Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 130
  1. #101  
    I have no idea what the last two pages of arguing were about, but back to the original subject about Boxer and Rice....

    I think it's obvious that Boxer, being a first time senator, saw this as an opportunity to get some national publicity. There was no legitmate reason she had to grill Rice with such vigor. Generally a presidential cabinet nomination is always approved and the grilling is just a formality to prevent an Adolf Hitler or the head of the Ku Klux Klan from getting an appointment.

    I doubt Boxer even truly cared about any of Rice's answers. Just think about it. Does any single person here truly believe that there was anything Rice could've replied with that would've prompted Boxer into taking the heat of trying to seriously block the first ever appointment of a female, and a black female at that, to the most powerful cabinet position in the nation???

    If you answer yes, then that is your brain on drugs. So if Boxer never had any intention to even consider blocking the nomination then why waste so much time and make it so vindictive? Because for the personal career of Boxer, it was a brilliant move. I had never heard of her before but now I have as have many others. Mission accomplished for Boxer. Kudos to her. But it was at the sacrifice of bi-partisan cooperation. At some point a Boxer, or fellow Democrat associated with her, is going to have to work with the administration to get things done. How can Boxer now work with Rice, or those close around her in the administration, to get compromises now? So how was any of this in the best interests of the American people? It wasn't. This is why our gov't doesn't work right. Too many politicians (all parties) put their personal goals above those of their party and even country.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  2. #102  
    She is hardly a first-time Senator. We (being California) have been sending her to the Senate since 1992.

    But you are right, I really don't think she had an open mind at all about nominating Dr. Rice.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3. #103  
    Bobby...you should go back to the wienermoble. It looks better then a green condom
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  4. #104  
    Boxer was simply letting Rice know that we are not stupid, if you bs us, we will call you on it. She was saying what a lot of us feel, and good for her.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Boxer was simply letting Rice know that we are not stupid, if you bs us, we will call you on it. She was saying what a lot of us feel, and good for her.
    It's too bad that in comparison to Dr. Condee, Boxer did look stupid
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    It's too bad that in comparison to Dr. Condee, Boxer did look stupid
    You look at things with elephant shaded glasses, so it is not surprising that you will try to put Boxer down at every opportunity. But to me Boxer got the best of the situation hands down.

    Probably you would find it surprising, but I actually do like Condi too. She used to be my boss for several years, as University provost she was the one that used to sign my checks, and I used to run into her on campus now and then. She actually did a pretty good job here at Stanford before she left.

    I do respect her loyalty to Bush, through thick and thin, its just too bad in her first term she was put into the position of making a lot of thin explanations. I wish her well as Secretary of State.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 01/31/2005 at 10:09 PM.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I do respect her loyalty to Bush, through thick and thin, its just too bad in her first term she was put into the position of making a lot of thin explanations. I wish her well as Secretary of State.
    And she'll make a fine NFL Commissioner when she leaves the State Dept.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    And she'll make a fine NFL Commissioner when she leaves the State Dept.
    And along those lines, Boxer would make a great ring announcer for the WWE
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Boxer was simply letting Rice know that we are not stupid, if you bs us, we will call you on it. She was saying what a lot of us feel, and good for her.
    Why would Boxer need to take this particular occassion to let anyone know that, "we are not stupid?" Who was accusing her and whatever group of people your "we" refers to as being stupid? And if you feel some need to prove that your "we" is not stupid then do it on your own time and through your own resources - not during a confirmation hearing at the expense of American taxpayers such as myself.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  10. #110  
    Robert...except for the green condom, you are soo kewel
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Bobby...you should go back to the wienermoble. It looks better then a green condom
    I'm so disappointed. I changed it just for you Claire. I thought it would make us look like a cute couple being that it would match the green diaphragm on your avatar. :shortcut:
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Why would Boxer need to take this particular occassion to let anyone know that, "we are not stupid?" Who was accusing her and whatever group of people your "we" refers to as being stupid? And if you feel some need to prove that your "we" is not stupid then do it on your own time and through your own resources - not during a confirmation hearing at the expense of American taxpayers such as myself.
    "We" is the very large proportion of Americans* who feel they were mislead about the rationale for the Iraq war. If there is a chance that such frank discussion could possibly make war-planners think twice before trying to mislead us again in future costly and uneccessary enterprises, then I consider the short period of time of Boxer's questions a worthy investment.

    *tax-paying
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I'm so disappointed. I changed it just for you Claire. I thought it would make us look like a cute couple being that it would match the green diaphragm on your avatar. :shortcut:
    The pill, maybe the patch but never a diaphragm Thats like Grandma's underwear
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    The pill, maybe the patch but never a diaphragm Thats like Grandma's underwear
    Ahhhh.... Grandma's underwear!!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    "We" is the very large proportion of Americans* who feel they were mislead about the rationale for the Iraq war. If there is a chance that such frank discussion could possibly make war-planners think twice before trying to mislead us again in future costly and uneccessary enterprises, then I consider the short period of time of Boxer's questions a worthy investment.

    *tax-paying
    So "we" only includes taxpayers?? That certainly discounts the opinions of poor and lower income people, or are you suggesting that only "rich taxpayers" feel they were misled. Boxer certainly has no national constituency and was just playing for the "folks" back home.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Ahhhh.... Grandma's underwear!!
    Granny dont wear no thong
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    "We" is the very large proportion of Americans* who feel they were mislead about the rationale for the Iraq war. If there is a chance that such frank discussion could possibly make war-planners think twice before trying to mislead us again in future costly and uneccessary enterprises, then I consider the short period of time of Boxer's questions a worthy investment.

    *tax-paying
    Such frank discussion is encouraged in our society - but in the appropriate forum. Would you discuss the SuperBowl in the middle of a funeral? I would hope not. Similarly, the confirmation hearings are not for Ms. Boxer, or any other congressman, to be USED as a forum to express their own political opinions are about such issues. If every Congressman had done that, the hearings would've lasted for months. There are plenty of other outlets for expressing such opinions. Boxer could've given an interview to the Washington Post. Or I'm sure CNN would have granted her an interview on her own time for such discussion. There she could've attacked Rice all she wanted without actually wasting Rice's time and the time of every other Congressman who was there for the intended purpose of the hearing.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Granny dont wear no thong
    Granny goes commando?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    So "we" only includes taxpayers??
    Sorry, my mistake, but I did not mean to imply that.

    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Boxer certainly has no national constituency and was just playing for the "folks" back home.
    The majority of people across the nation, like Boxer, believe we were mislead about Iraq. Its obvious, look at the Harris poll:

    http://www.harrisinteractive.com/har...ex.asp?PID=490
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Such frank discussion is encouraged in our society - but in the appropriate forum. Would you discuss the SuperBowl in the middle of a funeral? I would hope not. Similarly, the confirmation hearings are not for Ms. Boxer, or any other congressman, to be USED as a forum to express their own political opinions are about such issues. If every Congressman had done that, the hearings would've lasted for months. There are plenty of other outlets for expressing such opinions. Boxer could've given an interview to the Washington Post. Or I'm sure CNN would have granted her an interview on her own time for such discussion. There she could've attacked Rice all she wanted without actually wasting Rice's time and the time of every other Congressman who was there for the intended purpose of the hearing.
    Ah, yes, how inappropriate it is to discuss politics in a political body like the Senate. I agree it seems quite out of place.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions