Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have switched to Firefox lately (as every decent PC user should... ). Among the many advantages, there is a small inconvenience I noticed: the smilies and the tags from the TC "reply to post menu" do not work as nicely as before, for instance, smilies are always inserted at the end of the post instead of at the cursor position, or highlighted text is not automatically included into tags.

Is there a way around that?

Apart from that: Firefox is really great, forget Microsoft's Internet Explorer. Firefox is not only safer, but also more convenient and, last but not least, cooler.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    So, I guess you used IE to start this thread, given the location of your smilies?
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Tabbed browsing is the perfect utility to visit Treocentral.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    So, I guess you used IE to start this thread, given the location of your smilies?
    No, it was Firefox. You can add a smiley at the end of what you have written so far, like this: and then go on writing. But you cannot add one later by clicking on the smiley symbol from the "smiley menu". However, you can still add them later by typing the :, p, ;, ), etc. you need, or by copy/pasting the stuff you want where you want it. It is just not as convenient as before.

But overall, Firefox is still much better than Internet Explorer.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    No, it was Firefox. You can add a smiley at the end of what you have written so far, like this: and then go on writing. But you cannot add one later by clicking on the smiley symbol from the "smiley menu". However, you can still add them later by typing the :, p, ;, ), etc. you need, or by copy/pasting the stuff you want where you want it. It is just not as convenient as before.

But overall, Firefox is still much better than Internet Explorer.
    Agreed on Firefox - been using for a few days now and really like it (BTW - far better than the IE 7 Beta too). I can't seem to insert smilies at all any more - I get a link instead, unless I type the text for the smilie
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Dont forget to keep IE handy to display sites that just flatout will not render with Firefox.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Add these extensions to your install and you will like it even more.

Super Dragandgo
    IE Tab
    PDF Download
    Download Manager Tweak
    Tabbrowser Preferences
    Tab Clicking Options
    Sage

Welcome to the firefox camp.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Dont forget to keep IE handy to display sites that just flatout will not render with Firefox.
    Add the IE Tab extension to firefox and you don't need to launch IE separately ever again.
    Last edited by naivete; 05/01/2006 at 01:06 PM.
    Also remember to use IE for those sites that like to exploit unpatched (or patched at a snails-pace) vulnerabilities like the createTextRange(); exploit and some more IE Exploits De Jour:

http://secunia.com/advisories/19762
    http://www.frsirt.com/english/advisories/2006/1559

I certainly wouldn't do business with nor visit a website requiring IE only, IE's renderer is likely the most liberal which results in unexpected behavior and page rendering.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Add these extensions to your install and you will like it even more.

Super Dragandgo
    IE Tab
    PDF Download
    Download Manager Tweak
    Tabbrowser Preferences
    Tab Clicking Options
    Sage

Welcome to the firefox camp.
    Thanks. I assume "extensions" = "plug-ins"?
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Also remember to use IE for those sites that like to exploit unpatched (or patched at a snails-pace) vulnerabilities like the createTextRange(); exploit and some more IE Exploits De Jour:
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Thanks. I assume "extensions" = "plug-ins"?
    I listed extensions, not plugins. Plugins are things like flash, java, etc. Extensions are user-submitted enhancements.
    Last edited by naivete; 05/01/2006 at 01:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    I listed extensions, not plugins. Plugins are things like flash, java, etc. Extensions are user-submitted enhancements.
    Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Thanks again.
    I just read a recent computer magazine that says you should use the latest Firefox version 1.5.0.1, because the previous version has security flaws.
    Actually you should use Firefox 1.5.0.2 which patches all the latest security flaws.

Also an excellent extension to use is SessionSaver
    https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...nfo.php?id=436

This will always save the last browser windows you had open, even if you browser crashes or dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Caf
    Actually you should use Firefox 1.5.0.2 which patches all the latest security flaws.

Also an excellent extension to use is SessionSaver
    https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...nfo.php?id=436

This will always save the last browser windows you had open, even if you browser crashes or dies.
    TabMixPlus gives you session capability and tab options like TabBrowser Preferences, all in one!

Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    I certainly wouldn't do business with nor visit a website requiring IE only...
    Of course. I installed Firefox, and now half the internet is broken. It is not my browser, my browser is the best, it is just that half the internet is broken.

Anyway, my half of the internet is better.
    I visited one of those back in 2002.....

www.thinkpads.com IIRC.
    Thanks again.
    Don't go too crazy loading up on extensions. Firefox has had a memory leak problem since the beginning.

Some things can be controlled a bit, like the Browser cache settings in about:config, (a big culprit.) But going crazy with every extension known to man will eat resources.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast