1.    #1  
    Sorry couldnt resist.

Just waiting unitil all the new 650 owners who can't seem do a search get tired of asking questions that have been discussed over and over again so that the board can get back to normal.
    Was it Coyote love?

Nothing like chewin off your arm so she doesn't wake up during your escape
  3.    #3  
    yeah but what if the arm/hand I would have to chew off was holding my 650!!!

Oh the dilema!
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Sorry couldnt resist.

Just waiting unitil all the new 650 owners who can't seem do a search get tired of asking questions that have been discussed over and over again so that the board can get back to normal.

Got to watch out for the beer goggles, man! Nothing but regret can come of that. :shortcut:

http://www.funlol.com/funpages/beergoggles.html
    yeah but what if the arm/hand I would have to chew off was holding my 650!!!

Oh the dilema!
    Hmmm. Well... if she's related to you... you might have to sacrifice the 650 and run. Otherwise breakfast is on you
    Chill out, seasoned Treo lovers. New users are not born with your "unlimited knowledge."

I'm with the underdog I'd rather see repeated questions by new users than tired threads like this one, whining about repeated questions.
  7.    #7  
    When people fail to do any search whatsoever it causes a real problem for the board as things get cluttered up, relevent threads are pushed way off the front page, it becomes difficult to find recent important threads and, most importantly, by creating redundent threads on topics that have already been covered, it makes it harder for people who DO search to make sure they have found the information they need. Further, the regular, well-informed posters stop posting as there threads rapidly get eaten up by the repeated questions. Also people get tired of answering the same questions over and over again so, often, the new poster gets ignored which causes hurt feelings as well (and NO information exchange)

I have joined new boards many times over the years, including this one a long time ago, and I always read the forum guidlines. The guidline here is pretty specific: Please do a search before posting a question.

I have no problem with new folks on the forum, but it is not difficult to do a search to see if the topic has been covered before. If you do a search and can't find anything, by all means post away. But over the past several weeks there has been times where the entire first two pages of the board were totally taken up by questions that a very simple search would have answered. Indeed, the worst thing about the search feature is that now, because so many have refused to bother with it as of late, it can return TOO many threads in response to a search request.

Frankly, though, I have given up. It appears that very few people read the guildlines or bother to even think of doing a search. Interestingly, from looking at the questions, they also seem to be those that don't think of looking in the manual that came with the phone either, so I'm sure this is a lost cause. Hence this post having a little fun while I wait for all of this to (hopefully) blow over so we can return to getting the most up-to-date info. Indeed, there was a time I would not have even posted this little heading -- even as cleaver as it was -- out of concern for cluttering up or pushing off important posts. At least I don't have THAT concern right now, LOL!
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Sorry couldnt resist.

I read this thread and wonder what "back to normal" means.

Then I pull up another post and someone mentiones (VC). You told the person to do a search (I dont know how they can search on "VC"). Are you search obsessed?

I think you are secretly excited for a new influx of questions so you can post "do a search".

Just to add, sometimes you can do a search and come up with a zillion threads that might mention one of the words you searched in one post and the other in another post. Sometimes looking for something isn't always as easy as "just do a search". It ALSO seems more of a waste to post "do a search" than to actually offer help. Since you complain of the posts going to the top, doesn't doing that keep it up there????

Isn't it really a moderators job to take care of duplicate thread topics anyway?
  9.    #9  
    Several responses to njchirs:

"Normal" means people discussing relevent 650 issues, not repeating for the 34th time a response to "Hey, my P key is sticking!"

I told the person to do a search for vienna channels if he wanted more info on it, not "VC" although that would work as well.

It is true that a search can sometimes come up with too many threads, that is the chief problem of people posting threads before seaching, which if you had read my posts carefully, you would have seen I mentioned. Also if you do a search and its too overwhelming and need to post, so be it. The problem is people that never search for questions that are easily found

It is quiet true that posting a "please do a search" post pushes others down the page. Which, if you had bothered to read, again, carefully, you would see is something I would not have done except for the fact that the board was so cluttered up as it was

Talk to the modirators. I have never seen them delete a thread because it contained a question that had been asked and answered.

The mods DO however, move threads like this to the room where percisely the people who dont think to do a search will NEVER see them !!! LOL
    do a search first and you'll find your damnit-do-a-search-first complaint has been exhaustingly covered ...
    Quote Originally Posted by njchris
    Isn't it really a moderators job to take care of duplicate thread topics anyway?
    Sure, but why is it so difficult for people to at least attempt to help themselves by searching (or how about just plain browsing) the forum?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...