Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    ...Shopharim: Gotcha, no worries (I disagree but understand), but that is a pragmatic issue, not a value one. So if you are saying I am wrong with my whole values-beats-pragmatics belief then OK, got your point.
    I was just saying that it may not be either/or, as I inferred from your post. But rather it could be both/and.

Having said that, I should also concede that you may be right on target.
    Over 1600 Canadians have volunteered to marry Americans to help them with their mass exodus to the North! Be sure to spread the word to all your liberal friends!

http://www.marryanamerican.ca/pledge/signed.php
    Last edited by clairegrrl; 11/05/2004 at 06:18 PM.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I could drive them up there if that would help. Maybe pay for a bus or two? I heard Canada is great- better go when the getting is good- LOL
    From what I understand (reading Princeton economist Paul Krugman, for example), SS is doing just fine, it is in fact growing very well. The problem is that administrations (of both parties) have used it too often as a piggy-bank to pay for other schemes (wars and entitlements).

My job is a college counsellor in an elite school in Istanbul, so when I mention America's loss of brain power it is more than opinion.
    -mbd26
    A social security system that lets people save their own money, instead of having current workers pay for current retirees, seems like a better solution. It is a step up for people to save for themselves, and for the retiring folks not to have to depend on someone else for their livelihood. Moving toward that model is a good idea, I think, and that is what Bush has in mind.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/06/op...brooks.html?th

see www.bugmenot.com if you don't want to register for nytimes' site
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    My job is a college counsellor in an elite school in Istanbul, so when I mention America's loss of brain power it is more than opinion.
    I wish to understand this statement. Are you saying that since you are now in Turkey performing as a college counselor, your leaving had a measurable effect on "America's loss of brain power"?

I am sorry, assuming I understand your statement to mean this, you are a tad full of yourself are you not? I mean reall that is an awfully arrrogant position. Your leaving has an effecton the brain power of America? I am going to guess that it was immediately negated by someone else crosing the border into our country.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456