1.    #1  
    clulup...you are such a great sport

Copters facilitate aid effort
    U.S. leading campaign to help disaster victims

By Associated Press
    January 4, 2005

KARIM RAJIA, Indonesia — U.S. helicopters rescued dozens of desperate and weak tsunami survivors, including a young girl clutching a stuffed Snoopy dog, as the American military relief operation reached out to remote areas of Indonesia with cartons of food and water on Monday.

Although the United States was not among the first at the scene after last week's natural disaster thousands of miles from American shores, it is now spearheading the international relief effort and delivering more supplies than any other nation. A U.S. warship strike group carrying thousands more Marines was headed in to help.

These kinds of costs certainly are not figured into any type of monetary contributions.

Peace Out

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/natio...443749,00.html
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    These kinds of costs certainly are not figured into any type of monetary contributions.
    Says who? I bet they ARE included, because how could the army pay for those additional activities? It's not that they have money to spare, after all, they can't even pay the soldiers appropriately or get enough armored vehicles etc. ...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Says who? I bet they ARE included ...
    Poor..Poor clulup. You try soo hard. Just because you bet doesnt make it so. These ships were already deployed. They were just re-routed to where they were needed. The US military isnt just sitting on a shelf waiting. US Pacific Command has Army, Navy, Marines deployed throughout SouthEast Asia. They just moved them around.
    Just because you bet doesnt make it so.
    My question was, who says the costs the US army has for the rescue operations are not included in the US tsunami aid money commited? Any quotes, or just your assumptions?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  5.    #5  
    My question was, who says the costs the US army has for the rescue operations are not included in the US tsunami aid money commited? Any quotes, or just your assumptions?
    My assumptions must be just as valid as yours. Can you substantiate your claims that the $350 million includes the cost of any military support, or is it still just something that you would "bet" on?

What about other countries> Do they include things like logistical support with their military as part of their foreign aid or disaster contributions?

You seem soo fixated on the US and what you feel that we dont do. Just curious if you spend any time thinking if there was more that the EU or Switzerland could be doing?
    My assumptions must be just as valid as yours. Can you substantiate your claims that the $350 million includes the cost of any military support, or is it still just something that you would "bet" on?
    You wrote "These kinds of costs certainly are not figured into any type of monetary contributions."

Then I ASKED who says the military costs are not included in the aid money... I didn't claim the contrary, all I said is "I bet" (in the sense of "I guess and I am willing to put my money on it") that the additional military costs for the rescue operations are included into the aid money.

Since you seem to be certain that the costs are not included, I would (still) like to know why you are so certain, and where that claim comes from...
    I tend to agree with clairegrrl. The soldiers get their normal pay (i.e., not a war zone) and they are going to get this money if there or doing seperate maneuvers (don't believe there was any extra military called up...but I may be wrong). The ships are rerouted meaning they are already on maneuvers. With these manuevers, they do simulated rescue missions and other missions to simulate war time or emergency situations....now that there is a real emergency situation, they'll be substuting real missions for practice ones. While the cost of the aid will be higher because of some logistics, the majority of the cost was already budgeted for manuevers and practice. And while the US "could" say it cost xx dollars to deploy the military, I doubt that this help is part of the monetary contributions....but that's just my opinion....and I'm part of a military family (I was an officer in the army with 7 years and my father was an officer in the navy with 29 years service) Does it matter that I'm in a military family...not necessarily, but you decide.
  8.    #8  
    You wrote "These kinds of costs certainly are not figured into any type of monetary contributions."

Then I ASKED who says the military costs are not included in the aid money... I didn't claim the contrary, all I said is "I bet" (in the sense of "I guess and I am willing to put my money on it") that the additional military costs for the rescue operations are included into the aid money.

Since you seem to be certain that the costs are not included, I would (still) like to know why you are so certain, and where that claim comes from...
    I'll make this real simple....I bet they're not