Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    Teachers are underpaid, imo. My dad taught for 30 years back when tenure was something you earn. He was underpaid then, and they are underpaid now.

Having actively volunteered at my daughter's schools since she was in Kindergarten, I can tell you the teachers do it because they love it. I also think that many parents have a distorted view of what a teacher should do. No longer is it about reading, writing and arithmetic. Now the parents expect them to be babysitters, help them with their homework, teach them values and enforce discipline when they (parents) can take away the accountability by moaning and complaining about the teacher.

Everyone complains about the fact that the education system (at least here in FL) is not what they want, but God forbid if taxes have to be raised to pay for it. You can't have it both ways. Personally, I think we should gladly and willingly pay our teachers what they truly deserve ... they are one of the few professions that do it for the love of what they do, not the money.

One day I'm going to win Lotto, get my certificate and go teach!

Of course that means I'm going to have give up my profession and it's $200/hr billing rate, but it'll be worth it.
    I know several musicians who are also underpaid, but I don't think "musicians" are underpaid.

Just being a teacher does not automatically equal underpaid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Nicely said Thanks!

Thank yourself and make the effort to touch someone, even if it seems to have little effect.
    Ditto to Oops
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops
    Ditto.
    What he said.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Define "underpaid" then. Cause while yes, we do it for love, I can't think of another profession that DEMANDS a masters degree, but will never pay more than $45-50,000 after 20 years, and doesn't offer any kind of bonus or incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I know several musicians who are also underpaid, but I don't think "musicians" are underpaid.

Just being a teacher does not automatically equal underpaid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    Define "underpaid" then. Cause while yes, we do it for love, I can't think of another profession that DEMANDS a masters degree, but will never pay more than $45-50,000 after 20 years, and doesn't offer any kind of bonus or incentive.
    What do you teach?

Not one of my sons teachers so far have been old enough to have recieved a Masters degree.

Also where do you live? How does $50K compare to the average income in your area? I have known teachers that bring in 75k the average income in thier area is 30k-50K. Its all relative.

I am positive that some (I will even say a lot of) teachers are underpaid. But again this is because of thier efforts within the position not the position itself!
    I agree with some of this, but there are generalizations being thrown around that just aren't accurate. I agree, teachers are highly underpaid, I know because I was brought up being raised by parents who were a teacher and counsellor in what I now think is the 3rd or 4th largest school district in the country (Miami-Dade public schools). My father was, for a while, the principal of the largest public school in the country, if not the world (Braddock HS), which had an enrollment (5000+) much larger than the town my college roommate came from. So I know what it's like for teachers to have to get to work early, try to teach all day long, and then spend time on nights and weekends doing unpaid work to prepare for the next week. However, this is NO DIFFERENT than what any other salaried employee in any field has to do. I'm a programmer, I have deadlines with my job, and I have to do WHATEVER I HAVE TO DO to meet those deadlines. If that means working nights, weekends, lunches, whatever, I have no choice. I still live in South Florida, we had 3 hurricanes in the span of 6 weeks, and not one of my deadlines got pushed back despite the fact that I missed about 2 weeks worth of work during that time. So we all put in the time and don't get paid for it, that's just a fact of working life. Yes, I get paid twice or three times what a teacher gets, but I'm also probably 10 times more likely, as a programmer in the US for a Fortune 500 company, to get laid off in a cost-cutting move than a teacher is. That's the irony of it. No matter how good of a programmer you are, you run the risk of being downsized at any time because of how much you cost. I've known a lot of incompetent people in the teaching profession that don't run that risk. There are pros and cons to every job, you just have to take the good with the bad for your chosen profession. I get paid well, I'm much more likely to be laid off. I don't know anyone in corporate America who gets 4 weeks of paid time off without having at least 7 years tenure at that company, if not 10 years, or isn't an executive. I get maybe a half dozen holidays off a year, outside of the now 3 weeks vacation I get. Teachers get a half dozen holidays off a semester. So it's not how much your job pays you, it's how happy you are with your job. If you want a high paying job, work for corporate America, but be prepared for all the baggage that comes along with it. If you're comfortable making less and getting more free-time, then by all means become a teacher. It's a rewarding (in non-monetary terms) position.
    My 2 cents.
    Most Underpaid:
    Grammar School, High School and Special Ed Teachers
    Nurses

Most Overpaid:
    Professional Atheletes
    Any Chief Officer in a company.
    People in Financial Services
    Remember: You are an unique, individual person...just like everyone else
  9.    #49  
    Boy did this get off topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by KypDurron
    My 2 cents.
    Most Overpaid:
    People in Financial Services
    Depends on whether or not they help you become successful ... that's why I can bill out at $200+/hr.

Quote Originally Posted by controller
    If the corporate audit cops have already blocked adult content and ebay, then your traffic is probably being filtered through a proxy or router that logs all it's traffic anyway. Just because your computer doesn't have the evidence doesn't mean you don't leave tracks.

As far as misuse goes, does that computer/network/internet access belong to your employer? Then it's misuse. It's just like trying to justify speeding because everyone else is doing it. You're still speeding.

c
    Your workstation is assigned an IP Address, so likely they know where this is coming from.
    The Proxy doesn't have to be something set in IE, it can be set on the firewall side so all outgoing traffic is forced through it. Even if they don't use a proxy, you are still likely going through a firewall which can show outgoing connections.

<paranoid>Of course they could be using Spyware or some remote desktop monitoring tool too</paranoid>
    Pete
    I'm at one of the largest high schools within the largest school district in the state of Alabama. The cost of living here is slightly lower than comparable size cities up north, but not enough to make up a $20,000 salary difference. (Yes, I compare frequently.)

Your son may not yet have had a teacher old enough to hold a master's degree, but depending on your state and No Child Left Behind, you can guarantee they will either have one or be in another profession within the next 3 years.

If it's any consolation to anyone, I do NOT believe in tenure. It breeds complacency, and that helps no one. I have colleagues (and I use the term loosely) who should have retired 10+ years ago. They show up to collect a paycheck.

What do you teach?

Not one of my sons teachers so far have been old enough to have recieved a Masters degree.

Also where do you live? How does $50K compare to the average income in your area? I have known teachers that bring in 75k the average income in thier area is 30k-50K. Its all relative.

I am positive that some (I will even say a lot of) teachers are underpaid. But again this is because of thier efforts within the position not the position itself!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    I'm at one of the largest high schools within the largest school district in the state of Alabama. The cost of living here is slightly lower than comparable size cities up north, but not enough to make up a $20,000 salary difference. (Yes, I compare frequently.)

Your son may not yet have had a teacher old enough to hold a master's degree, but depending on your state and No Child Left Behind, you can guarantee they will either have one or be in another profession within the next 3 years.

If it's any consolation to anyone, I do NOT believe in tenure. It breeds complacency, and that helps no one. I have colleagues (and I use the term loosely) who should have retired 10+ years ago. They show up to collect a paycheck.

Ok then, It appears we are in at least some state of agreement
    Ok then, It appears we are in at least some state of agreement
    It's a start ...

Keep in mind she has that big gun behind her! Thanks for all you do to defend us Alli!

It's a start ...

Keep in mind she has that big gun behind her! Thanks for all you do to defend us Alli!

Is she in the Guard?

Alllllllllli?????? (questioning tone)
    I thought you said that teaching consumed ALL of your time! It would seem you have at least some disposable time. How you use it, is your choice.

I am glad you chose it to defend us as well!
    My pleasure tjd. If there's a chemical spill or bio attack, I'm ready!

It's a start ...

I'm in the state guard. (Means I can't leave the country, and without gubernatorial agreement, won't cross state lines.) Mostly we're involved with Homeland Security, and heavy into FEMA. It doesn't take up much of my time, and I'd gladly give more.

Is she in the Guard?

Alllllllllli?????? (questioning tone)
    I thought you said that teaching consumed ALL of your time! It would seem you have at least some disposable time. How you use it, is your choice.

I am glad you chose it to defend us as well!
    I also can't think of another job where you get a full salary for 9 months out of the year regardless of the overtime you spend during the day. Where you can take on after school programs or sports and get paid for that too.

I can't think of too many other non-union jobs that still get a pention or such wonderful benefits that take such a small chunk of your paycheck.

I'm in Chicago, I can't remember a year that the teachers didn't strike in at least one district. And what other profession gets to blast their negotiators with the line, "They must not value your child's education."

c
    Back to the first topic: As someone mentioned, clearing your history, etc. will only do part of the job. Most companies use a proxy server, so you would need an secure (encrypted) connection to an outside proxy server. This may or may not be possible with your setup (company firewall).

If you are still clearing your history, etc. Get a program that will do it (check download.com) for HistoryKill or other similar applications. They will at least automate the task for you.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by controller
    I also can't think of another job where you get a full salary for 9 months out of the year regardless of the overtime you spend during the day. Where you can take on after school programs or sports and get paid for that too.

I can't think of too many other non-union jobs that still get a pention or such wonderful benefits that take such a small chunk of your paycheck.

I'm in Chicago, I can't remember a year that the teachers didn't strike in at least one district. And what other profession gets to blast their negotiators with the line, "They must not value your child's education."

c
    I can't speak to what happens in Chicago. But here in Florida, teachers start in August (on the 5th this year) and school let out in June (on the 2d, teachers stayed until the 5th). Most teachers were at school on August 2d. So they really work more than 9 months of the year.

Many of the teachers I know also took 2 or 3 weeks of continuing education during the summer, for which they had to pay themselves. Each of the teachers I have had the opportunity to work (volunteer) with over the past 6 years have been teaching at the same school for 20+ years. Many have over 30 kids in the classroom they teach in. And this was an elementary school. My child was fortunate, she only had 28 kids in her class.

We have a constitutional amendment that requires no more than 21 kids in a classroom. Since our Republican "Education" governor did not want to raise taxes to pay for the teachers, he allowed the school districts to count those that had teaching certificates but worked at district hq to count when computing the ratio. So, no school has 21 kids in the classroom.

I'm not a teacher, but I do teach 22 high school kids for three hours per week, each week, and this is no easy feat. Prepartion time is never incorporated into their schedules; art, music, pe and technology have all been scaled back. For example, the art and music teachers get $1.25 per student to purchase all of their supplies for the year. That means they get a budget of $937 for supplies to teach about 750 kids for the year. So they reach into their pockets to pay for it.

If you are sick and tired of kids raising money for their schools, take a deep breath and ask why. The schools are not funded correctly and we have put the burden on funding the schools on the backs of our children. Not a great plan, imo.

Teachers work very hard to do something we have chosen not to do. And we need to show our appreciation for all the work and the effort they expend for our children.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast