View Poll Results: When will we know who is elected president in the US?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just after the elections

6 26.09%
  • When the Electoral College votes

3 13.04%
  • When the courts have decided

11 47.83%
  • Don't know

3 13.04%
  1.    #1  
    Do you think it will be clear soon who is elected for president in the US?

On Tuesday or Wednesday, just after the election?

When the Supreme Court decides?
    Given that the latest polls show that Bush and Kerry are evenly split in six major states, and that legions of lawyers are ready to take the race to court if not everything is clear, this doesn't seem unlikely...

When the Electoral College votes?
    I have read that, when considering the states with clear majorities for Bush or Kerry and the swing states, there are 33 possible combinations of outcomes which result in a 269 to 269 result in elector votes... in this case, the newly elected House would pick the president from top three Electoral College vote-getters and the newly elected Senate chooses the vice president from the top two Electoral College vote-getters.

However, the electors don't have to be faithful: some states threaten penalties for "faithless electors", but no one has ever been prosecuted. So the electors could still change the result. For instance, if President Bush wins West Virginia, one of the state's five Republican electors (Richie Robb) says he might not vote for Bush to protest the president's economic and foreign policies.

So the thrill could well go on past election day...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    There is no way this election gets decided Tuesday night, and given all the Democratic Party lawyers that have already commenced lawsuits, we will be lucky to have a decision b4 new year's. I think that there is a 85% or > chance that the Supreme Court will decide the winner again. This country is split right down the middle and the fighting will get dirty and nasty. The only way I am wrong is if some traditional midwestern Democratic states go to Bush, in which case the gap will be too large for lawsuits to make a difference.
    when ever they project the winner of ohio and florida. if it is the same person, it is over.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Whenever I say so…
    That's fine, just make it snappy.
    Talldog
    I think that turnout will be huge, prompting Repub lawyers to tie up the election in the courts, regardless of who wins the other side will delay in the courts though.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Well, the Redskins lost to the Packers 28-14 yesterday, so we already know the outcome of the election:

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by work2fish
    Well, the Redskins lost to the Packers 28-14 yesterday, so we already know the outcome of the election:

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp

That means the Redskins endorse Kerry, right?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I'm figuring we'll know who wins when the 650 is released on Verizon
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Whenever I say so…
    Could you do this today so I don't have to stand in line tomorrow for about 30 mins?
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad