1.    #1  
    I really don't get it... whenever there is a catastrophe with large numbers of casualties, one or two days later you will invariably read news like

Indonesia struggles to bury dead:
    As medicine and other emergency supplies began arriving in the island's worst-hit province of Aceh, scores of corpses lay uncollected on the streets, triggering fears of an outbreak of disease.

Or:
    "The Catholic Relief Services agency said its workers in Indonesia feared that in some areas diseases like cholera and dysentery may spread rapidly because there was not enough dry ground to bury corpses."

This is actually totally wrong, as numerous organisations dealing with public health and disaster relief have stated many times. The health risk from bodies is in fact minimal or inexistent, but since this myth is propagated on and on even in our news, bodies are often buried without identification and proper burial, leading to even greater psychological impact for the survivors.

I really wonder why this misinformation is repeated on and on.
    Last edited by clulup; 12/28/2004 at 07:03 PM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Thanks Clulup, I didn't know that.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    especially since the news I just read on AOL said that they expect the number of dead, at this point, 22,000 to double with the disease.
    The WHO said this morning that the spread of disease will be from contaminated drinking water and not decaying bodies. In fact, the spokesman said that little if any disease will come from those who were unfortunately taken from us.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    The WHO said this morning that the spread of disease will be from contaminated drinking water and not decaying bodies. In fact, the spokesman said that little if any disease will come from those who were unfortunately taken from us.
    Precisely the issue here. Even the article you have linked us to, clulup, states that, "...unless they are (corpses) polluting sources of drinking-water..."
    What a devastating situation there, my god. And FINALLY president Bush uttered a few words today about this issue.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain