Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I'm a longtime PC geek who's thinking about building a new box and putting Linux on it. I've never messed with Linux before, and am just looking for a little advice. First, what version or "distribution" of Linux would y'all recommend? I assume that most versions are not free??

Also, I'm assuming most versions are compatible with Intel/AMD hardware?

Any tips or advice for a total newb to Linux would be greatly appreciated. I've also been doing research online and reading FAQ's, but it's always helpful to hear firsthand info from others. thnx!
    most versions ARE free... and most are compatible w/ AMD and Intel hardware. I have played around with suse, yellowdog, and redhat. My desktop has been running Fedora (redhat) for the last month+ w/out any troubles.

My 600 syncs with evolution and I can mount my SD card as a USB mass storage device.
    Avatars.... <hrumpphh> I guess, since all the cool kids are doing it.
    When you pay for linux, you're not actually paying for the software. You're paying for the distribution materials and the manuals. All distributions of linux are freely available for download. I've used both SuSE and Redhat, but not as my desktop. I used them both as my router for my home network. Both work well, and take a lot of the guesswork out without compromising the power of linux because you can always just launch a shell and do it that way as well.

c
    I have tried various "flavors" or distributions of Linux, and I think the best one to start off, as a new user, is Linspire (formerly called Lindows.) You can get deteails on their website at www.linspire.com, and you can get trial disks as well very cheaply by doing a search on EBay - I paid just $4.99 for my set of disks, I have since installed Linspire on my laptop and on my desktop, and signed up for their annual software download service.
    (This is written on my Linspire laptop right now,)
    I'd recommend Redhat to start out. I've never used Suse, but I've heard it's a great beginner's distribution as well.

Once you really get digging into it and understand it all, you can't beat the power of Debian. That's what I run on all my machines.

To try out Linux without installing anything, check out Knoppix. It's a bootable CD distro that'll let you play with everything without touching the hard drive.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Thanks guys, what kind of hardware (power-wise) do I need to run Linux? I've got an old AMD KD-2 450 mHz with 256 ram that I'd like to use if possible. Might this be enough, or should I plan on more hardware? Thanks again!
    I second linspire. I built my own desktop and run linspire on it. If you sign up for their subscription service, you get close to 2000 programs free. I've also used Suse and Mandrake in the past. Red Hat is not for beginners. Most linux distros have very low hardware requirements. That hardware should be enough for most. Of course more is always better.
    I have used SUSE for several years now and really like it. Fedora, which is derived from Redhat is also very good. One difference between the two is the preferred GUI. SUSE uses mainly KDE and Fedora uses Gnome.
    SUSE has a live CD you can download and burn to try out. It is also a good way to see if all of your hardware is recognized.
    Just as an aside, I just bought a DLink USB Bluetooth adapter. I am having real problems getting the drivers to work on WinXP, but SUSE recognized it immediately and started the configuration app. So much for the "experience" of WinXP!
    Zane