Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    I can't speak to what happens in Chicago. But here in Florida, teachers start in August (on the 5th this year) and school let out in June (on the 2d, teachers stayed until the 5th). Most teachers were at school on August 2d. So they really work more than 9 months of the year.

Many of the teachers I know also took 2 or 3 weeks of continuing education during the summer, for which they had to pay themselves. Each of the teachers I have had the opportunity to work (volunteer) with over the past 6 years have been teaching at the same school for 20+ years. Many have over 30 kids in the classroom they teach in. And this was an elementary school. My child was fortunate, she only had 28 kids in her class.

We have a constitutional amendment that requires no more than 21 kids in a classroom. Since our Republican "Education" governor did not want to raise taxes to pay for the teachers, he allowed the school districts to count those that had teaching certificates but worked at district hq to count when computing the ratio. So, no school has 21 kids in the classroom.

I'm not a teacher, but I do teach 22 high school kids for three hours per week, each week, and this is no easy feat. Prepartion time is never incorporated into their schedules; art, music, pe and technology have all been scaled back. For example, the art and music teachers get $1.25 per student to purchase all of their supplies for the year. That means they get a budget of $937 for supplies to teach about 750 kids for the year. So they reach into their pockets to pay for it.

If you are sick and tired of kids raising money for their schools, take a deep breath and ask why. The schools are not funded correctly and we have put the burden on funding the schools on the backs of our children. Not a great plan, imo.

Teachers work very hard to do something we have chosen not to do. And we need to show our appreciation for all the work and the effort they expend for our children.
    Isn't that every profession? Electricians have to take courses to continually be up to speed on code and equipment which they do not get paid for. I'm sure they have to pay for their tools too.

While those of us who chose not to be teachers did, why do we then have this attitude like they didn't? We must appreciate that they chose to do this job that society treats as overpaid babysitters. I don't appreciate the guy that served up my lunch just because he's got a lousy job. If there's nothing left gratifying in the job, there are plenty of other things to do.

The fault of the underfunded art class is not a direct function of the payroll. That is a school budgeting matter. Will that art class suffer if that teacher didn't pay out of their own pocket? Sure, but there's an alternative, and that's make it public. If the people in that district paying for that school feel that's an outrage, isn't it their decision to pressure the board into providing more for art supplies?

It would be, but schools are cutting back everywhere, so what _other_ school program suffers. It is a function of our taxes to support our schools, and while teachers decide to take a portion of their salary to help support the school, it is their decision to do so.

c
    Quote Originally Posted by controller
    It would be, but schools are cutting back everywhere, so what _other_ school program suffers. It is a function of our taxes to support our schools, and while teachers decide to take a portion of their salary to help support the school, it is their decision to do so.

c
    Every program seems to suffer, with the exception of athletics ... more specifically football. Why are these programs never scaled back?
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234