Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those of you who are quick to complain about UN mismanagement (Rightly so, I think it's good to complain about mismanagement and act against it, but one should try to keep perspective):

"Audit: U.S. lost track of $9 billion in Iraq funds

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Nearly $9 billion of money spent on Iraqi reconstruction is unaccounted for because of inefficiencies and bad management, according to a watchdog report published Sunday."

Remember the times when Lawrence Lindsay, then Bush's Economic Advisor, had to leave the administration after making the outrageous claim that the costs of the war in Iraq would range between US$ 100 and 200 billion? With Bush's latest request for US$ 80 billion, the costs are already over 200 billion now (The Pentagon had claimed it would cost US$ 50 billion before the war - less than the previous Gulf war in Kuwait).

I also came across this quote of Andrew Natsios, administrator of the US Agency for International Development, the lead agency that is responsible for rebuilding the infrastructure of Iraq, part of the Bush administration. He made this statement two years ago, in an interview with ABC News:

"TED KOPPEL
    ... I understand that more money is expected to be spent on this than was spent on the entire Marshall Plan for the rebuilding of Europe after World War II.

ANDREW NATSIOS
    No, no. This doesn't even compare remotely with the size of the Marshall Plan.

TED KOPPEL
    (Off Camera) The Marshall Plan was $97 billion.

ANDREW NATSIOS
    This is 1.7 billion.

TED KOPPEL
    (Off Camera) All right, this is the first. I mean, when you talk about 1.7, you're not suggesting that the rebuilding of Iraq is gonna be done for $1.7 billion?

ANDREW NATSIOS
    Well, in terms of the American taxpayers contribution, I do, this is it for the US."

Oh well...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    I read that this morning too, 9 billion mismanaged. Well maybe the Bush admin is not good at managing a war. One thing the Bush admin is really good at is in resonding to criticism and I think they will do their best to respond to this, they way they always do.

You know, attack the person who is quoting the figures, destroy their credibility, etc.

If I had bombs dropping all over the place around me, I might forget where my wallet is. Seriously, it's a misstep by the US, but certainly doesn't mean it was stolen. Chump change when you look at the grand goal of all of this, a free Iraq.
    clulup have you ever started a thread that painted the US in a positive light?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Chump change when you look at the grand goal of all of this, free oil, and KFC's on every corner and open business markets for all the chronies.
    I understand when I forget where my $5.00 bill I got back from a store is (but then I know is in one of 4 pockets). I cannot understand 'missing' more than $500.00.
    We are talking about $8,800,000,000.00 dollars. That being said, I'm not surprised, nor shocked, being the administration in charge.
    Remember: You are an unique, individual person...just like everyone else
    of the things that happen in iraq this past week, this is what you think is most important?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    clulup have you ever started a thread that painted the US in a positive light?
    Hmm, does "Al Gore uses a Treo 600" count? Apart from that, none that I can remember. Have you? Or have you ever started a thread in which you painted the UN in a favourable light, or any other nation, organisation, or individual?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Hmm, does "Al Gore uses a Treo 600" count? Apart from that, none that I can remember. Have you? Or have you ever started a thread in which you painted the UN in a favourable light, or any other nation, organisation, or individual?
    no it doesnt count.

I dont make a habit of searching for only negative stuff to talk about. Besides we're not talking about me. If I had done any of those, it wouldn't make all your attacks justified. I dont think I have started any threads about the UN or another country.

What a sad little man you must be, to have nothing better to do than spread doom and gloom all day.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  10.    #10  
    What a sad little man you must be, to have nothing better to do than spread doom and gloom all day.
    Clearly you speak without knowledge of the general state of my mood, my size, and my posts in general... It seems to be a misconception based on our differring political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I think they will do their best to respond to this, they way they always do.

You know, attack the person who is quoting the figures, destroy their credibility, etc.

Woof you are so predictable
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Oh Boy! Here go. I think I will tag along for ride this time.
    Clearly you speak without knowledge of the general state of my mood, my size, and my posts in general... It seems to be a misconception based on our differring political views.
    Political views aside (seriously ) all I ever see from you is "bash the US". Even if I agree with you, it's always the same thing. Try a litle balance. You know damn well there are things the US does right. Try talking about them once in awhile.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Woof you are so predictable
    as are you, and clulup.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    please cell, you and clulup are just as predictable, if its anti-repubs, you're there.

don't mention that iraq voted for the first time in 50 years, clulup, ignore that right away. don't praise anything positive, guys.

just cut everything down. THATS PREDICTABLE.
    I'm sure that if we had had the Nazis's bankers looking after the money, it wouldnt have been mis-placed.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  17.    #17  
    Political views aside (seriously ) all I ever see from you is "bash the US". Even if I agree with you, it's always the same thing. Try a litle balance. You know damn well there are things the US does right. Try talking about them once in awhile.
    I liked "The Incredibles".
    And Bill Clinton. And that he showed the Europeans that they were too hesitant about Kosovo, and that they have to upgrade their armies a bit so that they can react faster. And Colin Powell, he knew what he was talking about when it came to war. And I like my iPod. And my Treo - As long as they are working. The charger of my iPod broke down on Friday, now that I think of it. What else... lots of things, actually, and quite a few people, too.
    The elections were not the subject of the post, but if you ask me, I think they are a great first step on a long road to democracy. I admire those who braved going out to vote. I hope that someday safety and prosperity will come to them.

As for Bush, I have been critical of him, but I have posted positive things about him too, for example I admire what he said recently during Martin Luther King ceremony:

"We need our children to know how great the struggle for racial justice in our society has been, and how much work remains to be done."

I will continue to speak my mind here, not reiterate some liberal or conservative weblog, but my own opinion. And if any of you don't like that, then I wish you a warm and hearty Cheney style congress floor salutation.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 01/31/2005 at 01:56 PM.
    I liked "The Incredibles".
    LOL. Disgree politically or not, I like you.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    The charger of my iPod broke down on Friday
    if you have some "chump change" here is an interesting product, I believe it works for treos too

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=69389
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 01/31/2005 at 02:09 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast