Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    You do understand that the more restrictive law applies regarding Federal versus State. Please review the segregation issue as a refresher.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    You do understand that the more restrictive law applies regarding Federal versus State. Please review the segregation issue as a refresher.
    You do understand that we were talking about the government violating the 2nd amendment by establishing religion. At least that is what you kept saying the ACLU was trying to do. Still havent seen any instance of that. A couple of private schools using public funds to pay some teachers is NOT the government establishing a religion for all of us.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    You do realize that's not how the FIRST amendment has ever been interpreted and this was already covered in this thread.
    You do realize that's not how the FIRST amendment has ever been interpreted and this was already covered in this thread.
    Acctually it wasn't .. we pointed out several flaws in your logic and you blew right past them all.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    — The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

The amendment specificaly states CONGRESS and it states shall make no LAW.

There is absolutely nothing in any amendment about "seperation of church and state" it doesnt exist it is a "phantom amendment" created by the left that isn't getting questioned and it should. Left leaning courts need to stop making laws that is what we have the Congress for, courts have absolutely no authority to make law.
    Really? You know of all the interpretations ever? Wow you are knowledgeable.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

How do you interpret this?

I see Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; as the government not making us have one religion. I am guessing you think it means something else. Like what?

Why dont you just stick to the point and stop with all the misdirecting comments.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    Acctually it wasn't .. we pointed out several flaws in your logic and you blew right past them all.

— The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

The amendment specificaly states CONGRESS and it states shall make no LAW.

There is absolutely nothing in any amendment about "seperation of church and state" it doesnt exist it is a "phantom amendment" created by the left that isn't getting questioned and it should. Left leaning courts need to stop making laws that is what we have the Congress for, courts have absolutely no authority to make law.
    Glad I am not the only one who can see through all this leftist crap.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    nicely done, riekl.
    I contribute to the ACLU and the EFF.

At least he supports the EFF and not the ELF!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Supporting the establishment of a religion, as shown above, applys to any and all religious beliefs, including atheism, that government shall not "endorse" a religion by offering tax-payers money, etc.

I have not ONCE in this thread typed, "seperation of church and state". Why don't you try reading the Federalist Papers on this topic. You may gain some insight into what being an American truly is.
    Supporting the establishment of a religion, as shown above, applys to any and all religious beliefs, including atheism, that government shall not "endorse" a religion by offering tax-payers money, etc.

I have not ONCE in this thread typed, "seperation of church and state". Why don't you try reading the Federalist Papers on this topic. You may gain some insight into what being an American truly is.
    since you are such an expert on what it is to be an American why dont you quote some relevant passages for us. Maybe you'll be able to change your position again.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Haven't changed positions at all, but if you want to keep repeating lies in the hope it become truth, be my guest.
    Haven't changed positions at all, but if you want to keep repeating lies in the hope it become truth, be my guest.
    youre hilarious. what lies? please quote and reveal the truth.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    The lie that I've changed positions.

Perhaps if you did a little research yourself with your time instead of continuing to make ridiculous posts, you may achieve a better understanding of this subject matter.
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    "A lot" it two words not one. So please change "thanks alot" to "thanks a lot"
    no.
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    I am ashamed that my children can no longer experience Christmas in school, they can not sing carols they can not have decorations they cant even speak of it ! Jeudo-Christian values is what this country was founded on, it was not founded by athesists to create a nation of atheists.
    to quote:

"whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine"
    The consitution provides parameters for the "federal" government. But these cases (and several others, I'm sure) are "member" State matters. We are United States. States have representation at the federal level. Why is the federal judiciary branch involved at all in such matters? The Rhode Island (any state) legislature can do what it wants to do, based on its state consitution, can it not?

The constitution says Congres shall make no law..... It does not say, a member state shall make no law...

Why do we allow that federal mandate to be applied at the state level?

This is the first time I have thought of this. My question is serious.

----------------------------------------------------
    Just saw what Woof said:

Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    The fact that the second amendment specifically names Congress in it statement about establishing religion also kinda throws a case in a particular state out the window IMO. Werenot talking about individual states, were talking about the Federal Government. And dont try to say the use of the phrase "the state" was ever intended to mean a particular state like PA or RI. You know damn well that was not what we were talking about.
    "Actually, given the intent to apportion appreciation equally to all Bush supporters, 'alot' may in fact be appropriate"

Then you mean ALLOT not A LOT
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    This whole thing is stupid. The truth is that Bush can only propose a budget. Congress has to make the final say. If his budget is bad, it is up to them to stop it. That is how checks and balances work. If you don't like the way things are run, get out and vote! Get rid of your congress people because they are the ones that really make the decisions. Many of them have been in congress for decades and still complain about how things are done, but they don't do anything about it. Presidents can only impose their will for 8 years. Congress people can spend a lifetime messing things up.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    The consitution provides parameters for the "federal" government. But these cases (and several others, I'm sure) are "member" State matters. We are United States. States have representation at the federal level. Why is the federal judiciary branch involved at all in such matters? The Rhode Island (any state) legislature can do what it wants to do, based on its state consitution, can it not?

The constitution says Congres shall make no law..... It does not say, a member state shall make no law...

Why do we allow that federal mandate to be applied at the state level?

This is the first time I have thought of this. My question is serious.

----------------------------------------------------
    Just saw what Woof said:
    thats exactly what I was saying. This example pointed out by daThomas is not even on the subject. This was not an example of the ACLU protecting anyone nor was it the government establishing a religion.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    The Rhode Island (any state) legislature can do what it wants to do, based on its state consitution, can it not?
    No, a state law or constitution cannot deny a right given by the federal costitution.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast