1.    #1  
    http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=2527534

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- An error with an electronic voting system gave President Bush 3,893 extra votes in suburban Columbus, elections officials said.

Franklin County's unofficial results had Bush receiving 4,258 votes to Democrat John Kerry's 260 votes in a precinct in Gahanna. Records show only 638 voters cast ballots in that precinct. Bush's total should have been recorded as 365.
    It's amazing that we can measure particles inside an atom smasher that exist for a fraction of a fraction of a second, but yet when it comes to measuring hole votes we suck.
    I live in the next suburb over from Gahanna and this total was corrected as soon as it was caught - no biggie. This was a one precinct, one machine glitch. My county (Franklin) still went for Kerry, but the surrounding counties all went for Bush. The religious right was energized by the "red-meat" wedge issue on the ballot of a state-wide ban on gay marriage. They turned out in greater numbers than in 2000 and overwhelmed our attempts to get more first time voters to the polls state-wide.

We had a record turnout and that is heartening to me as both a small "d" and big "D" democrat.

The real stories in Ohio are the 93,000 punch card ballots that could not be read (and therefore couldn't be counted) and the 130,000+ provisional ballots that cannot be counted by state law until ten days after the election. 75% of Ohio still uses punch card voting because the Right to Vote Act failed to provide funding for voting machine upgrades. The financial inequities that exist between the rural vs. suburban vs. urban counties kept most counties from upgrading in time for this election. The provisional ballots will ALL be counted next week. Unfortunately, this will probably end up being just a footnote to this nasty election.

Please stop blaming Ohio. Like it or not, Bush got more national votes this time. This was our complaint in 2000 about Bush vs. Gore. Let's not be hypocrites. Ohio was "treated" to over 40 visits from the candidates and a constant parade of vitriolic ads on TV. My big complaint here is the Electoral College. This system of electing a president resulted in my Ohio vote being worth more than a vote in a state that wasn't competitive this year. My vote should not be worth more than anyone else's. Ohio shouldn't be getting more attention from the candidates than any other state. This needs to be changed before the next election.

I'm not happy about the outcome, but the people have spoken. The Republicans shouldn't gloat too much though. They now control all the levers of the national government and will have to take the responsibility for what happens next.

I wish them luck, they're gonna need a lot of it,
    EdK

BTW eurokitty, I saw Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders play "My City Was Gone" in Cleveland at Music Hall back in the 1980s. It was a great show near Chrissie's Akron hometown. Martin Chambers was awesome on drums during "Time the Avenger" and "Message of Love". Rush Limbaugh totally ruined "My City Was Gone" for me by using it as his theme song during the Clinton years.
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G