1.    #1  
    WASHINGTON -- They stormed into Congress a decade ago, a fresh-faced band of Republican candidates brandishing a Contract with America that promised balanced budgets, ''citizen legislators" who would serve and return to the private sector, and a restored trust in the nation's elected leaders as the GOP took control of the House for the first time in 40 years.
    ADVERTISEMENT

But after 10 years of Republican control of the House, members of the majority party appear to have strayed from some of the promises that got them there. The nation is running up record budget deficits, term-limit pledges are being jettisoned, and House Republicans voted last week to weaken the ethics-enforcement process in Congress.

...more:
    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa...s_in_contract/
    Quote Originally Posted by nudist
    When you did your cut and paste, you should have taken the time to remove ADVERTISEMENT
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    When you did your cut and paste, you should have taken the time to remove ADVERTISEMENT
    Its nice to see you have no problem with Republicans weakening the ethics rules.... not that it surprises anyone..
    Its nice to see you have no problem with Republicans weakening the ethics rules.... not that it surprises anyone..
    ummm...it is my understanding that the rules were their own rules, and that the dems dont even have any. Whatever
    A clarification for Clairegirl- the ethics rules governing the entire house have been changed, now they are as weak as they have ever been. All republicans voted for this change, all democrats opposed it:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ress_ethics_dc
    For what it's worth, the rules change that "guts" the ethics committee simply makes it so no party can single-handedly launch an ethics investigation. At least one member of the opposing party must agree. This prevents "witch hunts" by both sides, including republicans. I don't know if it's a good move, but I think the reaction is overdone. As for the party-line vote, that's washington.
    Political ethics -- the new oxymoron.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    A clarification for Clairegirl- the ethics rules governing the entire house have been changed, now they are as weak as they have ever been. All republicans voted for this change, all democrats opposed it...
    From what I can see, them old Republicans arent really weakening the rules, but rather protecting members from partisan political attacks. Sounds like this would work for both sides. Maybe there needs to be a bi-partisian approach to ethics reforms. Nahhh...that wont happen
    Well at least we still have the ultra ethical Democrats to keep things..... oh right they have nothing to show in the way of ethics . Nevermind.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    This thread was very enlightening! I had no idea the Democratic Party still exists!
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    This thread was very enlightening! I had no idea the Democratic Party still exists!
    LOL!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    The bottom line on the rule change is that the ethics rules are much weaker now in the house, as weak as they have ever been, for both republicans and democrats

- basically now there can be partisan "blocking" of almost any wrongdoing.

To me, this is bad thing, I would like our legislators as accountable as possible, not to make them think they can get away with stuff that the party can cover them on later.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 01/11/2005 at 06:02 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    The bottom line on the rule change is that the ethics rules are much weaker now in the house, as weak as they have ever been, for both republicans and democrats

- basically now there can be partisan "blocking" of almost any wrongdoing.

To me, this is bad thing, I would like our legislators as accountable as possible, not to make them think they can get away with stuff that the party can cover them on later.
    This weakening of the ETHICS is fine with GOP supporters. Ethics is just something that gets in the way of "doin' bidness".
    This weakening of the ETHICS is fine with GOP supporters. Ethics is just something that gets in the way of "doin' bidness".
    Hmmm...Looks like Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) may have her own problems with campaign finance laws.

The Federal Election Commission fined Pelosi’s political operation $21,000 last year for collecting and distributing funds in excess of campaign-finance limits through two leadership political action committees: PAC to the Future and Team Majority.

Looks like more of the same from the dems
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Hmmm...Looks like Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) may have her own problems with campaign finance laws.

The Federal Election Commission fined Pelosi?s political operation $21,000 last year for collecting and distributing funds in excess of campaign-finance limits through two leadership political action committees: PAC to the Future and Team Majority.

Looks like more of the same from the dems
    You think it is wrong for her to do that???

The GOP response to criticism is always "well look! the Dems do it too!"

I think it is wrong for anyone of any party to violate ethics. They all work for us and should not cheat. My initial post pointed out the hypocrisy of creating a "Contract for America" with all the fanfare they used, then completely violating that contract.

"The Dems do it too" is not an excuse.

Lets hear you criticise your own party if they do something wrong, insead of give them a free pass on everything.
    Lets hear you criticise your own party if they do something wrong, insead of give them a free pass on everything.
    Time out...it seems that something is broken. To accuse the Republicans of doing things that for the dems is just business is usual is a bit silly. It appears that "Your" party seems to have the same ethical lapses as Republicans. When "your" guys get it right maybe then you can point fingers.
    illegal time out!

Here's is my take on the situation:

House republicans think they can lower the ethics hurdle to protect Delay, then later, they expect they can reinstate stronger rules in order to nail some democrat they are going after. The way the rules are now, there is nothing illegal about doing this, but it makes a mockery of the whole house ethics system.

Both parties are hypocritical and I think we all spend too much time defending them (me included). We should be trying to hold them to be more accountable, not excusing them for changing their rules to make them less accountable.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 01/12/2005 at 11:51 AM.