Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I cannot speak for others, but it seems to me that while social security is not in good shape, it will not fail as rapidly as Bush is telling us. There is a fair assessment of that in factcheck.org.

http://factcheck.org/article305.html

I think the program serves an important purpose, for example when a close friend's father died when she was young, social security helped her mom raise her and her brother and sisters. I am not sure how they would have done it otherwise. I think it is worth putting more money into, to make it solvent again. Just like dbrummels, I am willing to forego tax cuts to see it saved.
    hey if it would save ss, id give tax cuts up too. big deal
    however, if people are to give up tax cuts, then it must be made IMPOSSIBLE for the democratic party or anyone at all to just carelessly tap into the social security program to pay for their campaign programs and the like, would you all not agree?
    where were all these sharp criticisms when social security was being drained for such activities? why weren't there grand protests and great calls for "unselfishness" then?

like I said, these are kinds of contradictions I simply find intolerable
    I agree with you treobk that you cannot have both tax cuts as well as uncontrolled spending, you touch upon the crux of the matter.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    however, if people are to give up tax cuts, then it must be made IMPOSSIBLE for the democratic party or anyone at all to just carelessly tap into the social security program to pay for their campaign programs and the like, would you all not agree?
    where were all these sharp criticisms when social security was being drained for such activities? why weren't there grand protests and great calls for "unselfishness" then?

like I said, these are kinds of contradictions I simply find intolerable
    Treo, I think Bush should be held responsible for this as well. He has padded his budget with money took from SS's surplus. I do not think we should allow this. Clinton did it too, but, that doesn't make it right.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12