Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I thought about this; two friends with braodband connections and static IPs could each get large usb storage devices and setup a mapped ftp and schedule backups.

Data is backed and off site.

Too simple?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I thought about this; two friends with braodband connections and static IPs could each get large usb storage devices and setup a mapped ftp and schedule backups.

Too simple?
    I've actually had the same thought. Somehow setup my computer in Houston and my parents' in Ct to mirror the important files. Business opportunity? Someone could write shareware to do this in an evening, methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas

Too simple?
    Not at all, except as one poster said before, this can be accomplished with foldershare without requiring FTP setup or port redirection. It's a super slick and free service. www.foldershare.com

I have it set up to back up my mother's business in Puerto Rico to my PC up here in the NY. Off-site-a-licious!

Though i can think of a couple reasons why this wouldn't be enough, for instance if you need top shelf security, a regular PC is not necessarily well protected. Or if the data is super sensitive you may not want to trust a friend with it.

Aside from backups, it's a great way to share files with friends. Just drop files into a folder and they just start dancing their way over the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I've actually had the same thought. Somehow setup my computer in Houston and my parents' in Ct to mirror the important files. Business opportunity? Someone could write shareware to do this in an evening, methinks.
    Definitely!

And KRamsauer and myself will only require 5% of the profits, each.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Not at all, except as one poster said before, this can be accomplished with foldershare without requiring FTP setup or port redirection. It's a super slick and free service. www.foldershare.com

I have it set up to back up my mother's business in Puerto Rico to my PC up here in the NY. Off-site-a-licious!

Though i can think of a couple reasons why this wouldn't be enough, for instance if you need top shelf security, a regular PC is not necessarily well protected. Or if the data is super sensitive you may not want to trust a friend with it.

Aside from backups, it's a great way to share files with friends. Just drop files into a folder and they just start dancing their way over the network.

Scweet! Checking this out now!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Definitely going to look into it.
    KRam,

Software for backup/synching:

SmartSync Pro

Very flexible and does ftp and email backups (ex. send those files to your gmail accounts.)

The other option is Groove, which has been mentioned here. Although file sync is a one part of the product, it does it very well and all encrypted.

Another good model is to use Truecrpyt (sp?) to make encrypted volumes (free) and then store backup files there and send it to a remote site. That takes care of security concerns and the offsite issue.

I used to run the risk of "hiding" a drive at home) until a techie co-worker can robbed and lost all his data going back 10 years. (they found the drive). He was devasted.

On line solution avoids that issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    I used to run the risk of "hiding" a drive at home) until a techie co-worker can robbed and lost all his data going back 10 years. (they found the drive). He was devasted.
    I switched from hiding to an off-site hard drive that I backup every month or so. I can deal with losing at most a month's worth of data.
    A month?

If I lost of month of data (esp. email, I would be in a world of hurt.)

I guess it's all risk tolerance and statistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    A month?

If I lost of month of data (esp. email, I would be in a world of hurt.)

I guess it's all risk tolerance and statistics.
    All I do on my desktop at home is watch TV, browse the web and update Microsoft Money once a month (if I'm diligent). I'd say in the course of a month I generate maybe a couple dozen photos I want to protect, an updated Money file and that's it!
    I just started using Carbonite. Its a 30 day free trail. After that its $100 per year per computer. They claim that for the licensed computer that the fee is fixed at $100 with unlimited storage.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I just started using Carbonite. Its a 30 day free trail. After that its $100 per year per computer. They claim that for the licensed computer that the fee is fixed at $100 with unlimited storage.
    Make sure it works properly. I haven't gotten xDrive (a different service from AOL) to work properly yet, although I really haven't spent that much time with it. It works sometimes, then it doesn't. They give you 5 GB free.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12