Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293435363738394041 LastLast
    Parity--another name for mediocrity!
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Both conferences are full of parity. There is no team you can point to in the NFL as the Super Bowl favorite. Every team has major flaws comparable to the Eagles defensive line. The Super Bowl is just going to come down to which team gets hot and gets some lucky breaks in the playoffs. Just like that first year NE won the SB or the year that TB did.

Like Mark said, the Eagles had some bad breaks in the first half of the season. Two games lost by last second FG's, one game choked into OT against the Giants, and McNabb going down. Yet the Eagles have managed to overcome all that to win their 5th division title in six years. They are the hottest team in the NFC at the moment with five straight wins. I can't guarantee they'll be in the SB - but let me know what team's fan can. I just know that they are quite capable of winning on the road in New Orleans and Chicago. But that's getting ahead of myself.

For all you Giants fans out there, just know that I was rooting for your team to get the last wildcard this week. There is nothing more that I would like to start off 2007 with than to have Tiki's last game ever be a humiliating loss at the Linc. We will be sure to wish him well into retirement, Philly style... "TIKI! TIKI! TIKI! TIKI! TIKI!"
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Both conferences are full of parity.
    Yes, each conference is full of parity. Unfortunately, there is no parity between the conferences. It's like saying your local little league and MLB each have a lot of parity. It's true as far as it goes.
    Overall the NFC has the larger number of Detroit Lion type teams but take the top two or three teams in each conference and compare them all. There is parity between team.
    Overall the NFC has the larger number of Detroit Lion type teams but take the top two or three teams in each conference and compare them all. There is parity between team.
    Can't quite agree. I think the AFC in San Diego and Baltimore has the closest thing to complete teams in the NFL this year. After that, there is room to argue.

In the NFC, I think no one is really impressed with the Bears. The Eagles still don't have a lock down defense. Their offense will be fine. Other "top" NFC teams like Seattle and the Giants and the Cowboys look to be remarkably mediocre. I'm not sure anyone yet believes in the Saints. In the NFC, given its weakness, the Eagles have about as good a chance as anyone, except that they will have to play two critical games on the road, which may doom them.

Still, when you watch the Colts be shut out by Miami which then goes up to Buffalo and is shut out there, well, anything can happen!
    There are two big question marks in San Diego. One is Schottenhemier. I think he's a good coach in general, but I think he's had so many bad experiences in the playoffs that he clams up, gets conservative & has coached pretty poorly the last few years. Remember the Jets playoff loss?

The other question mark is Phillip Rivers. No first year QB has ever gone to the Super Bowl - regardless of how good they've played during the season. Just ask Steelers fans about the Pats game two years ago. And SD might be facing the Pats as well in their first playoff game. If I were a SD fan, I'd be very concerned.

You maybe right about Baltimore but I'm not going to put them up on a pedestal yet. Can you imagine a low scoring Bears/Ravens SB? Not that I'm sold on Chicago. Grossman has been erratic from week to week. Downright dreadful in some. They also gave something like 3 or 4 TD's in the last quarter against TB the other week. That's gotta make you wonder about their D.
    Yo Bob-C...well, the muffed hold by Romo and our season is over. I was however very happy to see the Iggles beat the Giants. For two reasons...1) I still don't like Eli because of his look when he was drafted by San Diego (kinda had the look of, "I can't believe I have to play football with these loosers") and 2) I was rooting for Garcia. Not too many hispanic QBs in the league (besides Romo).

Now, the only team I really care about is San Diego...Philip Rivers is from NC State so that's all I have to root for.

Too bad I don't really care about basketball...it's going to be a long off-season!
    Everyone in Philly got a really big chuckle out of Romo's botch as you can imagine. I though, along with some others, were hoping for T.O. & the Boys to make a playoff appearance in Philly. One more "O.D.", chant for the season.

After Akers put the final nail in Tiki's retirement coffin, I couldn't help but SMS my Cowboys buddy saying, "Now THAT is how to kick a game winning FG! Hope Romo was taking notes on getting the ball down!"

The Bird's are shaking & baking right now. Too bad we have to play N.O. I am still sympathetic to that city & I'm sure the Birds will be America's villains this week. Garcia is playing very well though and Westbrook is thumping everywhere behind a dominating OL. Shake & bake!! Just hope we can get over Lito being out & Sheldon banged up.

The game of the week will be NE/SD though. I can't wait to see how that one shapes up.
    How far do you think the Eagles have to make it into the playoffs before McNabb doesn't have a starting job when he comes back?

Do you think he's already lost his starting job or will it take a superbowl victory...or somewhere in between?
    That's the big question in Philly right now. Everyone in Philly loves the guy. He has that feisty underdog, against all odds, overachiever, Rocky Balboa-like image that our city so relishes.

My personal thinking was that if he wins a Super Bowl he would remain the starter and maybe we could turn a big trade for McNabb. Then I noticed that Garcia turns 37 next month where as McNabb just turned 31 in November. I think Elway retired at 38. So regardless of how good Garcia is this year, how many more years can we realistically expect that level of performance from him? Garcia only has a one year deal and the Eagles have had a policy of only paying for their expectation of future performance and not past. So I would imagine other teams would outbid us next year. I wish Garcia was a couple of years younger.

On top of that, I think Donovan is Andy Reid's stepchild. Those two are linked at the hip and I have trouble seeing Reid get rid of him.

What about T.O. and Tuna? Which do you think will be back in Dallas?
    The closer we get to kickoff, the worse feeling I get about about the Saints game. Especially when I see the local news run Eagles stories every 5 mins or so. It's like setting us up for another fall. Oh well...... GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Get ready for a lot of noise in the dome. This city is going crazy down here.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    There are two big question marks in San Diego. One is Schottenhemier. I think he's a good coach in general, but I think he's had so many bad experiences in the playoffs that he clams up, gets conservative & has coached pretty poorly the last few years. Remember the Jets playoff loss?
    Wow, for once we are in complete agreement!

Plus, they are scared. Refusing to sell tickets to Pats fans? How lame can you get? And let them keep talking trash, Bill's boys absolutely THRIVE on that.

The other question mark is Phillip Rivers. No first year QB has ever gone to the Super Bowl - regardless of how good they've played during the season. Just ask Steelers fans about the Pats game two years ago. And SD might be facing the Pats as well in their first playoff game. If I were a SD fan, I'd be very concerned.
    Surely you expected me to challenge this one. Brady was a first year QB when he won his first ring. Not a rookie, but first year starter, same as Rivers.

That said, Rivers is NOT Brady. And the Pats D has been outstanding. This is going to be a good game. Of course my beloved Patriots will win!!!

I wish your Eagles luck, they have showed a lot of heart and spirit this season when everyone, including you I believe, thought they were done. I think NO will prove too much for them though, as long as they can contain BW.

The Ravens will spank the Colts. Peyton will blame someone else.

Chicago will barely beat (pun intended) the Seahawks. In spite of, not because of, Grossman.

Superbowl? NE vs NO. We both know who will win.

Enjoy the playoffs!!!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I think the Ravens are going for the AFC. If SD doesn't clam up and beats NE, I think it will be a great game against BAL. On the other hand, if NE beats SD, then BAL is definitely going to the SB. No offense to NE but BAL is the most rounded team and SD is their own worst enemy in the first game. Tom Brady not withstanding, Jabar Gaffney (!) isn't going to carry the WR's like he did last week. Man... the Eagles cut that guy in preseason & he led the team in receptions last weekend catching more balls than he did the entire season! And remember when Doug Gabriel was the man for a few weeks before getting cut? They might get through SD for the aforementioned reasons, but the offense is just too unbalanced this year to get through the AFC playoffs. C'mon... be honest for a second Jo.

In MY honest opinion, I'd have to pick BAL over NO. So I guess I'm just going to have to be dishonest and pick the Eagles over BAL!! I think the NO game is going to be close though and the winner goes to Miami. The keys to the game will be the banged up Eagles secondary vs the NO WR's and NO's DL vs the Eagles OL pounding BW down their throat. Joe Horn being out has gotta help us.

BTW, heard Bobby Hebert say that the NO fans are going to be chasing whiskey shots with their beer!

Parting thought for Jo... $100M dropped over a Japanese pitcher who hasn't even played in MLB?!? I think there are two Evil Empires in MLB now.
    Gooooo SAINTS!!!!
    Sorry. Just had to do it. Now back to your regularly scheduled program - um, thread.
    Last edited by sblanter; 01/13/2007 at 10:41 PM.
    Well the Birds season is over. It was a classic game. They had their chances but came up just short. By the end of the game the deficiencies in the Eagles DL came to the surface as they were pushed around. Hope they get some big DT next year and replace Dhani Jones. Also wish the coaching staff could adapt enough during the game to realize Blitz = Screen = Saints big play. So easy a caveman do it.

The Bears/Seahawks was equally exciting. People make fun of kickers but I don't know how a guy boot a 49 yd FG with all that pressure. That's gotta take nerves of steel.

Its 14-10 right now with SD up at halftime. NE seems to have no answer to LT right now. Am guessing they will wear down NE in the second half.

Can ANYONE tell me what's up with the Colts playing smash mouth, power football?!???? Not only did they dominate on defense two weeks in a row, they completely wore down and ran the ball right at BAL. It's the Bizarro World Colts. Any BAL fans out there who can tell me how bad it was to lose to the (formerly BAL) Colts?
    eagles played pretty well. It was crushing to see that pass be completed to baskett and then called back. (Scott young replacing Shawn Andrews was huge.)

I still can't understand why they punted.

Still, The Saints are as good any NFC team. And I think every Eagles player at this point is saying they'd like to see the Saints in Philly on a short week with the Eagles having a bye....

Now, the AFC, that's a different story. SD, NE, Colts, Ravens--they're all better than any NFC team IMHO.
    Where do I begin?

Oh yeah, I remember now....WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

So I was 3-1 on my picks for the weekend, and what a weekend it was! The Eagles played very well all things considered, as I knew they would.

Indy...holy crap. What happened to them? They manhandled the ravens, I was not expecting that at all.

Bob, I am being honest here. I'll grant you the pats offense has been very unpretty all season, BUT they are getting the job done. And as usual, their defense stepped up in a big way. Yes, LT had a great game, but even HE was not enough. What a game. Both teams played hard. Both made some great plays. Both made some mistakes. All that matters is the W.

Now on to the Colts. A better matchup than the ravens, I think. Yeah, they spanked us earlier this year, but even you have to admit that both teams have changed a LOT since then, and we just beat the (second ) best team in the NFL. It's gonna be a great game....almost as good as the NE/NO superbowl is going to be!!!

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!

BTW, I'm with you on the $100M unproven pitcher. These salaries are waaaaaayyyy out of control.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Wouldn't it have made more sense to spend, what would've been less money, on a proven Barry Zito? Add him to Schill & Beckett and it's an absolute guarantee that you have the best rotation in baseball. I just don't get it.

As for the Pats... I just don't get that either. All I can say is that Tom Brady is the luckiest guy in the world. He had a pretty mediocre game. He missed a wide open Ben Watson on what would've been a TD. Then at the end of the game on 4th down he throws a ball right to a DB. If he knocks it down the game is over. If he intercepts and falls down as well. But no. He intercepts, fumbles and the Pats get a first down, go onto score and win. When considering the whole tuck thing that happened and that he got his career going only by a Bledsoe, he HAS to be the luckiest guy in the world. Not that he's not good because he's great but just seems that when he makes a critical mistake in a big game some force of nature overturns it. The second luckiest guy in the world is Bellichick for having him. How many times did NE put a fumble on the ground only to somehow recover EVERY single one?!? And why did Bellichick hold their most talented RB, Maroney, out of the game so long? For crying out loud Kevin Faulk got a series before he did.

Well congrats and good luck against the Colts. They've beaten the Pats the last TWO times they've played them & will be playing at home where the astroturf favors their speed. But I'm going to pick the Pats anyway just because of whatever deal Brady & Bellichick signed with the devil. Which one of them turns into the Ghost Rider in the presence of evil?

BTW, if you'll notice my picks have not worked out so well.