Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    As for him going to Dallas....does anyone here really think Parcells will put up with his crybaby antics for even half a second?
    You bite your tongue! I don't want his sorry **** in Dallas! And I don't think many of the fans would like it since his running to the middle of the field on the Dallas star after scoring on us. If he goes to the Big-D, I'm blaming you for jinxing us!

But what I would like is for a team to pick him up with all sort of contingencies in his contract about his conduct and what he can/cannot do/say. And let him loose out on the cash he was making in Philly. I think he's setting a nice example for those other "Divas" (not sure if Diva is the right word for a guy, but it sure does seem to fit).
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    You bite your tongue! I don't want his sorry **** in Dallas! And I don't think many of the fans would like it since his running to the middle of the field on the Dallas star after scoring on us. If he goes to the Big-D, I'm blaming you for jinxing us!

But what I would like is for a team to pick him up with all sort of contingencies in his contract about his conduct and what he can/cannot do/say. And let him loose out on the cash he was making in Philly. I think he's setting a nice example for those other "Divas" (not sure if Diva is the right word for a guy, but it sure does seem to fit).
    AHH you got my joke, not sure if anyone was going to put together Owens and the star dance in Dallas or not.
    I hear the Redskins are going to give TO a game ball for Sunday's victory!

As for TO in Dallas, I think that would be great. And after he screws up that team, send him on to NY and let him F up the Giants, too.

But Philly got what it deserved. They should have known what TO would do, both on the field and off. If they weren't willing to accept 2 year old behavoir, they shouldn't have signed him.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    AHH you got my joke, not sure if anyone was going to put together Owens and the star dance in Dallas or not.
    I was wondering who would bring that up too....great stuff.

As for him being a diva...it fits. He cries like a little girl when he doesn't get his way....

I agree Philly got what they deserved. Nobody should be surprised. It would be great to see behavior clauses in his contract wherever he goes, though I sincerely hope wherever he goes has nothing at all to do with the NFL.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I think TO in Dallas is a very good possiblity. First, you got Michael Irvin who would lobby for him and convince Jerry Jones that he would fit in there. Second, you have Jerry Jones whose track record shows he's just crazy enough to try it. Or have you already forgotten about firing Jimmy Johnson to hire Barry Switzer, or Quincy Carter in the first round? The last piece of the puzzle is Parcells. If he's only planning to coach one more year and then quit yet another job, a one year run at the Super Bowl with TO might be appealing since he wouldn't be around for year two mess.

As far as the star dancing goes, I recall Dallas welcomed Deion Sanders after he helped the Niners beat Dallas in the conference championship game. For 15 TD's a year I'll think they'll forget. I wonder if Irvin will let TO where his #88.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Philly got what it deserved??? I agree in that TO was instrumental in that he helped us get their first Super Bowl since 1980 while every other team besides NE sat wishing they were in the Super Bowl.

Despite everything that happened this year, it was still worth it and I would do it all over again. Because how often do you get a chance to have the best WR in the NFL on your team? The Eagles had an opportunity to win a Super Bowl and compete for SB's for a number of years and they seized it. It's just a shame it didn't last longer. I agree that it has become so dysfunctional that he has to go now but the question becomes is who are the Eagles going to replace him with? They can't. They can only substitute players with varying degrees of production drop off.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    A sure sign of the end of the world?

Owens apologizes to Eagles, McNabb and fans

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Philly got what it deserved??? I agree in that TO was instrumental in that he helped us get their first Super Bowl since 1980 while every other team besides NE sat wishing they were in the Super Bowl.
    Well, if you want to argue that the Iggles got to the SB b/c they had home-field advantage, then you can make that argument...but the Eagles got through the entire playoffs without T.O. (Thanks to the cowboys and the horse-collar tackle).
    I think I like T.O. -- maybe he was just misunderstood...

...Neighbors described Owens as a quiet, private person who was friendly when approached. His next-door neighbor, Marybeth Tallas, has four sons who love living next to Owens.

"He's a delightful man, soft-spoken, a religious man, so different than his TV persona," Tallas said. "What's gone on this year is really a shame."

Killion remembered last Halloween, when his son, Bill, came to Owens's house dressed as President Bush. "T. O. looked at my son dressed like Bush and said, 'You've come to the wrong house,' " said Killion, laughing.

But even Owens's neighborhood, loaded with Eagles fans, seemed split on how the team should handle the situation.

"They should take him back," Killion said. "Both sides are culpable. The Eagles and T. O. both made mistakes. The guy has a big ego, but on the field, I love him. What do you do when you have a player who has a big ego? You stroke him. I don't think they were stroking him enough."...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I think I like T.O. -- maybe he was just misunderstood...

...Neighbors described Owens as a quiet, private person who was friendly when approached. His next-door neighbor, Marybeth Tallas, has four sons who love living next to Owens.

"He's a delightful man, soft-spoken, a religious man, so different than his TV persona," Tallas said. "What's gone on this year is really a shame."
    That's the worst part about this whole situation: I think TO has all the tools to be a great player and person. He has just chosen to throw it all away. I feel sorry for him, but he deserves to be kicked off the team. I feel sorry for him because he has squandered such a gift.
    Well, if you want to argue that the Iggles got to the SB b/c they had home-field advantage, then you can make that argument...but the Eagles got through the entire playoffs without T.O. (Thanks to the cowboys and the horse-collar tackle).
    Not only did he give us the home advantage, he re-energized both the team and a fan base that was suicidally depressed after 3 straight championship game losses. And if TO didn't play in that SB, it would not have come down to lthose last few lousy time mismanaged - GOD IT STILL GETS ME MAD TO THINK ABOUT - final minutes of the Super Bowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    And if TO didn't play in that SB, it would not have come down to lthose last few lousy time mismanaged - GOD IT STILL GETS ME MAD TO THINK ABOUT - final minutes of the Super Bowl.
    Doesn't make me mad. :-) And with the way this season is going, it's all I have...
    Kind of feel sorry for the Eagles...NOT!!
    Being a NY Giants fan maybe we'll actually beat them this year. So far I'm loving this season. Can't remember the last time I felt this good about the Giants. But we are like Philadelphia....we will find a way to ruin the season and end in heart-break.
    Eagles would never trade T.O. in their division. That would be suicide.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericroberts
    Kind of feel sorry for the Eagles...NOT!!
    Being a NY Giants fan maybe we'll actually beat them this year. So far I'm loving this season. Can't remember the last time I felt this good about the Giants. But we are like Philadelphia....we will find a way to ruin the season and end in heart-break.
    Eagles would never trade T.O. in their division. That would be suicide.
    they may be forced to cut him -- in which case they can't control where he goes.

suppose no one will take TO's existing contract -- will Phila. be willing to subsidize another team's "risk" ???

what if they play hard ball with Philly, knowing he'll be on the open market available at a discount anyway -- why make a trade ??

could happen -- he could land amongst the cowgrls (I don't see him in NY or DC because of their coaches)
    Last edited by BARYE; 11/10/2005 at 09:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    could happen -- he could land amongst the cowgrls (I don't see him in NY or DC because of their coaches)
    Well, the big Tuna isn't very patient or good with stroking these guys egos either....he threw out Keyshawn because of "altercation" in practice. But Jerry Jones may step in...he does like to dish out cash for big names. I'd rather the cowboys save their money for Philip Rivers (2nd string QB for the Chargers who asked to be traded instead of sitting the bench behind Brees next year...who happens to be a NCSU alumnus)
    Owens still has friends with 49ers
    By Ann Killion Mercury News

...some of Owens' former SF teammates ... view T.O. as simply a different guy who made their team much, much better.

``It takes all kinds to make a championship team,'' said former 49ers tackle Derrick Deese, who is rehabilitating from an injury in Southern California. He had run-ins with Owens in the 49ers' locker room, but he considers him a friend.

``I know T.O. to be a nice guy,'' Deese said. ``A team player. A guy who wants to win real bad. I don't think he destroyed our locker room. I think he gets a bad rap.''

Does he? Deese was there when Owens first came into the league, a shy young man who called reporters ``ma'am'' and ``sir.'' He was absorbed into a locker room full of veteran leaders, into a culture that didn't allow for disruption or egomaniacs.

``Sometimes it takes a team to corral a guy,'' Deese said.
    Eventually we learned that Owens' background was one of unbelievable sadness and deprivation. He lived with a strict, unloving grandmother who was an alcoholic and took him to visit bootleggers. His mother lived across town with his other siblings.

He was taunted for his awkwardness and dark skin. When he was a young teenager and developed a crush on a girl across the street, he was told abruptly by the girl's father to leave her alone. Why? Because she was his half-sister. The man he had lived across from all his life was the father he didn't know he had. He had few role models or order.

``When he feels like someone is testing him he's going to push back,'' Peterson said. ``Growing up, there was no one there to parent him.''

With the 49ers, Owens initially had leaders and structure. But then he signed his first big contract and soon the 49ers veterans began to depart. The front office fell apart. There was backbiting and infighting at all levels. And there was only one true star, one playmaker: T.O.

And he didn't know how to handle it.

...I sat with him in an interview room in 2001, talking about his relationship with his mother and grandmother for a Mother's Day story. Within minutes Owens was sobbing openly, pulling up his T-shirt over his face to catch his tears. The next minute he was angrily deriding Steve Mariucci for disciplining him over the Dallas star incident.

...In Deese's mind it all comes back to the Super Bowl. Owens wanted to leave the 49ers to play on a winner. He wanted to play in the Super Bowl so much that he was risking his health. The Eagles made him sign a waiver because of his injured right ankle, but if the situation had been reversed -- and the Eagles wanted him to play and Owens was reluctant -- the team wouldn't have signed a similar waiver.

Deese believes that, in Owens' mind, physical sacrifice and the unusual waiver request changed the contract dynamics.

It became an issue of sacrifice and reward, an issue the men who risk their health and future every Sunday can understand. And, yes, some of those men still call T.O. a friend.
    Some of the Eagles feel that way too. The biggest problem is that McNabb is NOT one of those Eagles. I've heard Dawkins and Trotter talk about him being a good guy. Dawk said he's always a hard worker who gives his all to help the team win and that he's always honest but that's not always good thing and that he doesn't understand WHY he decides to say some of the things he does instead of just keeping those things to himself and being tactful with your answers. I think it's like that episode of Married with Children when Kelly kept mixing up thinking to herself with talking out loud. ("Oh did I just said that out loud? I thought I was just thinking again.")

It's quite ironic. TO just doesn't understand that not being 100% honest and sharing every thought in his head instead of just giving a tactful Yes or No can be more appropriate. Whereas Andy Reid is the opposite. He rarely gives you ANY honest answer and always just blames himself instead of EVER acknowleding that ANYONE on the team had a bad performance. It insults the intelligence of all the Eagles fans when McNabb may have just completed 25% of his passes and thrown 5 INT's and Andy is saying he sees nothing wrong with his game and then blames himself. But it has bonded the team to him. Not to say that TO also doesn't have a major ego problem, but it would very manageable ego problem if he just learned that honesty is NOT the best policy with interviews.
    Well, the big Tuna isn't very patient or good with stroking these guys egos either....he threw out Keyshawn because of "altercation" in practice. But Jerry Jones may step in...he does like to dish out cash for big names. I'd rather the cowboys save their money for Philip Rivers (2nd string QB for the Chargers who asked to be traded instead of sitting the bench behind Brees next year...who happens to be a NCSU alumnus)
    Keyshawn is high maintenance guy too. If Parcells is okay with managing that knucklehead, he should be okay with doing the same for a guy who score him 15 TD's and cause all kinds of problems for the other defense. Personally, I could never figure out why Parcells picked up Key. He provides the same headaches as TO with less than half the production. The big difference is that Parcells manages Key better because he is confrontational in his coaching style. Andy Reid isn't and that's what he needed to do with TO. Instead of confrontation, Reid just gets rid of a guy whereas Parcells will get right in his face. Reid needed to smack TO down harder back in training but instead gave him enough rope. I think Parcells is one of the few coaches that would do fine with TO.

BTW, the Eagles have an option on TO in March to void the rest of his contract so I don't think this situation will end in a trade. TO will probably just be released at the end of the season.
    Interesting post about TO's childhood. I never knew that and it helps explain a lot. Doesn't make me sympathetic but it's good to know he doesn't behave this way because he's always been spoiled.

I think the way you saw Reid handle TO was due more to an organizational decision then a coaching style. I'm sure the Eagles ownership/management decided early on that things might spiral out of control with TO and that McNabb was their guy. In order to make the separation less of a headache for the Eagles, from a grievance perspective, they just went by the book regarding the discipline so TO wouldn't have a case when they got rid of him (document, document, document). What we've seen over the past couple days was just the logical conclusion to a management plan that was cast a long time ago. If they had been interested in keeping TO, you probably would have seen him handled differently. Just my $.02.
    i hate this whole situation. ive met TO and i know hes a great person. a great person who has been mishandled by the Eagles organization. good leadership wouldve been able to handle him. too bad our organization is hypacritical and doesnt know how to treat superstars. i love the TEAM FIRST way as much as the next guy, but man throw a guy a bone when he goes far above and beyond like TO has for the Eagles organization and the TEAM. sure has hasnt handled alot of things the right way, but the Eagles didnt handle things right either.
    and to basically end the season for the best WR in the league when other players do drugs and kill people in DUIs and they get one or two games. ridiculous.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"