Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I think Tom Daschle was only the first of many dems that will be shown the door. Ohhh...wasnt his wife a lobbyest??
    Actually, republicans are certainly no slackers when it come to peddling influence. Take the GOP lobbying firm Lundquist, Nethercutt and Griles as one example of many. Andrew Lundquist ran Vice President **** Cheney's energy policy task force in 2001; Rep. George Nethercutt unseated Democratic House Speaker Tom Foley in 1994; and Steven Griles, who until last month was the No. 2 official at the Interior Department.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Actually, republicans are certainly no slackers when it come to peddling influence. Take the GOP lobbying firm Lundquist, Nethercutt and Griles as one example of many. Andrew Lundquist ran Vice President **** Cheney's energy policy task force in 2001; Rep. George Nethercutt unseated Democratic House Speaker Tom Foley in 1994; and Steven Griles, who until last month was the No. 2 official at the Interior Department.
    All very small in contrast to Linda...."Among Linda Daschle's clients is American Airlines, which has had six fatal crashes since 1994 (not even including the World Trade Center flights). The airline has incurred thousands of dollars in federal fines for a host of safety violations, and its employees have been caught in embarrassing drug smuggling stings. Even as its planes have crashed, American has lobbied for years to water down safety and security regulations that might have helped foil the World Trade Center attacks. Yet thanks in part to lobbying efforts by Daschle---and support from her husband---American Airlines got a free pass in the recent airline bailout bill, escaping most legal liability for the hijackings and getting $583 million in cash grants---taxpayer money it will never have to repay."
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    yeah that sucks, so do people who leave the number 2 interior department position and become lobbyists the next month. what is your point? you don't like lobbyists or you just don't like democrat lobbyists? I think they all suck.
    yeah that sucks, so do people who leave the number 2 interior department position and become lobbyists the next month. what is your point? you don't like lobbyists or you just don't like democrat lobbyists? I think they all suck.
    Lobbying for weaker safety standards for an airline that has already killed a lot of passengers in crashes seems a tick or two worse on the scale. I guess you just dont see that as a problem.
    Lobbying for weaker safety standards for an airline that has already killed a lot of passengers in crashes seems a tick or two worse on the scale. I guess you just dont see that as a problem.
    what part of "that sucks" do you not understand?

Daschle's wife drains power from individual voters like you and me and places it in the hands of powerful corporations and unaccountable organizations, just like a lot of GOP lobbyists do. I think it is bad whenever it happens.

You bring up this one example simply because of Daschle, but the entire lobbying process is tainted and should be fixed. This petty game of selectively citing some and ignoring other wrongdoings is tiresome.
    This petty game of selectively citing some and ignoring other wrongdoings is tiresome.
    Then dont participate. Rather then say they "all suck" right off, and giving your thoughts about how the government fails the people by succumbing to the pressure of lobbyists, the first thing you came up with was "Actually, republicans are certainly no slackers when it come to peddling influence....."
    Sheesh!
    I was making the point that both sides do it.
    You bring up this one example simply because of Daschle
    The reason I brought up Daschel's wife, was because I was talking about him. Now which part of "that" dont you understand.
    the part where it is supposed to have relevance to the thread
    It's called an aside...and I think it was you, in post #81, that really got us off track
    It's called an aside...and I think it was you, in post #81, that really got us off track
    I yield, your royal threadness
    I yield, your royal threadness
    OK...now go back to work. Cya later
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Bush Isn't Ready to Reveal Soc. Sec. Fix

By TERENCE HUNT
    The Associated Press
    Thursday, April 14, 2005; 1:58 PM

WASHINGTON - President Bush signaled Thursday he is not ready yet to reveal how he would fix Social Security's looming insolvency, saying he has to first persuade people there is a problem.

"I got a lot more time to tell people that there is a problem," Bush said in a speech to newspaper editors.

-snip-
    Bush has talked for weeks about his proposal to create a system of private investment accounts for Social Security but has acknowledged that those accounts would not solve the program's financial problems. He has not said how he would address the insolvency issue but has invited members of Congress to propose solutions.

He said Bush talked with lawmakers about the importance of finding a permanent fix to Social Security and how to get it done this year. "There is some discussion about when do you do that and the president said `Well, we're still in this phase now of educating the American people about the problems facing Social Security' and at some point we'll be focusing more on solutions and the way to get this done through Congress."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Apr14.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

HaHa. George doesn't have a plan. Why won't he tell us what his plan is?
    Help me out...didn't Clinton talk about a coming Social Security crisis? I suspect that W is setting the conditions for a compromise.

Why is the idea of people keeping the money they earn bother you guys so much? Why do you think the idea of government extortion is such a good thing?

And why won't Kerry sign his SF180 and releas ALL of his military records? Why isn't Sandy Berger sitting in Leavenworth right now, like I would be?

Why ask why?
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Help me out...didn't Clinton talk about a coming Social Security crisis? I suspect that W is setting the conditions for a compromise.

Why is the idea of people keeping the money they earn bother you guys so much? Why do you think the idea of government extortion is such a good thing?

And why won't Kerry sign his SF180 and releas ALL of his military records? Why isn't Sandy Berger sitting in Leavenworth right now, like I would be?

Why ask why?
    zezezezeezezezezezez....... WE GOT ONE ON BOYS!!!

It is not a matter of people keeping their money. It is a matter of not relying on the stock market.

e.g.
    AT THE CLOSING BELL WHEN BUSH TOOK OFFICE on January 22, 2001

Dow - 10,578.24
    Nasdaq - 2,757.91
    S&P 500 - 1,342.90

at 2:23 EST April 14, 2005

Dow 10,340.30
    Nasdaq 1,959.11
    S&P 500 1,168.62
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Help me out...didn't Clinton talk about a coming Social Security crisis?
    Right and the republicans shot it down.

I suspect that W is setting the conditions for a compromise.
    Show me how people are going to keep their money.

And why won't Kerry sign his SF180 and releas ALL of his military records?
    So why won't bush release "ALL" of his NG records?

Why isn't Sandy Berger sitting in Leavenworth right now, like I would be?
    I don't know. Why hasn't Delay been thrown out of congress?

Why ask why?
    Why
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    zezezezeezezezezezez....... WE GOT ONE ON BOYS!!!

It is not a matter of people keeping their money. It is a matter of not relying on the stock market.

e.g.
    AT THE CLOSING BELL WHEN BUSH TOOK OFFICE on January 22, 2001

Dow - 10,578.24
    Nasdaq - 2,757.91
    S&P 500 - 1,342.90

at 2:23 EST April 14, 2005

Dow 10,340.30
    Nasdaq 1,959.11
    S&P 500 1,168.62

Anyone who knows anything about the stockmarket knows you dont base anything on a four year snapshot. Not to mention you forgot to show the sharp decline and recovery between those two dates. That was pretty dumb but not surprising.
    Historically speaking, the stockmarket has performed well in all ten year periods in the last 100 years and almost all of the 5 year periods in that same time. It is very rarely risky if you put your money in for a long time and leave it there.

Those who daytrade are in danger of losing lots but that is not what we are talking about.
    1911sforever:
    "Why isn't Sandy Berger sitting in Leavenworth right now, like I would be?"
    NRG:
    "I don't know. Why hasn't Delay been thrown out of congress?"

Because Delay has only been tried in the court of the democrat controlled media, as opposed to a court of law. I know you people frequently confuse the two, but there it is.
    Last edited by 1911sforever; 04/15/2005 at 08:48 AM.
    I think President Bush has generated about every scrap of paper associated with his Guard service that was ever made. He certainly has had MUCH more press scrutiny that Kerry received. (You are aware, of course, of the discrepency of the discharge dates in what records Kerry has released. There is a strong case to be made that Kerry was dishonorably discharged for his treasonous act of travelling to Paris to meet with the enemy. This discharge was upgraded after Carter's amnesty.) Kerry has pledged to sign the 180...yet continues to fail to do so. Why do you think that is?
    "Show me how people will keep their money", you ask? THEY GET TO INVEST IT! And over time, the market has ALWAYS outperformed social security benefits.

Now you tell me how a decling labor pool can continue to support the antiquated social security system? Why are you indenturing the next generations of Americans?

By the way, just last night I learned that the social security act actually was argued before the Supreme Court. Now we know why Roosevelt moved to pack the court back then, and why the left is fighting so hard to retain control of the judiciary.