Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbdh
    I tried to say this earlier. Most academic environments will naturally bend toward the liberal side of the political spectrum. The professors in this environment feed on each other and bend the spectrum even further to the left. Birds of feather flock together...
    Maybe you do not mean this, but it seems to me like you are trying to evoke the image that all academic types gravitate into some type of liberal club, where conservatives feel left out.

From my own experience I know this is untrue. I have conservative colleagues and liberal colleagues, and a whole lot of colleagues who I do not know if they are liberal or conservative, and a whole lot of colleagues who do not know if I am liberal or conservative. I get along with them just fine. We help each other out, we share reagents, advice, it is definitely a comradery of people. But it has nothing to do with politics.

I agree with you on your other point, more conservatives go into the private sector and more liberals go into academics as a result of personal choice, simple as that.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 11/28/2004 at 10:53 AM.
    I can't really comment on the field of medicine since I have no experience with it. All I can say is that I think that conservatives tend to take the career path that leads to the greatest income. In my field, and I would believe many others, that would be the private sector. Yes, we are the money grubbers that the Democrats paint us out to be in this respect. I admit it. Whereas with liberals, income is not usually their prime motivator and teaching allows them to achieve goals that would not be obtainable in the private sector. Thus, they teach. It all comes down to career goals. That's all it is.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I can't really comment on the field of medicine since I have no experience with it. All I can say is that I think that conservatives tend to take the career path that leads to the greatest income. In my field, and I would believe many others, that would be the private sector. Yes, we are the money grubbers that the Democrats paint us out to be in this respect. I admit it. Whereas with liberals, income is not usually their prime motivator and teaching allows them to achieve goals that would not be obtainable in the private sector. Thus, they teach. It all comes down to career goals. That's all it is.
    You hit the nail square on the head, thanks for your comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    ....I think that conservatives tend to take the career path that leads to the greatest income. ....Whereas with liberals, income is not usually their prime motivator...
    I believe this statement to be on par with urban legend. Guess it's my turn to get defensive...

Consider the following professions which one could say are predominantly Conservative but hardly represent avenues to the greatest income...

Career Military Officers
    Farmers, Cattle Ranchers, etc. (some do make a lot of money, but it's not their motivator)
    Fundamentalist Clergy

Now consider professions predominantly liberal which are avenues to the greatest income...

Lawyers
    Actors, Actresses and Pop Musicians (Hollywood)
    Medical Doctors (money, however, may not be their motivator)

How about people we know and love on the liberal side who do not fit this mold...
    John Kerry
    John Edwards
    Donald Trump
    Steve Jobs
    Bill Gates
    The Kennedys
    Streisand, Moore, Madona, etc., etc.

The interesting thing, I think, is that if you take a close look at people in the public eye you will find more super rich liberals than conservatives. I could list the rich on the conservative side here, but it seems to me most of the super rich are liberals. Actually as I tried to think of conservatives for my rich list, I could only come up with a few that were stinking rich like Ross Perot. If you want professions that are conservative and avenues to wealth professional sports, and big business are the clearest examples.

The secret to most, not all, people who become wealthy is that they do not pursue their riches. Greed is usually not a factor. Instead successful conservatives and liberals alike pursue their interests and their passions. Wealth is only a byproduct of their hard work and passion. This is true of both conservatives and liberals and neither has a monopoly on either greed or passion.

Having said that I would concur that a liberal would more likely have a passion to teach than a conservative. This is to say that their passions differ, not that their motivation to or away from the private section has much if anything to do with their lust, or lack their of, for money.
    People who are interested in making a lot of money do not go into academics, they go into the private sector.

Academics are 7 to 1 liberal to conservative in large part because liberals are more willing to forego some of thier potential "bottom line" for what they perceive as a greater good - ie making discoveries and teaching.

Conservatives are less willing to forego their bottom line unless there is a very good reason that they want to agree with.

This perfectly explains the differences between the two groups on taxes too.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    People who are interested in making a lot of money do not go into academics, they go into the private sector.

Academics are 7 to 1 liberal to conservative in large part because liberals are more willing to forego some of thier potential "bottom line" for what they perceive as a greater good - ie making discoveries and teaching.

Conservatives are less willing to forego their bottom line unless there is a very good reason that they want to agree with.

This perfectly explains the differences between the two groups on taxes too.
    Sorry cellmatrix, but your logic is flawed.

WHY ARE Academics 7 to 1 liberal to conservative

Premise 1: People who are interested in making a lot of money do not go into academics, they go into the private sector.
    TRUE by definition.

Premise 2: liberals are more willing to forego some of thier potential "bottom line" for what they perceive as a greater good.
    THEORY, NOT PROVEN. I contend that conservatives, especially those in their early 20s, are just as likely as their liberal peers to hold to such a life/career view.

Premise 3: Conservatives are less willing to forego their bottom line unless there is a very good reason that they want to agree with.
    THEORY, NOT PROVEN. Again a liberal graduate is just as likely to feel this way as a conservative graduate. Nothing in this proof supports this premise.

Proof: More liberals choose to be academics than conservatives.
    FALSE - PREMISE 2 AND PREMISE 3 ARE NOT PROVEN TRUE.

I challenge you to prove that Premise 2 and 3 are true. I believe that the private sector in general is evenly divided between liberals to conservatives. Some segments of the private sector lean one way or the other. In the same way academia happens to lean to the left, but like the private sector, for reasons other than financial.
    Last edited by johnbdh; 11/30/2004 at 09:43 PM.
    John, thank you for taking the time to critique my argument, however, your own conclusions arise from speculation, and do not convince me. I did some literature searching on career choice and political preference, and have not been able to locate data pertinent to either of our arguments. If you are able to come across any credible studies dealing with this subject, please let me know, I am interested to learn more. Until then, Bob-C's explanation above is the most likely one to me.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 12/01/2004 at 02:23 PM.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456