Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think we have all missed the point in some way here.

I don't believe Al Qaeda members hate the people of the US ... they despise the policies set forth and carried out by the leaders of the US. Huge difference here.

As far as giving to the relief effort, my guess is that donations from individuals will far outpace those from governments .... we as individuals can see and empathize with the victims much more than a government can. It's personal to us ...

Let's not bash others (either here or anywhere else). clulup merely made an observation and a point. Why is it we (US citizens) can't walk the talk we espouse so often? Why does he not get to say what he wants? Just because he is not in the US? So what. Your reaction to his statements though could be taken as "the problem." Say what you want, and if I don't like it, I will attack you personally ... not debate on the ideas or statement you made.

If you want to stop the verbal attacks on the US, debate them based on fact and logic ... don't let your statements sink into the mud of personal attack.

Go ahead, flame away ...
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    and you are an a**hole
    tb214, you make some excellent points in post #16 and a post like this just goes to invalidate all the great points you made.

skillllllz must be a lawyer (hey, skillllllz, I still like you though ) because he questions you like a defendant on the stand ... takes your logical points and then gets under your skin and gets you to head down the emotional side and has everyone on the jury pool just shaking thier heads.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Seems to me if people have a problem with how the US handles itself, then maybe you should look at relocating to Canada. No one is making you stay here.
    The Bible would be a good place to start looking for knowledge on how to treat people as well.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    tb214, you make some excellent points in post #16 and a post like this just goes to invalidate all the great points you made.

skillllllz must be a lawyer (hey, skillllllz, I still like you though ) because he questions you like a defendant on the stand ... takes your logical points and then gets under your skin and gets you to head down the emotional side and has everyone on the jury pool just shaking thier heads.
    well, im sorry about the emotional outburst, tjd414, but that was uncalled for. was it necessary to start the mudslinging the way he did? did I start the attacks? skillz instigated devisively in this thread, if he wanted to keep it clean, that decision was up to him. he chose to make it ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    As far as giving to the relief effort, my guess is that donations from individuals will far outpace those from governments .... we as individuals can see and empathize with the victims much more than a government can. It's personal to us ...
    Sadly, the private donations are considerably lower than the governmental donations in every industrialized country. In the case of the US, private foreign aid donations are about one third of government foreign aid (on average, not in the present case of the tsunami disaster).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    For better or worse, many in the Wash DC area are donating items (clothes, food, ...) The most recent reports, thoughs, recommend money as a better donation at this stage, so that resources can be directed to meet specific needs.
    My kids received some christmas money from their grandmother - and happily donated it to the relief effort. I was proud of them.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    it amazes me that one calls america cheap after they donate more to the world in food and dollars than france, germany and switzerland COMBINED.
    I never called America cheap, that was Clairegrrl - she suggested the Swiss were cheap because they only donated $3 per person, while the the US donated $1.2 per person, so don't confuse me with Clairegrrl.

Besides, I don't find it surprising that France, Germany and Switzerland have donated less than the US so far, since the combinded population is much smaller than that of the US. If you look at the whole EU, you will find that those countries donated far more than the US, which is only fair since both the Gross Domestic Product and the population is greater.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Nobody has mentioned the war in Iraq right now. The US has spent (and is spending) a vast amount of capital in Iraq and the funds that are being used there obviously cannot be used somewhere else. And as the world has pointed out, the US is taking the brunt of the cost in Iraq among coalition forces (money and lives).

This isn't an excuse...just common sense. The US simply can't do all it could do if the situation in Iraq didn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Nobody has mentioned the war in Iraq right now. The US has spent (and is spending) a vast amount of capital in Iraq and the funds that are being used there obviously cannot be used somewhere else. And as the world has pointed out, the US is taking the brunt of the cost in Iraq among coalition forces (money and lives).

This isn't an excuse...just common sense. The US simply can't do all it could do if the situation in Iraq didn't exist.
    So now the war in Iraq is a foreign aid project? Wasn't it to protect the US from terrorism?

Besides, US$ 350 million is the amount spent in Iraq in about 3 days...
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    So now the war in Iraq is a foreign aid project? Wasn't it to protect the US from terrorism?

Besides, US$ 350 million is the amount spent in Iraq in about 3 days...
    Well depends on how good of a debater your are...it could be considered foreign aid.....but you missed my point completely.

You can only split up your pie (budget) so many ways and right now we're using a lot of it for iraq without a lot of help from other people. ( back at ya)
    I simply pointed to the fact that other nations donate much more foreign aid than the US when looking at it on a per person basis. If you don't care, then don't care and don't flame me, after all, I didn't invent the data this is based on.
    Somehow, some way, they're going to find some means of making our contribution look bad. If it wasn't percentage of GNP, it would be something else, like percentage of total money printed in the history of man or something equally stupid. $350 million is certainly more meaningful then $22 million. Isnt it??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    ...is the priesthood still all about raping little boys or is it about faith?
    Ummm...young boys??
    You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves. Debating over contributions? pointing fingers? Crying about whether muslims are doing their part? how about Jews? how about Christians? how about Buddhist? are the Sikhs doing their part?

125,000 people are dead and probably more to come. Focus on that. This is not the time to go off on the Democrats or the Republicans or the Muslims or the Iraqians. 100 times the deaths of the towers. Focus on that. 30-40% CHILDREN. Focus on that.

I'm glad the U.S. gave $350 million which is A LOT better than the original $35 million.
    I'm happy of the steps taken by this current president. I'm glad this administration came up with 10 times the money they originally said was all they had. They put politics aside for humanity. Bush did the right thing.

Take a minute and pray for those lost. If you are not religious, then take a minute of silence tonight.

Money aside, there are many US-Based NGOs that are helping tremendously. Health Care, counseling, food. They need that now.
    Remember: You are an unique, individual person...just like everyone else
    Quote Originally Posted by KypDurron
    You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves. .....
    Well now that we have all been put in our place.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Well now that we have all been put in our place.
    Now Woofy...you should really be ashamed of yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by KypDurron
    You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves. Debating over contributions? pointing fingers? Crying about whether muslims are doing their part? how about Jews? how about Christians? how about Buddhist? are the Sikhs doing their part?

125,000 people are dead and probably more to come. Focus on that. This is not the time to go off on the Democrats or the Republicans or the Muslims or the Iraqians. 100 times the deaths of the towers. Focus on that. 30-40% CHILDREN. Focus on that.

I'm glad the U.S. gave $350 million which is A LOT better than the original $35 million.
    I'm happy of the steps taken by this current president. I'm glad this administration came up with 10 times the money they originally said was all they had. They put politics aside for humanity. Bush did the right thing.

Take a minute and pray for those lost. If you are not religious, then take a minute of silence tonight.

Money aside, there are many US-Based NGOs that are helping tremendously. Health Care, counseling, food. They need that now.
    You have learned much Skywalker but you are not a Jedi yet
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    You have learned much Skywalker but you are not a Jedi yet
    He made a serious statement concerning a tragic event. I really don't see what the point in adding this silly comment is.
    He made a serious statement concerning a tragic event. I really don't see what the point in adding this silly comment is.
    I wouldnt suspect that you would.
    May the deceased rest in peace and the living find it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast