1.    #1  
    I don't know how reliable the source is, but according to this site there are some interesting patterns emerging from the election.
    Interesting. If that data is true, (big IF), then it shows that people can be very smart in some areas and very misinformed in other areas (EDIT: i.e. areas like politics vs. science, not geographical areas).
    Last edited by Im So Unpopular; 11/04/2004 at 02:18 PM.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    The data's not true. He claims at the bottom that the data somewhat correlates to the page he links to - it doesn't.

Using the data on the linked page, it looks like this: http://www.geekandproud.net/stuff/iq.html

Edit: and I'm insulted by your "smart in some areas and misinformed in others" statement. I consider myself fairly smart, and well informed, and did not vote for President Bush.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Presidential elections should enhance, not reverse evolutionary selection.

P.S. these data are obviously bogus, California and Hawaii should be at the top
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 11/04/2004 at 04:34 PM.
    Completely bogus. Someone, aside from us , obviously has way too much time on their hands.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    This proves that smart does not equal wise.
    I know that no one is making a causal inference here, but I still think I should point out that cultural factors weigh heavily on IQ scores and are most likely highly correlated with geography.
    Demographics as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I know that no one is making a causal inference here, but I still think I should point out that cultural factors weigh heavily on IQ scores and are most likely highly correlated with geography.
    The level of prenatal health care in a given community can also influence the average intelligence. The more we improve the availability of prenatal health care in our country the more we can prevent mental retardation and other diseases. This is one situation where a smart public policy can actually contribute to a smart public (and vice versa).
    http://health.discovery.com/encyclopedias/2904.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
    Dwelling on this for a moment longer, I think it would be wonderful if the pro-life movement could channel more of their activisim and support for protecting the unborn through widening the access and scope of prenatal care for women in their communities and at the federal level. That would be something that people on the left as well as the right might be able to see value in. Hey GWB, ya catchin this?
    I just floated across this elsewhere and am looking for an excuse to repost it because it's neat.

From USAtoday:

For comparison with population density:
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous