Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    this will no doubt be a popular christmas gift this year. with howard stern signing on, a new ceo on board, and soccer & football to be broadcast over sirius radio now, this is becoming very popular. its an early adopter technology right now, just as the treo was years ago. we are watching the makings of what could be a total overhaul of how we experience radio!!!

sirius' stock has rocketed in the past month or so as well. it was at $2.50 per share. since the above newstories were announced, its risen to nearly $7.00 per share!!! that's an amazing gain!

does anyone think siri is actually still a good buy right now at $6.50 even after this momentum? or would you wait until a correction to jump in and buy shares?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Go and buy the receiver, pay the monthly fee and decide if it makes sense to you. Then call your broker and ask him/her. Before you buy ... let us know ... we'll need to get in before you!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I agree vw2002. Sirius seems to have positioned itself to be the leader in Satellite Radio. I've been tossing around getting one for months. very soon...
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I hear ya td414. im not too excited about paying $40/month for some radio stations either.

I just can't help but notice all the buzz going on in wall street this month. its probably just momentum buying vs buying on substance and actual profits - ( they have no profits as this point.)
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    I hear ya td414. im not too excited about paying $40/month for some radio stations either.

I just can't help but notice all the buzz going on in wall street this month. its probably just momentum buying vs buying on substance and actual profits - ( they have no profits as this point.)
    If I spent more time in the car I would probably get it ... but I'm in the car for no more than 30 mins at a time usually.

I could get a base station for home ... but if I want uninterrupted music there I just fire up the satellite.

For me this is a no brainer ... it isn't practical for me.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    $40.00 a month? That's more like a satellite TV bill. I think Sirius runs about $13.00 per month.
    Like I said earlier, (if there is a market for satellite radio) I think Sirius is in a much better position than XM. The biggest reason is Sports. ala DTV. They have a contract with the NFL, NBA and NCAA. XM only has MLB. I'm not a huge Stern fan but his signing with Sirius pushed the stock even higher. Only time will tell.
    $40.00 a month? No no. It's $13 a month for your first receiver, or in my case I pay annually $120 a year. Additinal receivers are like $7 a month.

I've been a happy Sirius subscriber for 2 years now. All I can say is that once you go to Sirius you'll have a very hard time ever sitting through a 1/2 hour of FM radio at commute hour (when it's 50% comercials.) In other words, I listen to FM mabye 2% of the time now. I love it.
    I chose Sirius over XM because at the time XM had comercials and Sirius was 100% comercial free. Now they are both comercial free. Over all I think Sirius is better than XM, but both are great in each of their own way. Kind of like DSL vs. Cable modem, or DISH vs DirecTV.

You can sample all of the music channels at Sirius.com (listen online.)

It's worth it even if you only spend 1/2 hour each way to work in your car. It's invaluable if you ever take road trips (and I seem to take enough of those these days.)

I took a trip to Arizona recently and made the mistake of not getting Sirius in my rental car. I drove several hundred miles and missed my Sirius so dang much it hurt.
    Last edited by taylorh; 06/14/2005 at 12:29 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Can you get a car head unit with Sirius already in it or do you have to buy a separate Sirius unit?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Can you get a car head unit with Sirius already in it or do you have to buy a separate Sirius unit?
    Yes, either way. My new car had Sirius built in to the vehicles radio. I'm waiting to get the newest unity, the Rego Xact http://www.xactcommunication.com/Sir...7/Rego-84.html which is due out any time. As my second unity, this will provide use ina second vehicle, my home or even walking around.

Since getting my new car last fall, I've become a convert to Sirrius. No commericals and I can still get local weather and traffic, up to date news and a great choice of music for every whim.
    Both my parent's cars have XM...that's kewl too.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I live in the NW and I travel a lot in WA, OR, ID, and WY. I bought Sirius because it has two satellites with a lot higher angle than XM's limited 30 degree angle. Around here with all the hills, valleys, etc.. XM has a lot dead spots where Sirius works great!

I have had it for 18 months and it is well worth the $13 a month for me.
    Im an XM subscriber...Im an Opie & Anthony Fan.

Although Sirius stock has gained, keep in mind it fell from $9.xx a share to about what it is now. Howard Stern is going to make or break this company. They have a huge amount riding on his sucess on satellite radio.

Technologically, XM radio is about a full generation ahead of Sirius.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow

Technologically, XM radio is about a full generation ahead of Sirius.
    why is XM ahead of sirius?

Thanks
    XM and Sirius are both excellent. I have XM and my brother has Sirius. My main concern is with Sirius is its long term financial health. They over bid on all the sports contracts to get a percieved advantage in programming. They also have to more that double their subcribers list for the Howard Stearn contract to work out financially. By that time he will want more money. XM has all the baseball games which is good to listen to. Who wants to listen to a football game or basketball game. They are visual sports for sure. Personal belief is that XM has better hardware options. Researched both companies and although Sirius got that pop from two dollars to seven, XM should be the better long term investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Yes, most car stereos these days are satellite ready. Alpine for example is XM ready, Kenwood is Sirius ready. Ready means the in-dash deck is fully capable of using the satellite radio, but unless thing have changed lately you need to purchase a separate tuner that connects to the in-dash deck. It's something that you have installed (under a seat, in the trunk, etc. just like a CD changer would be) along with the satellite antenna which would be glued to the roof of your car.

There are also "plug and play" models that have home and car kits, but the downside to those is that they do not integrate into your car stereo and will be sitting on your dash or center console

I have a kendwood deck that's Sirius ready with a (1st generation) satellite tuner in the trunk. I also have a plug and play receiver that I use in my house, at work, or take with me camping etc.

I know that XM sells tuners that will work with a Sirius-ready deck (so you can use your in-dash deck with XM OR a Sirius tuner.) But so far I haven't seen the oppostie where Sirius tuners connect to an XM deck.

Go to http://www.crutchfield.com/ and check out the car stereos and satellite receivers. Their site is very educational.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    God, I haven't posted in forever, but this thread intrigued me. For those of you with satellite radio AND mp3 players, do you find them redundant? I use my ipod with an FM transmitter. I worry that if I have both satellite and my ipod, I'll use one but not the other. (Usually my radio listening is limited to talk radio and sports, and a little bit of music from one good station up here transmitting out of Vermont.)
    XM receiver technology is far superior as shown with its portable handheld device. Sirius I believe is still 12 months away from releasing their handheld.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbryon
    God, I haven't posted in forever, but this thread intrigued me. For those of you with satellite radio AND mp3 players, do you find them redundant? I use my ipod with an FM transmitter. I worry that if I have both satellite and my ipod, I'll use one but not the other. (Usually my radio listening is limited to talk radio and sports, and a little bit of music from one good station up here transmitting out of Vermont.)
    Yes, actually they are a bit redundant.
    Since I got satellite radio, I hardly touch my MP3 collection. I just like the randomness of radio and actually enjoy the words of the DJ ocasionally between songs. Since there are no ads, it's a solid music experience.
    When I installed the satellite radio in the car, I installed a CD changer with it... I hardly touched the CD changer, waste of money.

MP3s are pretty much for working out or plane/train rides. But for car, home, and outings, it's all satellite radio.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    XM receiver technology is far superior as shown with its portable handheld device. Sirius I believe is still 12 months away from releasing their handheld.
    Unfortunately you're right. The CE's that make radios for Sirius are on crack. They make some of the ugliest and strangest tuners with "what were they thinking when the designed it this way" features.
    I have a dilemma where I want to get a new plug and play tuner for Sirius. The one I want doesn't a have a boom box option, and ones that have boom box options don't have what I want.

I'm a die hard Sirius fan and I'm always looking over the fence to the XM people with hardware envy much like the Windows Mobile users look at us Treo users with hardware envy (Snappy little joke there.)
    Of all of the Sirius hardware out there, I don't really like any of them completely...they all have major things I dont like about them.
    But I like most of the XM hardware offerings.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Another question if I may....the satellite subscriptions, are they loaded with additional taxes and fees like my cell phone bill? Will my 12.95 a month really be $17 a month?

I'm really interested, but I'm trying to justify it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast