
    $276,597

    Skadden, Arps et al
    $257,077

    UBS Americas
    $212,200

    JP Morgan Chase & Co
    $205,265

    Wilmer, Cutler et al
    $198,386

    US Government
    $185,776

    IBM Corp
    $185,590

    Stanford University
    $185,099

    Morgan Stanley
    $180,979

    Robins, Kaplan et al
    $177,650

    Viacom Inc
    $175,196

    Bank of America
    $168,502

    Piper Rudnick LLP
    $166,403

    Columbia University
    $156,490

    Akin, Gump et al
    $152,754


    Notice any similarities. Looks like a lot of the same guys. I see you didnt bother to check.
    I did check Claire. 17vs.5 is hardly the same thing. Just some quick math here that is more than 3 times more. Answer the questions I posed to you.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Why can't we repeal just 1/3 of the tax cuts, and who is benefiting the most from these tax cuts?
    The people that paid all of those taxes.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  15. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    The people that paid all of those taxes.
    Claire you are not too clear here?
  16. #16  
    It's a fairly large leap between campaign donors and social security policy. If I were to pose the following to Democrats, it would be rightfully laughed out of town:

    UC and Harvard University were John Kerry's largest donors. That means the only reason John Kerry wants to improve the nation's schools is to help UC and Harvard faculty to "pay them back" for their generosity.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Claire you are not too clear here?
    The people that would have paid those taxes benefit from the cuts.
  18. #18  
    I certainly dont see where the bogus sidetrack of Bush donors has anything to do with the question as to whether or not I should be allowed to contribute a small portion of my SS contribution into a completely optional personal investment account. If you are against that, dont participate.

    I think we need a Social Security system that reflects the realities of the 21st century, not the past. I really don't know if Bush's plan is right or not, and I know there are negatives associated with his plan. But all I here from the democrats is that they are against Bush's plan, period, no other ideas. The one thing I know for sure about SS is that the current plan is not acceptable. So in the absence of competing ideas, I only have one choice to choose from.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  19. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    It's a fairly large leap between campaign donors and social security policy. If I were to pose the following to Democrats, it would be rightfully laughed out of town:

    UC and Harvard University were John Kerry's largest donors. That means the only reason John Kerry wants to improve the nation's schools is to help UC and Harvard faculty to "pay them back" for their generosity.
    I do not believe it is that far of a stretch, considering where bush is trying to push SS. If you think these contributions from major financial institutions were given out of the kindness of their hearts and they weren't expecting anything in return, then I don't know what to say.

    As far as UofC is concerned, well it is California and it is professors and such. Not to mention that is the whole California university school system. A rather large group of wouldn't you think?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    If you think these contributions from major financial institutions were given out of the kindness of their hearts and they weren't expecting anything in return, then I don't know what to say.
    So by donating to kerry, they were what???...hedging their investments??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions