Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21  
    Turns out Delay himself had republicans vote to leave the rule the way it was, thus exposing him to potential removal as the caucus' head.

    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. House of Representatives Majority Leader Tom DeLay of Texas got fellow Republicans on Monday to reverse a recent rule change that would have allowed him to keep his leadership post even if indicted.

    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...rc=rss/topNews
  2.    #22  
    Still checking, Weller is still on International relations subcommittee:

    http://weller.house.gov/Committees/
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Turns out Delay himself had republicans vote to leave the rule the way it was, thus exposing him to potential removal as the caucus' head.

    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. House of Representatives Majority Leader Tom DeLay of Texas got fellow Republicans on Monday to reverse a recent rule change that would have allowed him to keep his leadership post even if indicted.

    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...rc=rss/topNews
    Yes, turns out the house republicans used a different strategy which even further weakens house ethics rules and should serve to keep Delay out of the hot seat.

    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ress_ethics_dc
  4. #24  
    That rule is independent of the one discussed earlier. The earlier rule (since retracted) acted on Republicans only at the time of indictment. This is a more general rule that affects both Republicans and Democrats (and others) and governs chamber-wide ethics. This will not prevent an indictment from removing Delay as the Majority Leader.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    That rule is independent of the one discussed earlier. The earlier rule (since retracted) acted on Republicans only at the time of indictment. This is a more general rule that affects both Republicans and Democrats (and others) and governs chamber-wide ethics. This will not prevent an indictment from removing Delay as the Majority Leader.
    OK, call it what you like, but it weakens house ethics rules even more than the Delay rule would have done. The bill provides a powerful new method for party leadership to block ethics charges on its members. The fact that all republicans voted for it and all democrats voted against it is also noteworthy.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    The fact that all republicans voted for it and all democrats voted against it is also noteworthy.
    That's always the way politics works. The leadership forces its members to vote one way while the other parties get to appear to "fighting for truth" by opposing it, all the while knowing they aren't really voting against it (as it would pass anyway).
  7.    #27  
    A serious conflict of interest (post #1) revs into overdrive....

    http://weller.house.gov/News/Documen...ocumentID=6501
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 01/17/2005 at 12:44 PM.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    A serious conflict of interest (post #1) revs into overdrive....

    http://weller.house.gov/News/Documen...ocumentID=6501
    And the problem is?

    Seriously cellmatrix, we all know that your are losing sleep over Weller's "serious confilict of interest", but we don't need to be reminded that he is just doing his job.

    Just let us know when he does something you don't like which he would not have done if he were not married to Montt's daughter.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbdh
    And the problem is?
    A former dictator who is barred from politics for killing 200,000 of his own people, who has set up his daughter to lead his party, and marries her to a congressman active in forming central american US policy. And you do not see anything wrong?

    Here is a quote from a State Department on Montt:

    Rios Montt's brief presidency was probably the most violent period of the 36-year internal conflict, which resulted in about 200,000 deaths of mostly unarmed indigenous civilians. Although leftist guerrillas and right-wing death squads also engaged in summary executions, forced disappearances, and torture of noncombatants, the vast majority of human rights violations were carried out by the Guatemalan military and the PACs they controlled. The internal conflict is described in great detail in the reports of the Historical Clarification Commission (CEH) and the Archbishop's Office for Human Rights (ODHAG). The CEH estimates that government forces were responsible for 93% of the violations; ODHAG earlier estimated that government forces were responsible for 80%.

    source: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2045.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by johnbdh
    Just let us know when he does something you don't like which he would not have done if he were not married to Montt's daughter.
    Sorry I will not be able to let you know about when he does something wrong, whatever deals Weller might make with Montt are not going to be publicised in his press conferences
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 01/17/2005 at 05:04 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions