Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    At work, we have a service to backup the files on our laptops (through the internet). I am looking for a similar program for home.. So far I have found, xDrive and Ibackup. What do other people use?

Thanks in advance
    I use idisk on the .mac server. It works great and integrates my home and work, but of course it is mac based
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, but I need a PC based solution.
    I have a USB device that I copy my files to. It's 160 Gigs though I only use a small fraction of it. Do these services work quickly and easily? I might want to buy one if I can replace my solution. As it is I have to copy the files and then stash the drive in a hidden place so if my apt. gets burgled I don't lose my data.
  5.    #5  
  6.    #6  
    bump..anyone?
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Have a look at some of these services.
  8.    #8  
    did ibackup go kaput?
    I just saw this thread. I use Connected DataProtector found at www.connected.com. For me, it seems to be the best service for the best price.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Any programs out there that will let me backup to my family's computer a few thousand miles away (and vice versa)? Something with syncing abilities would be best.
    Groove (www.groove.net)

Super Flexible File Synchronizer (www.superflexible.com)
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I have a USB device that I copy my files to. It's 160 Gigs though I only use a small fraction of it. Do these services work quickly and easily? I might want to buy one if I can replace my solution. As it is I have to copy the files and then stash the drive in a hidden place so if my apt. gets burgled I don't lose my data.
    the problem with this is if your apartment burns down you lose all your data
    Quote Originally Posted by clownracer
    Yep. I know. It's a risk I run.
  14.    #14  
    Annual :bump:
    Quote Originally Posted by clownracer
    The way to make that solution work is that when you leave, the drive goes with you. I use a laptop partition fo that purpose....Till I got te Treo, I never left the house without it. Now we are on the ...if I outta town, laptop goes in trunk rule. I also keep a tape backup in detached garage and in glove box of car.

You can back up ya Treo BTW on line now using BlueNomad's beta app.
    I backup multiple ways:

First, I have Connected Data Protector backing up about 3-4 gigs of data for $17.95/month. It does it automatically online every night. http://onlinebackup.connected.com/index.asp

Second, I use Foldershare, which is now free, to syncronize my data folders between my desktop and laptop. When both machines are connected, if I add or change a file on one computer, it automatically changes it on the other. I also share a large music connection between my desktop and my family computer. Foldershare makes all of my files available to me all of the time. https://www.foldershare.com/

Finally, every month or so, I create a Norton Ghost image of my entire drive onto an external hard drive in case I need to do a complete restore. It has saved my bacon a couple of times.

I am very carefull about backing up my data because I scan all of my incoming and outgoing documents, which is a lot. The files are scanned via File Center (www.myfilecenter.com), saved in pdf format and indexed for easy search and retrieval.

The beauty of scanning everything, and then sharing the files between computers with Foldershare is that all of my files are with me anywhere I go. It's like I have several filing cabinets of documents with me wherever I am at. But I need to have good backups.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I now keep a backup of my info at another location. So I'm all set, at least back to my last monthly backup.
  18.    #18  
    PC World article updated.

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/prin...,125729,00.asp

Summary - ibackup, with xdrive a close second. They did not look at connected data protector.
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Mozy! www.mozy.com. It is free for up to 2 gigs...
    How have people gotten comfortable with the security implications of this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast