Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I introduce my new avatar for a limited time only!
    LOL, love it!!!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    very funny!!
  4.    #4  
    Anyone is welcome to use it. I'm gonna have it on for a few days till the Dems get a clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Anyone is welcome to use it. I'm gonna have it on for a few days till the Dems get a clue.
    a few days?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    very funny!!
    btw, always have admired the dog avatar. It looks like a twin of a childhood dog I had, but with black hair. Best dog ever. No offense, but mine was a true mut. Best personality ever!
    btw, always have admired the dog avatar. It looks like a twin of a childhood dog I had, but with black hair. Best dog ever. No offense, but mine was a true mut. Best personality ever!
    2nd best dog This is linus...a rough coat jack russell and he spends his time on the squirrel message boards
  8.    #8  
    few days of it b/c I try not to politicize any forums I'm a member of. I can think of so many other things these *****, jealous losers can be putting our tax dollars towards.
  9.    #9  
    I have a smooth coat jack russel named Austin who has eaten countless squirels (sp?) & killed a raccoon. No one & nothing can keep up with this dog!
    I have a smooth coat jack russel named Austin who has eaten countless squirels (sp?) & killed a raccoon. No one & nothing can keep up with this dog!
    You must have a lot of patience!!
  11.    #11  
    He now is 8 yrs & will only 'tag' them. He'll flip them up in the air. I'm sure all JR owners know this, but they think they are a huge dog, but in a little body. He's 13#.
    He now is 8 yrs & will only 'tag' them. He'll flip them up in the air. I'm sure all JR owners know this, but they think they are a huge dog, but in a little body. He's 13#.
    LMAO...man I love these dogs.

sorry to step on your great humor with JR talk
    This had NOTHING to do with Democrats trying to stop the Bush inauguration. If it did, why would only 31 members of the house agreed to the objection?

What this was all about, and has been about from the start, was the fact that Ohio (and other states) did have massive voter intimidation and suppression, if not outright fraud. Ohio state laws WERE broken in the voting, counting and recounting of the ballots. This was not about overturning this election result, it was about fixing election problems for the future. They are horribly broken, and need to be fixed.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfan
    This had NOTHING to do with Democrats trying to stop the Bush inauguration. If it did, why would only 31 members of the house agreed to the objection?

What this was all about, and has been about from the start, was the fact that Ohio (and other states) did have massive voter intimidation and suppression, if not outright fraud. Ohio state laws WERE broken in the voting, counting and recounting of the ballots. This was not about overturning this election result, it was about fixing election problems for the future. They are horribly broken, and need to be fixed.
    What about Wisconsin where Kerry won buy just over only 10,000 votes but an investigation would not change substantially the elctoral vote. To be intellectually honest this is just a show to allow to to make the argument on down the road that the congress decided the election of '04. Just like the supreme court "decided" the result in '00.

Oh yeah...the same senators that were bent with the electoral college in 2000 (ie Sen. Clinton) saying that it was archaic and the popular vote should stand are the ones that are now trying to jack with the electoral votes when Bush won by close to three and a half million. Keep in mind President Clinton never was elected with more than 50 percent of the vote. Democrats are happy with the system when there team wins. Look at the governor's race in Oregon this last election for another example. Republicans are NOT perfect but the party does acknowlege defeat.
    Acknowledge defeat? Like the governor's race in Washington, where the Republican won all the machine counts by less than 100 votes, but the Democrat won the hand count by 129? (Sure, there are no problems with our voting machines.) Of course, the Republicans have filed court challenges to it... as they should. They want a revote, instead of just an accurate recount, though, because they know they lost.

As for bringing up Ohio, the reasoning for it is that there's just the most evidence of wrongdoing there. This is probably because it's the most researched because the people originally looking wanted to overturn the result... but the evidence is strong, and more thoroughly examined than elsewhere. That's the reason for bringing up Ohio.

I don't think anyone, except maybe Michael Moore, actually believes anything can overturn the result of the election. Again, that's not the point. The point is to point out flaws in our electoral system (not the electoral college - the actual voting process) and fix them. I can accept that Bush won, if that is the case. I just don't know if I can believe it, or any election results in the future, and that's bad for democracy.

Of course, our wonderful "liberal media" is all spinning this as the Democrats trying to overturn the Bush election, instead of what it really is, which is to point out flaws in our elections. The only article I've seen with a headline that comes close to this is the NY Times: "Democrats Force Debate on Ohio Election Problems". Compare with MSNBC ("Congress rejects challenge to Bush election") or CBS ("Congress: Bush's Votes Legit"). If you watched (as I did) some of the people speak on CSPAN and CSPAN 2, and actually listened to what they said, you'd realize that wasn't the case. Of course, all the Republicans could say was "Why Ohio?" or "Why not [some other state]?"
    Last edited by metsfan; 01/06/2005 at 05:19 PM.
    From the NYT article:
    "I have concluded that objecting to the electoral votes from Ohio is the only immediate way to bring these issues to light," Ms. Boxer said in a letter to Representative Stephanie Tubbs Jones of Ohio, a leader of the Democratic challenge.

"The goal is to debate the issue," Mr. Tubbs Jones told The Associated Press. "And why not? We go across the world trying to ensure democracy, but there are some problems with the process in the United States."
    The goal is not to overturn the election. It is to debate the election issues. This is from the people who actually brought up the objection in Congress.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfan
    but the Democrat won the hand count by 129? (Sure, there are no problems with our voting machines.)
    Yeah, after a boatload of votes mysteriously turned up in a box in heavily Democratic King County. Sure, there are no problems with partisans doing hand recounts. According to a Strategic Visions poll that was released the day that the election was certified, 54% of the state's voters don't believe the hand recount "reflects the actual election results".
    Talldog
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog
    Yeah, after a boatload of votes mysteriously turned up in a box in heavily Democratic King County. Sure, there are no problems with partisans doing hand recounts. According to a Strategic Visions poll that was released the day that the election was certified, 54% of the state's voters don't believe the hand recount "reflects the actual election results".
    They didn't "mysteriously turn up", it was discovered during the hand recount that these votes were improperly invalidated. Should those people just not get the right to vote, even though they did everything properly? Also, even without those votes, Gregoire would win the hand recount by 8 (yes, EIGHT) votes.
    It reminds me of the Gore team in 2000 - "Count all the votes, but only in the three heavily Democrat counties."

Who was it that barely lost the presidential election in the 60's, but agreed to not challenge the results because the challenge would be bad for the country? Nixon? I can't remember. Too bad the Dems feel politics is more important than the good of the country.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    It reminds me of the Gore team in 2000 - "Count all the votes, but only in the three heavily Democrat counties."

Who was it that barely lost the presidential election in the 60's, but agreed to not challenge the results because the challenge would be bad for the country? Nixon? I can't remember. Too bad the Dems feel politics is more important than the good of the country.
    Right... preventing people from having their votes counted is good for the country. How many times do I have to say this? Maybe all caps and bold will help:

THIS IS ABOUT ELECTION REFORM, NOT ABOUT MAKING JOHN KERRY PRESIDENT

And choosing the three heavily Democratic counties in Florida was because Florida law only allowed him to choose a limited number of counties... what's he gonna do, choose Republican ones?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast