Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    "Originally Posted by Jesus"

Priceless
    I thought somebody was gonna pick that up....I didn't care though and left it that way

And actually, now that I think about it....it's kinda fitting!
    Last edited by RicoM; 12/17/2004 at 01:52 PM.
  2.    #122  
    More on the "going against what Jesus said" in respect to having to be baptised to get to heaven.....In actuality, Jesus DOES say that you have to be baptised to get into Heaven. John 3:5 Says,
    "Jesus answered, "Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit"". If you read the rest of that section, you can tell it's VERY obvious he's talking about baptism.
    And furthermore....the church teaches us...

"Since Christ died for all, and since all men are in fact called to one and the same destiny, which is divine, we must hold that the Holy Spirit offers to all the possibility of being made partakers, in a way known to God, of the Paschal mystery." Every man who is ignorant of the Gospel of Christ and of his Church, but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it, can be saved. It may be supposed that such persons would have desired Baptism explicitly if they had known its necessity.
    This last paragraph was taken out of Catechism of the Catholic Church , which is the book that explains the Catholic faith as I mentioned earlier.

The first part....the Catechism states that Baptism is the "Sacrament of Faith". i.e. when you get baptised you are in fact accepting the Lord as your savior. So if you willingly do not get baptised (and are not in the process of getting baptised), you have not pronounced your faith....and maybe more importantly your soul has not been cleansed of the original sin as well as your own sins. This act which many non-christians may think of as a formality is in actuality a necessity.

The second part explains... God is the God of all men. It does not matter where you are from. If you have not heard of God, you can still be saved as long as you are a good person and are seeking him (at least in your understanding of him). But if you have been brought the word and still do not wish to know the lord.....you will NOT go to heaven. No sugar coating it..... if you don't do the simple tasks that God asks of you, you will not get the reward.

And if you don't believe...which is obvious some do not, well....God has not given up on you....even if you have given up on him. There is time.
    Last edited by RicoM; 12/17/2004 at 08:54 PM.
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Augustine
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    I'm sorry, I know this discussion was pretty much dead. But I found this one quote about faith that seemed to fit the earlier parts of this thread/discussion. I had to post it!

And as some background info....Saint Augustine was a Doctor of the church (explained below) and a unique individual. He started off life as a believer in god, but not exactly a follower (he didn't walk the straight-n-narrow path). He had worldly ambitions, lived with a girlfriend so to speak and was sort of a partier. Then one day he overheard two kids that were recent Catholic conversions and felt ashamed....he fell to his knees and Just then he heard a child singing, "Take up and read!" Thinking that God intended him to hear those words, he picked up the book of the Letters of St. Paul, and read the first passage his gaze fell on. It was just what Augustine needed, for in it, St. Paul says to put away all impurity and to live in imitation of Jesus. That did it! From then on, Augustine began a new life.

And as a side note...Saint Augustine is the patron saint of Brewers and Theologians and a few others...pretty cool, huh

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.catholic.org/saints/doctors.php
    This is a very special title accorded by the Church to certain saints. This title indicates that the writings and preachings of such a person are useful to Christians "in any age of the Church." Such men and women are also particularly known for the depth of understanding and the orthodoxy of their theological teachings. While the writings of the Doctors are often considered inspired by the Holy Spirit. This does not mean they are infallible, but it does mean that they contributed significantly to the formulation of Christian teaching in at least one area.
    There has only been 33 "Doctors" of the church...that's pretty impressive since Saints have been around for about 2000 years!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567