Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    But that's the key point that you don't, or won't understand. Opting out is a very difficult thing for a child to do. When all his or her friends are participating, it's natural to want to do so, too. If you opt out then not only do you miss out on the fun, but you brand yourself as different. And few kids want to be seen as different.
    Yes but that is a far cry from being FORCED as you put it to believe in something.

True, but the constitution was explicitly written to protect minorities. Majorities rarely need protecting. Just because I might be in a minority doesn't make my feelings any less important, or my rights any less.
    Protecting minorities doesn't mean you have to delete the importance someone elses feelings or beliefs simply because they happen to be in agreement with the majority.

Turn it around: As a Christian citizen of say, Egypt, would you perhaps feel like a second class citizen because you had to "opt out" of the things your fellow students, or co-workers, were doing? Because everywhere you went the government displayed an supported Islam, and ignored or suppressed Christianity? I suspect you would.

Which is why I don't live in Egypt. Its that simple!
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    In new York city schools this year any mention of Christ or and Christian symbols is forbidden. However all other religious symbols are allowed. How is that fair?
    Please do share the link to this story.. hehe
    Persecution of Christians? In America? Give me an f'en break! If there's any persecution going on in this country it BY the Christian right, who try to force their beliefs on everybody. From abortion, to prayer in schools, to marriage, to assited suicide, to the right NOT be forced into Christian prayer, the Christian right wants to force everyone in the country lives by their "moral" code.

This country, over the last 20 years or so, has become more and more dominated by Christian practices that at any time in the last century. Christian fundamentalists have more access to government leaders than any other organized group. Polilticians of all stripes make very visible displays of Christian conformity to curry favor with the electorate. Christian groups threaten boycotts of TV networks, and even the liberal CBS backs down. Yet you seriously believe Christians are discriminated against? Get real. There is no single constituancy in this country with as much power as the Christian right.
    This is the best post in this thread.... Everyone re-read this. He hit it 100% on the head here.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234