Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 123
  1.    #1  
    Now this is something that I get every year....the original post said the student was Albert Einstein but that was just an urban myth. The story has unknown origins, but it's a pretty good allegory. Merry Christmas everyone...

    The university professor challenged his students with this question:
    Did God create everything that exists?

    A student bravely replied "yes, he did!"

    "God created everything?" The professor asked.

    "Yes sir," the student replied. The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are then God is evil."

    The student became quiet before such an answer. The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that faith was a myth.

    Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor?"

    "Of course," replied the professor.

    The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

    "What kind of a question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.

    The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality
    the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

    The student continued. "Professor, does darkness exist?"

    The professor responded, "Of course it does."

    The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't
    this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

    Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

    Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course, as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

    To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of
    God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

    The professor sat down.
  2. #2  
    Coldness and darkness are both the absence of something. So, we gave a name for the lack of heat and another for the lack of light. We only know how to measure light and heat.

    Does everything encompass nothing? Better yet: Is nothing a subset of everything? If that is true and God is everything then God is still evil. No?
  3. #3  
    True, cold is the absence of heat (less energy when compared to some standard), darkness is the absence of light (less light when compared to some standard, maybe even zero light).

    But evil is not just the absence of good, evil can be done actively, so you cannot compare it to cold and dark in this respect.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    True, cold is the absence of heat (less energy when compared to some standard), darkness is the absence of light (less light when compared to some standard, maybe even zero light).

    But evil is not just the absence of good, evil can be done actively, so you cannot compare it to cold and dark in this respect.
    Evil can be done? That pre-supposes we know what evil is. If not the absence of good, what is evil?
  5. #5  
    "There is no quality in this world that is not such merely by contrast"
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    "There is no quality in this world that is not such merely by contrast"
    Color?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Color?
    Nope

    According to webster..

    "Color:
    A phenomenon of light (as red, brown, pink or gray) or visual perception that enables one to differentiate otherwise identical objects"

    Color is nothing more than degrees of light and we all know that light is the contrast to dark
    Last edited by sxtg; 12/15/2004 at 10:43 AM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Evil can be done? That pre-supposes we know what evil is. If not the absence of good, what is evil?
    You can walk past a person in need without helping - that is absence of good. You can kick the person and take away the only coat that person has - that would be doing bad/evil. Of course the difference is a gradual one. For instance, also negligence can reach a criminal degree and hence become evil by public definition.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    You can walk past a person in need without helping - that is absence of good.
    When you say good in that sentence how do you define it? Good compared to what?

    You can't know soft without also knowing hard. You can't know mean without also knowing nice... You just cant!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Nope

    According to webster..

    "Color:
    A phenomenon of light (as red, brown, pink or gray) or visual perception that enables one to differentiate otherwise identical objects"

    Color is nothing more than degrees of light and we all know that light is the contrast to dark
    But, red, for example, is defined as a certain range of the light. One need not compare it to blue to determine that it is Red. One need only know the limits of the ranges, and have the ability to measure.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LordPhong
    Does everything encompass nothing? Better yet: Is nothing a subset of everything? If that is true and God is everything then God is still evil. No?
    "Nothing" is the absence of everything. However, to us nothingness does not exist. To mearly speak of "nothing" is to speak of something. Therefore, in our universe, this concept of nothing, which we've contrived, is purely hypothetical.
    .
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    But, red, for example, is defined as a certain range of the light. One need not compare it to blue to determine that it is Red. One need only know the limits of the ranges, and have the ability to measure.

    That analogy has no merit!

    You could apply that to any given degree of any absolute.

    For example: moisture, heat, speed etc..


    If you see a car moving at 20 miles p/hr, you don't have to see a parked car to know that its moving... Right? However we still know that the contrast to movement is stillness.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    That analogy has no merit!

    You could apply that to any given degree of any absolute.

    For example: moisture, heat, speed etc..
    If it can indeed be applied to any degree of absolute, it would seem that your initial assertion would be that which lacks merit. No?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    If it can indeed be applied to any degree of absolute, it would seem that your initial assertion would be that which lacks merit. No?

    If you see a car moving at 20 miles p/hr, you don't have to see a parked car to know that its moving... Right? However we still know that the contrast to movement is stillness.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    If you see a car moving at 20 miles p/hr, you don't have to see a parked car to know that its moving... Right? However we still know that the contrast to movement is stillness.
    Agreed, we know that the car is moving in contrast to being still -- the quality of motion. However, we can know the color of the car without such comparison.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    But, red, for example, is defined as a certain range of the light. One need not compare it to blue to determine that it is Red. One need only know the limits of the ranges, and have the ability to measure.

    You are attempting to compare something to itself!

    Light (red) TO Light (blue)

    And by contrast (no light) you wouldn't have either red or blue.
    Last edited by sxtg; 12/15/2004 at 11:26 AM.
  17. #17  
    If evil is in essence the absence of God, how does the original post account for all the evil that has been done in the name of God? History is replete with events that have inflicted pain and death on mankind all in the name of God. The crusades, the inquisition, fighting in the Middle East, religious extremism and religious intolerance. Are those who subscribe to these beliefs truly doing Gods work?

    We as enlightened humans can test and measure light and dark, cold and heat. We can see it, feel it and touch it, we don’t need to relay on faith to know it to be true. Faith in ones God on the other hand, there is no test for it.

    My faith is stronger then your faith.
    My God is better then you’re God.
    My God tells me to love everyone.
    My God tells me to kill those who don’t believe in him.

    My humble opinion is that good and evil are man made. God gave man intelligence and most importantly the ability to make a choice. Sometimes man chooses evil and uses God as a means to justify their choice. Fortunately most of us, most of the time choose good instead of evil.

    CGordonn
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    If evil is in essence the absence of God, how does the original post account for all the evil that has been done in the name of God? ...
    A few years ago, someone activated a cellular phone account in my name. They did not pay for the service. A notice of collections appeared on my credit reports. I am in the process of having that removed.

    The account was opened in my name. However, I had nothing to do with it.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Agreed, we know that the car is moving in contrast to being still -- the quality of motion. However, we can know the color of the car without such comparison.

    Really? Shut yourself in your coat closet and tell me what colors the coats are at that given moment.

    Even thought there may be a RED one you can't "know" there is a RED one in the absence of light. Therfore you need the contrast (light) to "know" the coat is RED
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Really? Shut yourself in your coat closet and tell me what colors the coats are at that given moment.

    Even thought there may be a RED one you can't "know" there is a RED one in the absence of light. Therfore you need the contrast (light) to "know" the coat is RED
    Granted. However, my knowledge of the color, or ability to measure was not in question. I return to your original assertion:

    "There is no quality in this world that is not such merely by contrast"

    I think that a coat is red by virtue of us having defined red. I need not compare red to blue. I need not even know what blue is. And, my inability to carefully observe the coat (i.e. because the closet lacks illumination) does not change its red quality.
    Last edited by shopharim; 12/15/2004 at 11:46 AM.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions