1.    #1  
    At the risk of opening a can of worms, what does everyone think of the intro to Monday Night Football with TO and Nicolette Sheridan?

My opinion? I wasn't offended, but I don't see why they feel they need to do things like that. I think it makes the game of football worse off. It's a great game. It doesn't need that garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    At the risk of opening a can of worms, what does everyone think of the intro to Monday Night Football with TO and Nicolette Sheridan?

My opinion? I wasn't offended, but I don't see why they feel they need to do things like that. I think it makes the game of football worse off. It's a great game. It doesn't need that garbage.
    I'm with you 100% on this.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Dare I take it there people and say that if it were Brett Farve there would be no big deal about it at all...
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
  4.    #4  
    TO has his own set of problems, but I think if it were Farve it perhaps would have been less of a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcdowell357
    Dare I take it there people and say that if it were Brett Farve there would be no big deal about it at all...
    Unless it was Janet Jackson that jumped into his arms ...

or Timberlake rofl. Side note though seriously why doesn't Timerblake catch the same amount of flack that janet does. I doubt she would have torn her own clothes. Heck Justin ripped her outfit.... just an observation
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcdowell357
    or Timberlake rofl. Side note though seriously why doesn't Timerblake catch the same amount of flack that janet does. I doubt she would have torn her own clothes. Heck Justin ripped her outfit.... just an observation
    Because he screwed up the Britney thing ...

Tom Brady would have won an Emmy had he done what TO did. TO's apology was scripted for a press conference as ABC anticipated touching a nerve in middle America. I have a sports agent friends and I hear a lot of sports agent stories. I have a number of professional athlete friends and I hear a lot of professional athlete stories.

I have learned this -- Professional Football is first ENTERTAINMENT and then secondly it's a game. At some colleges and at the high school level -- it is still a game first. Scary thing LeBron James almost changed that for high school basketball. I probably should not say this, but I know a sports agent who was involved with him (he's a nice kid I'm told), but there are other people (some who do not know how to have his best interests at heart). He's done well for himself and survived that and the media blitz. He's learned that is not "just on the court talent" that is being showcased and sold, but his personal appeal as well. He learned early that it's entertainment! If it were just a game, we would line these guys up on the grid iron and they would simply play the game without the Dallas Cowgirl Cheerleaders. There would be no "Back Stories" of hardship growing up in the slums of Detroit and over-comings of adversity. We would not hide microphones on these guys while they are out on the field of play and listen to their every thought.

Back in the mid 80s, either NBC or CBS broadcast an entire NFL game without commentators as an experiment. They only permitted sounds from the field. I remember it distinctly being a ratings disaster and numerous letters were written. But it stimulated healthy debate about the line between sports and entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer

Last edited by specimen38; 11/26/2004 at 02:41 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    I remember it distinctly being a ratings disaster and numerous letters were written. But it stimulated healthy debate about the line between sports and entertainment.
    Wherever the line is (surely sports includes announcers) it surely doesn't include locker room sex. Supporting entertainment (color commentators, etc.) is different from completely disconnected entertainment (which is one of the reasons the xfl was so laughable).
    "....the line," as you put it -- is where? The Simpsons, South Park, King of the Hill, Bevis & Butthead and a new one I can't think of at the moment are part of a trend that has forever changed the boundary or crossed over where "that line" was drawn. Sports is a part of television that is why it can not be exempted and set apart in my analogies. Someone at ABC Sports is looking at our culture and its consumption of entertainment, and has concluded that the Monday Night Football audience is getting younger and more segmented. From this demograhic, there are two types of roles models to sell: Squeaky clean and Defiant personalities. Both sell to a generation of early 20s to 36ish. They've grown up on Jerry Springer, who changed or crossed the line of decent television many years ago. There is a defiant generation with defiant role models such as Iverson(why does Iverson still have a shoe contract?), Sprewell, 50 cent, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, and you saw it coming with Dennis Rodman 10 years ago. Why in the h*** does ESPN permit Charles Barkley to sit on the Panel of the NBA Round Table show and shell out insults with little or no insight or analysis on the game of basketball. Because defiance sells. (By the way, ESPN is partially owned by ABC)

Last night, I was sharing this thread with another friend, who works directly with this sports agent friend of ours. This guy is a lawyer. He has been close enough to TO's camp to make this assessment. TO is Muhammad Ali smart. That is, Ali took the road of marketing defiance 35 years ago, backed it up in the ring and became the most recognized human being on the planet. More people know more about Ali than they do George W. Bush. Like Ali, if TO backs it up on the football field -- people scream, yell and forget.

They sell you "sex in the locker room" because they believe there is a Neanderthal or a tamed and repressed Neaderthal in all of us that is outraged at the thought of TO and Sheridan simulating a sex act in the locker room before a big game. The irony of all this -- is that you are de-sensitized and the Ad-wizards know you will get over it. Somewhere down deep inside that repressed, restrained, and more refined Neaderthal thinks what TO and Sheridan might do is Okay -- just not Okay on Monday Night Football.

Someone else who draws "the line as you call it" might say sex between two unmarried people is unacceptable period because the Bible says so. Someone else drawing a different line might ask why do men huddle around a TV set watching a violent sport?

Perhaps from your orientation, sports needs announcers. You use the term sports as though you are a first person spectator. In some respect, you sound like a sports purist sitting at home watching the game on a television set. In a literal sense, what you are saying is absolutely true if you are in the stadium at the game. There is nothing to compete with it. But TELEVISED SPORTS is a third person experience that competes with other channels and distracts us with commericials, etc.

Sorry for rambling on long enough here. But nothing is sacred, it's all up for sale. Not even MNF, it too is stained by what is going on in our culture.

[QUOTE=KRamsauer]Wherever the line is (surely sports includes announcers) it surely doesn't include locker room sex. [\QUOTE]
    Last edited by specimen38; 11/27/2004 at 10:34 AM.
    Bottom Line: After the MNF stunt DHW went from a 13 share to a 17 share the following week.

Sounds like it was a good biz move to me, plus it wasn't an outrageous stunt. People get too uptight about this kind of thing. They should be getting this outraged about how we are getting screwed by the folks in DC. Football and sex have been married for years, don't act like this is something new or shocking.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Well, I find it disgusting. Not the actress or TO, the fact that ABC was promoting one of their new shows. Like fox using that 'superstar' Leon. Just let me watch the sporting event. In soccer, they have much more innovating commercials. They only take up a small portion of the screen and you get to see the action of the game.
    Please refrain from flaming the sport soccer. I'm just commenting on how commercials should be run during a sporting event.
    Remember: You are an unique, individual person...just like everyone else
    Quote Originally Posted by KypDurron
    In soccer, they have much more innovating commercials. They only take up a small portion of the screen and you get to see the action of the game.
    I know what you mean. I saw this in Europe. I hope this migrates its way to sporting events on this side of the pond.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    My point exactly. It's marketing and sells. They've been selling sex and football together for a long time. Remember that very popular Beer commercial a year ago. I think it was Coors that was suggestive of a manage a trois with twins. The announcer gets a certain inflection in his voice when he says and the twins. Who's complaining?

I love quarterbacks eating dirt palm palms and short skirts AND THE TWINS

Where is the line drawn? Perhaps it's drawn around people we don't like. Barry Bonds has the same image problem. Some of it he created for himself and some of it conjured up in the public arena. Are we a better people and country for rejecting the TO and Sheridan adverstisement because the game of football does need that? Or are we a better people and country for rejecting the Coors/Twins adverstisement because the game of football does need that?

It's just like what you said. Ratings! Which means they charge more dollars for a TRT :30 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Bottom Line: After the MNF stunt DHW went from a 13 share to a 17 share the following week.

Sounds like it was a good biz move to me, plus it wasn't an outrageous stunt. People get too uptight about this kind of thing. They should be getting this outraged about how we are getting screwed by the folks in DC. Football and sex have been married for years, don't act like this is something new or shocking.
    Just saw a commercial on ABC (ND vs. USC game) where these so called tough guys are admitting watching DHW. It's all about going after market share, that's it! Just Business!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Treosixoo,

Just saw a commercial on ABC (ND vs. USC game) where these so called tough guys are admitting watching DHW. It's all about going after market share, that's it! Just Business!!
    DHW is the new "Sex and the Suburbs." ABC is pulling out all of the stops to make this the most watched show on television. This going to put a lot of pressure on the other networks to do even more outrageous stuff. By the way, where did you get that ratings share number from? That was a huge jump by television standards.
  17.    #17  
    One thing I appreciate about the Twins commercials is that they don't use real players in them. I know it's a fine line, but I like the perception that what goes on on the field stays there (kinda like vegas). They actually did some Twins commericials with older players (the fridge was there, I know) and I didn't like it at all.
    Treosixoo,

DHW is the new "Sex and the Suburbs." ABC is pulling out all of the stops to make this the most watched show on television. This going to put a lot of pressure on the other networks to do even more outrageous stuff. By the way, where did you get that ratings share number from? That was a huge jump by television standards.
    I do alot of work in television. Got that from one of my friends who deals with ratings.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I do alot of work in television. Got that from one of my friends who deals with ratings.
    The price of a 30 second commercial with a rating share of 17 must cost a couple of million dollars. Is ABC broadcasting the SuperBowl this year? If so, I would imagined it would help their profit per ads sold during the game.
    The price of a 30 second commercial with a rating share of 17 must cost a couple of million dollars.
    No, it's not that much for a 17 share. Superbowl commercials are about that much, but they are pulling close to a 50 share.

Is ABC broadcasting the SuperBowl this year?
    FOX
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?