Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    limit free speech, kitty? whoever supported that?

again, trying to make up excuses for why you didn't get your way.

see? this is our point. voter intimidation, disenfranchisement, discrimination - these are the usual suspects you use to try to make repubs look bad.

everyone knows this now, kitty. and now these comments turn everyone off to you bc we know they are disingenuous.

the better man won.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    But nearly isnt enough. Bush won by a majority of the popular vote.
    He did not win by a landslide. The country will remain divided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    REMINDER: your boy Bush did NOT win by a landslide. Nearly half the country voted against him, so I am not some radical minority. I am just the only person on this board with the backbone to come here and face it.
    FYI, he garnered a greater % of the vote than anyone since his father. Perhaps not a landslide, but more support than Clinton or Gore ever had.
    http://www.uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    limit free speech, kitty? whoever supported that?

again, trying to make up excuses for why you didn't get your way.

see? this is our point. voter intimidation, disenfranchisement, discrimination - these are the usual suspects you use to try to make repubs look bad.

everyone knows this now, kitty. and now these comments turn everyone off to you bc we know they are disingenuous.

the better man won.
    Please post links that prove Democrats caused voter intimidation and discrimination in this year's election. Thanks.
  5.    #45  
    Well, this has been fun kids, but this "disingenuous" social worker has patients to see. Two of them just returned home from months at Walter Reed rehabing after losing limbs in Iraq. Have fun in your mental masturbation session with one another.
    Thanks for this post, I went back and clarified my position on this (late night post and all). I believe that religion of ANY KIND does not have a place in Government. That was not how it was intended by our forefathers.
    I think you are mistaken on this. First, look at all the references to the "Creator" and "God" in their contemporary papers. Further, if they had wanted religion to have no place in gov't, they would have said as much. Instead they said "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." There shall be no official religion, granted. But they also went so far as to say you cannot ban religion.
    I remember last night when Larry King and his tools were touting how the outcome pattern of electoral victories for each of the candidates (except Nader) was similar to the 2000 election. Then came the inferences: Nothing has changed since then, people are still voting the same way as in 2000, what does this mean, ad nauseum, etc.

Perhaps what it really means is that we're still a very divided country. We were back then, and we are still now. Blue on the coasts and red throughout the middle. That's the bottom line - and this country has been reeling toward divide ever since 2000.

What I feel most badly about is not that Kerry lost and not even that Bush won (well, I do feel somewhat badly about that). What's terrible is that the Bush administration is back in action. I've never seen, heard or read about a more incompetent administration with respect to their dealings in foreign affairs, environmental policy, gun control, healthcare, white collar crime, etc. Would the Kerry administration have been better - maybe. Alas, we won't know. But we do know what IS bad.

Point of the rant? Dems lost this election; Bush didn't win it. The Dems did not play their cards right and may have gone, among other things, too far left. Their platform has been shaky ever since The Great Robbery of 2000. Also, I never thought Edwards was a good running mate selection in the first place. Although historically NC has trended to GOP, it is still "weakest" of Deep South states, and I found it embarassing that Edwards lost it.

I feel the GOP is a very strong party, and as a registered Democrat all my life I envy their general solidarity these days. We need to restructure our platform and find some appeal again to mainstream Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I think you are mistaken on this. First, look at all the references to the "Creator" and "God" in their contemporary papers. Further, if they had wanted religion to have no place in gov't, they would have said as much. Instead they said "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." There shall be no official religion, granted. But they also went so far as to say you cannot ban religion.

Exactly, the bill of rights is the natural outflowing of founding a country on the belief that mans inherent worth comes from God and certain elements and rights of being human flow from God not man.

On the other hand, if a government is founded on the premises that govt ( a collection of men) determine what value other men have, we are left with slavery, holocaust etc. and they are all consistent with a humanistic framework. For man is the sole arbiter of right and wrong.

Yes the U.S. had slavery but it wasn't consistent with its founding. Thats my point.

"If chance be
    the Father of all flesh,
    disaster is his rainbow in the sky,
    and when you hear

State of Emergency!
    Sniper Kills Ten!
    Troops on Rampage!
    Whites go Looting!
    Bomb Blasts School!

It is but the sound of man
    worshipping his maker. "
    Last edited by carter437; 11/03/2004 at 10:27 AM.
    That's sad Kitty. Along with the 3000 lives we lost too. Police officers are killed every day defending this county. God Bless all of them for their courage and serving their county. Its men and woman like them who make this country what it is. And thanks to them they probably saved many more thousands of lives from these very sick people.

Churchill
    "If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves"
    Two phenomenons this year:

Boston Red Sox won to break a curse and Bush won to continue one.
    *phenomena

I agree with you.
    REMINDER: your boy Bush did NOT win by a landslide. Nearly half the country voted against him, so I am not some radical minority. I am just the only person on this board with the backbone to come here and face it.
    LOL. Really this is hilarious. For the last 4 years the lefts mantra always reverts to....

"REMINDER: your boy Bush did not win the popular vote."

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard or read that the President did not win the popular vote in 2000. It flows like water from all of my liberal friends mouths in any discussion of the President.

In 2,000 Al Gore won the popular vote by a mere 500,000 and less than 50% of the vote. This time President Bush has won more than 50% of the vote, with more than 3.5 million votes.

Eurokitty, do you really want to remind us that "nearly half the country voted against" President Bush? Amazing.

Really folks, the election is over. It's time to put all of our bickering behind us. You do not have to like the results or the winner himself, but it is vital that we, left and right, come together to fight for our way of life.

To my friends on the right. It is not time to gloat!!! There is far too much work to be done, and far too many dangers for us to stoop to this ugliness. We won, congratulate the other side for a well fought fight and let's move on.

This is a great country made even greater today by the way so many people came together to exercise their civic duty and participate in our government by voting, more than any election in history. Lets take that positive and move forward together.

Eurokitty's list does have a few truths. Most importantly, our fight against terrorism demands that we be united as a people. Forget about how we got to where we are today, we have to get behind the administration in this fight including Iraq. Otherwise the terrorists will win.

Remember terrorism wins by dividing the enemy and undermining his will to fight. If the rest of the country continues as this thread is going, we just might let the terrorist win in the end.

I think we as a country are better than that. "United we stand, divided we fall" has never been truer than it is today.
    Getting rid of fundamentalist Christianity is not the same as getting rid of fundamentalist Christians. I think she speaks of ridding the ideology - similar to what many folks believe about Islamic fundamentalism.

Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I'm sure she'd like to start with less "The Passion of the Christ" and more "Fahrenheit 9/11", right?

Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    .... It would be nice if we could get rid of fundamentalist Christianity for once and for all in this country. Now there's a chance we will, just not right away.

That was one of the dumbest comments I've ever read on any thread. I am in no way a fundamentalist anything but I'm just shocked and stunned that she could actually say that with a straight face. Talk about a hatemonger, you need to look in the mirror. Wow, that smacks of something Hitler would've said 70 years ago. And you want sympathy for your cause??? I can't imagine you would've voted for Kerry, as much of a raging liberal as he is, he probably doesn't go far enough for you.
    Dems lost this election; Bush didn't win it
    LOL. That is just nuts. Open up your closed mind. There are many people who embrace Republicans and feel that is the correct way to run a government. People like me who are not looking for governments handouts. People like me who are willing to be responsible for themselves. Why is it that people can spend $40,000 on a car or $300,000 on a home...but when it comes to paying for their own healthcare they feel that the government should help? Heck- if that's the case maybe they could pay for my very expensive car insurance. Maybe they should pay for my health club membership.

I understand you are not happy with the end result. But you have to understand not every feels that your way is the correct way. As I understand you feel differently then my views. They all said if the voter turnout was large that the Rep would lose. Gee that didn’t happen- I wonder why? I do have to agree with you on one point. Kerry was a weak candidate and swayed when the wind blew.
    I just wonder if Eurokitty is really the person we want providing care to our vets. I mean she has such vitriolic hatred for republicans, how can she care for many of our troops, whoi are republicans without letting her hatred come through. Do they get the same care as the democrat soldiers do or does she treat them with the smae hatred and contempt she shows us here. Really sad if she does. I hope she is at least more mature than that. Posts here dont really indicate that, but for the sake of our brave military men and women I hope that is the case.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    It happens on both sides, just look at the frankenstein pics of Kerry. Also Bush' campain has been mongering fear, and we all know how closely fear and hatred are related..
    Republican delegates (and cops) were physically assaulted in NYC by Kerry supporters. Bush campaign offices were ransacked and shot up. Early voters in Florida who were identifiable as Bush supporters were threatened and intimidated. Anti-Bush columnists and bloggers called for his assassination and the deaths of as many American soldiers as possible (Screw them, as Daily Kos famously said about the troops).

But hey, Frankenstein pics of Kerry are just as bad.
    Talldog
    I don't believe I ever said my way was the correct way. Further, I never said or suggested anything about voter turnout. I'm simply saying that Democrats let this one get away. Why? Because this is not Mondale v. Regan. There were (are) contentious issues on every front and there were some serious mistakes that the GOP administration has made over the past 4 years. Have they also made progress? Yes. However, their collective ideology and philosophy about foreign and domestic policy has polarized this nation more than bond it.

Of course I'm armchairing right now. But that's what every loser does - and I feel like a loser. (At least it's fair and square this time) .

This election was up in the air. I think everyone can agree on that. However, the Dems made smoe spurious choices, among them picking Edwards as a running mate. Gephardt would've locked in Ohio and others.

So is the game and 4 more years of it. We'll work together, to a certain extent; however, our ideologies will remain as disparate as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by azmike
    But you have to understand not every feels that your way is the correct way. As I understand you feel differently then my views. They all said if the voter turnout was large that the Rep would lose. Gee that didn’t happen- I wonder why? I do have to agree with you on one point. Kerry was a weak candidate and swayed when the wind blew.
    I'm about to spend over $300K on a home; they're called Co-op's in NYC
    But, I still want our gevernment to support healthcare. Why? Because it should be necessary for the goverment (to whom you pay taxes) to provide a welfare for its people. Healthcare is a component of welfare. Does this mean every person gets the SAME type of healthcare? No. One who wants the best can still get the best.

I don't want to get into policy issues here. Again, healthcare philosophy, policy and implementation can be argued ad nauseum.

Your healthclub membership is a luxury, not a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by azmike
    Why is it that people can spend $40,000 on a car or $300,000 on a home...but when it comes to paying for their own healthcare they feel that the government should help? Heck- if that's the case maybe they could pay for my very expensive car insurance. Maybe they should pay for my health club membership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog
    Republican delegates (and cops) were physically assaulted in NYC by Kerry supporters. Bush campaign offices were ransacked and shot up. Early voters in Florida who were identifiable as Bush supporters were threatened and intimidated. .
    Not to mention slashed tires. http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breakin...3049-5474r.htm (This is in the wash times, so take it with a grain of salt, but I heard it somewhere else as well.)
    I think they made a mistake by choosing Kerry. He is too far to the left, he made a lot of enemies in Nam. Michael Moore’s support was a kiss of death. He was a poor senator who seemed to make the wrong choices many times. And he swayed on too many issues with no concise answers. I thought there were a few better choices. But maybe they wanted to loose so Hillary can come into play in the next election. I also think Edwards was weak- he didn’t even carry his own state which tells you a lot. But I think Kerry was afraid to be out of the spotlight with a different vp choice. I bet Hillary is happy today don't you think?

Well as we all can wish- hopefully we have a good four years of growth, no terrorist attacks and some resolve with Iraq.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast