Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    sweet
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I've now found themes and extensions! This is fun!
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Installed firefox and a host of extensions to see if I can replicate what I love about Maxthon. So far it's good, but not great. There are a few key features I still am lacking (though to my surprise extensions have really kicked this thing up a notch or two). Perhaps the most amazing thing about the browser is its ability to use so many extensions without doing the Bill Gates Blue Screen Shuffle.
    Eh, famous last words. My firefox bookmarks are gone and I can't get them back. Oh well. Back to a real browser.
    Check out the Noia theme jkoons
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Eh, famous last words. My firefox bookmarks are gone and I can't get them back. Oh well. Back to a real browser.
    Definitely sounds like an EBKAC.

Try File/Import..... Pretty easy.
    No, the bookmarks are there, just not visible (i can use the menu, but I can't use the toolbar). If a browser can screw up after a few minutes, I'm not using it. Maxthon has served me well for over a year. No need to change.

And thanks for implying I'm an *****. You're a class act.
    And thanks for implying I'm an *****. You're a class act.
    Whatever dude, and you weren't being a baby and spitting on millions of Firefox users when you said this:

My firefox bookmarks are gone and I can't get them back. Oh well. Back to a real browser.
    Maybe it's your hacked Internet Explorer that's causing the bookmarks issue? I've never heard of that before.
    It isn't my "hacked" IE because I successfully imported the bookmarks. They even worked for a few sessions. Then poof.

BTW, I wasn't "spitting" on anyone, only a product. There's a big difference. :-) Products can't take things personally.
    But vicariously spitting on the product's users! If I said Volvo's aren't real cars and you owned a volvo, wouldn't you be upset? anyway......

Bookmarks work thru the menu but not thru the button?
    Yeah, the bookmark toolbar is blank. I tried to hide it an try again, no dice. Same goes for the bookmark sidebar.

I may try again sometime, but as of now I have a browser that does everything I need and has never caused me a problem, so I'm going to stick with it.
    ok, i wont go searching for a solution then
    ...If a browser can screw up after a few minutes, I'm not using it...
    Wow... I'll quote a line from "The Burbs": "If your kid spills his milk do you smack him in the back of the head?"

You said you installed "a host of extentions." I'd like to remind you that all extentions are written by 3rd party programmers and they offer no gaurantee.

I'm willing to bet cold hard cash that one of your extentions is not playing well with another, or with FF itself. This is not FF's fault. Its much like if you went and installed faulty (unknowingly) tires on your new car, and a few days later you suddenly lose control and crash. Is that the cars fault? Should you completely stay away from that brand and/or model of car? Wouldn't seem quite rational to me.

I think what it boils down to is the fact that you've got something that works for you and you feel you have no reason to give it up for an alternative. Thats fine... thats how I originally felt about IE... untill each of my systems began having issues related to IE. I no longer stand by IE. FF is my friend.
    Lately I started my MS Outlook and discoverd that the "auto-complete" function doesn't work any more (don't know what it's called: you start typing the email and the full address is displayed). No crash, nothing, it's just gone. Major pain, because I had hundreds or thousands of mail addresses in there. I know which file the addresses are stored in (outlook.nk2), the file is still there, but it doesn't work any more...

Oh well, time to go back to a real mail program -
    oh, holy moly [instead of **** - my appologies if anybody felt offended by **1* ], I can't, because I have to stick to bloody MS because that's what we use at work. Which reminds me of the time when my IE caused a major bluescreen issue and I had to reinstall the system because it couldn't boot Windows NT any more... oh well, at least Firefox works flawlessly!
    Last edited by clulup; 01/27/2005 at 05:26 PM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    "The Burbs": "If your kid spills his milk do you smack him in the back of the head?"

You said you installed "a host of extentions." I'd like to remind you that all extentions are written by 3rd party programmers and they offer no gaurantee.
    The problem is I need those extensions to make it anything like what I'm pondering abandoning. From that perspective, they are part and parcel to Firefox. I'm not putting anyone down here: not the FF developers, not the extension developers, not the users. I just don't want to use what I see as an inferior product. Everyone take a deep breath. :-)
    Firefox will not prevent all spyware from appearing. Popup oriented spyware via websites will be blocked but any embeded objects in Outlook or Outlook Express will do it too, just not as fast. Thunderbird does mitigate that problem. Since so many 3rd party apps work with OE or Outlook, my clients still use it (Norton Antispam).

Look to Caldera for a ActiveX tool. They are getting very close to something on the Linux platform to replace IE's functionality completely, but I hope it doesn't introduce the very problem that IE has.

Now for you Firefox Junkies: have you ever tried putting Firefox on a USB flash drive..I just plug it in and run it from the drive, no matter what PC I am sitting at. I always have my bookmarks and extensions. I can also confirm that USB flash drives will survive multiple trips through the laundry!

The only negative so far with Firefox is up until 1.0, Lotus Domino WebMail worked...now the server won't talk to 1.0. Bummer.

Party on!
    Derek
    Quote Originally Posted by computerfixitguy
    Now for you Firefox Junkies: have you ever tried putting Firefox on a USB flash drive..I just plug it in and run it from the drive, no matter what PC I am sitting at. I always have my bookmarks and extensions.
    That's sick! I never thought of that... "FireFox Anywhere"
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Internet Explorer allows you to right-click on a link (to a ZIP file for example) and select 'Save Link As...'. Does FireFox have the capability as well?
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jkoons
    Internet Explorer allows you to right-click on a link (to a ZIP file for example) and select 'Save Link As...'. Does FireFox have the capability as well?
    Of course. The context menu of Firefox is actually more versatile than that of IE in my view. For instance, you can save the link to a pic directly. Or, if you have the Googlebar extension installed, you have many Googlebar features in the context menu.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    I love the "DownloadThemAll" extension.... Can batch download all or selected target files (pics movies zips whatever) linked from a webpage..
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast