Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Anybody know where i can get a free email account that I can access from outlook express and my treo?

Many thanks...
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    gmail.com if you can find someone with invitations or when they go fully live.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    hmm... Any generous soul got an invite? ;-)
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

PM me with your email address.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Anybody know where i can get a free email account that I can access from outlook express and my treo?

Many thanks...
    Try Yahoo. They have a good mobile site.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    With Yahoo you'd need to pay for service to be able to access your email via POP3 (Outlook Express, Snappermail, etc). Mailblocks, Softhome, Fusemail, Gmail, Myway are all POP3 accessible
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    -Michael Pritchard
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops
    With Yahoo you'd need to pay for service to be able to access your email via POP3 (Outlook Express, Snappermail, etc). Mailblocks, Softhome, Fusemail, Gmail, Myway are all POP3 accessible
    You are correct, but I think the Y! mobile site allows you access from your Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    gmail.com if you can find someone with invitations or when they go fully live.
    ROFLMAO. you mean *if* they go fully live. eight months in beta and counting. gmail was created to stir pre-IPO fever, nothing more.

just my opinion as someone who sells email accounts for a living.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    ROFLMAO. you mean *if* they go fully live. eight months in beta and counting. gmail was created to stir pre-IPO fever, nothing more.

just my opinion as someone who sells email accounts for a living.
    Ummmm ... for GMail?

What about Comcast (if you're on the cable modem)?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Try going to Bluebottle.com. They give you a free spam blocking account that has pop and smtp support.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    936 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Thanks guys... a generous chap sent me a gmail invite. All up and running now with my new email address. Thanks for your comments/ input.

hotpop.com has free pop email. you have many choices for your domain name too (mine is "@punkass.com"!). Good luck.
    fastmail is a nice one
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    it's important to keep a little perspective on 'free' email accounts. for one thing, they aren't free, in the truest sense of the word. none of them are - they all generate revenue by one means or another, and that usually involves ads. secondly, free email providers are rarely stable. often, they don't last long. it's a bad idea to get too attached to most free email account providers, as there's a good chance that one day, it will simply not be there when you try to check mail, and there won't be a thing you can do about it.

am i biased? of course. i make my living selling email service. granted, most of my company's revenue comes from business accounts, with their own domain, who need reliable, and affordable email. they also need reliable email. did i mention they need reliable email? yes, i did. free email is often unreliable. am i talking through my hat? nope:

http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_rip.htm

am i suggesting it's not possible to get high quality, reliable, 'free' email? no, i'm not suggesting that either. yahoo is reasonably reliable*. so is hotmail*. gmail isn't a real email service yet, so it remains to be seen whether it'll be reliable in the long haul. my personal opinion is that it'll never come out of beta - it was created exclusively to pump up pre-IPO interest in google, nothing more. i may be proven wrong, but each month that passes it is that much further away from becoming a real product, in my opinion. it does not take eight months to wring out the bugs in an email service!

*both yahoo and hotmail have had some significant outages however - in hotmail's case, one that ran a couple of days of near total outage. yahoo fairly routinely is hit with long delays for incoming and outgoing mail. but still, if you must have free email, it's best to stick with a big name, rather than smallfry. though as above - a two day outage for your email may be unacceptable if you rely on it for important communications...
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    i forgot to mention, of course, that you can't use yahoo and many other of the biggies with your treo. the freebie accounts don't allow pop3 or imap connection to the inbox - only webmail*. you have to pay for that access. and that's where my company comes in**.

*the really persistent user i suppose could happily use their yahoo webmail using the blazer browser. i've no idea what sort of frustration or aggravation that would constitute, but i imagine it's definitely not for a power user...

**and that'll be my last blatant advertisement for my company here on treocentral!
    Last edited by anastrophe; 11/28/2004 at 03:02 PM. Reason: clarification
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Having used Yahoo! mail for YEARS, I have had no complaints. Having used their paid POP access for YEARS, I have no complaints. I routinely access Yahoo! using SnappeMail with no difficulty. Granted there may be an occasional time delay, but I have not come across a delay worth complaining about. From one complaint I made, it was traced down to the company sending the message to Yahoo! - their server was taking an average of 15 minutes per message and after they found that out and corrected the problem, responses via Yahoo! have been ok for me.

Down time? nothing like RoadRunner, which I used for four years. I also use FastMail with Chatter and have no complaints with it. FastMail offers a level of free service. The level of service provided by Yahoo! and FastMail is good enough that I have no problem in becoming a long-term customer.

Ben

-------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Having used Yahoo! mail for YEARS, I have had no complaints. Having used their paid POP access for YEARS, I have no complaints. I routinely access Yahoo! using SnappeMail with no difficulty. Granted there may be an occasional time delay, but I have not come across a delay worth complaining about. From one complaint I made, it was traced down to the company sending the message to Yahoo! - their server was taking an average of 15 minutes per message and after they found that out and corrected the problem, responses via Yahoo! have been ok for me.

Down time? nothing like RoadRunner, which I used for four years. I also use FastMail with Chatter and have no complaints with it. FastMail offers a level of free service. The level of service provided by Yahoo! and FastMail is good enough that I have no problem in becoming a long-term customer.

Ben

-------------------------
    as i said, by and large, the big providers work better than the small providers. but the bottom line, particularly in regard to the topic title, is that if you want reliable email, and an address that you don't have to worry is going to one day just disappear, you should expect to pay for it - and if you are using it with your treo, also going along with where this post is, you will most likely have to pay for it. or am i incorrect that you are paying for your email services, which was the point of my post?
    Last edited by anastrophe; 11/28/2004 at 08:38 PM. Reason: clarification
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Nope, I am paying for it with Yahoo and FastMail and agree with your statement about reliable email service. It just sounded though that you were slamming Yahoo a tad bit and as I mentioned, I have had no problems with them at all. Roadrunner though, being a paid service, was a completely different story. Also, my Sprint account is not nearly as reliable as Yahoo and the same with Verizon - that one just plain stinks.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Nope, I am paying for it with Yahoo and FastMail and agree with your statement about reliable email service. It just sounded though that you were slamming Yahoo a tad bit and as I mentioned, I have had no problems with them at all. Roadrunner though, being a paid service, was a completely different story. Also, my Sprint account is not nearly as reliable as Yahoo and the same with Verizon - that one just plain stinks.

Ben

fair enough. i'm only going by some reported outages that made headlines. i don't remember how many years ago. and i have a *lot* of customers who get mail from yahoo groups, and they often ask us if there are delays on our end, because it's taking hours for yahoo mail to get through to them. but the delays aren't here, they're at yahoo. however, that could just be specific to mail coming from the yahoogroups section of their service.

i've been managing email servers professionally for a decade now, so i'm somewhat focused on the issues, perhaps more so than a 'normal' person would be!
    Last edited by anastrophe; 11/28/2004 at 10:22 PM. Reason: clarification
    Paul Theodoropoulos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast