Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    IMO - John Stewart is right on the money about shows like Crossfire.

Tucker Carlson found out what most hecklers find out - don't try to take on a comedian. They'll make you look silly.
    Stewart needs to make up his mind. Either he is on a comedy show or a news show. You cannot try to make claims about another network's news show and then when they say the same thing to you, hide behind the name of your network. It is hypocracy of the highest order. I have no problem with him being on a comedy show (and using it as a defense), but he cannot at the same time turn around and lecture CNN on journalistic integrity.

I agree that comedians can make anyone look silly, and I regret that Stewart's comedy convinces people he is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Stewart needs to make up his mind. Either he is on a comedy show or a news show. You cannot try to make claims about another network's news show and then when they say the same thing to you, hide behind the name of your network. It is hypocracy of the highest order. I have no problem with him being on a comedy show (and using it as a defense), but he cannot at the same time turn around and lecture CNN on journalistic integrity.

I agree that comedians can make anyone look silly, and I regret that Stewart's comedy convinces people he is right.
    Big difference here, Kurt.

Crossfire is on the Cable NEWS Network and John Stewart is on the COMEDY Central Channel.

Tell me you are different than me, please. 'Cause I get my hard news from Direct TV channel 249, not channel 202. Although I am thinking of moving to channel 296 for my news.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414

Crossfire is on the Cable NEWS Network and John Stewart is on the COMEDY Central Channel.

Tell me you are different than me, please. 'Cause I get my hard news from Direct TV channel 249, not channel 202. Although I am thinking of moving to channel 296 for my news.
    Just watch 360
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Or 596....what??
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414

There is a difference here, and that's what I'm saying. To use The Daily Show as a platform to attack other shows is wrong if you simply tell those very other shows they cannot attack you because you are a comedy show.
    They can attack him, and they've tried. But his show is about ratings and being funny, Crossfire is listed as a political debate show on CNN. Would Crossfire be the same show if it was on Comedy Central?

Jon's point is that CNN is a news network and its content should not be taken likely, unlike his show on a comedy channel.

c
    There is a difference here, and that's what I'm saying. To use The Daily Show as a platform to attack other shows is wrong if you simply tell those very other shows they cannot attack you because you are a comedy show.
    He does use the Daily Show as a platform to attack other shows, and if you think that's wrong, fine.

BUT... when he is a guest on Crossfire, he is no longer acting as a comedian... he is on a "serious" news show, and he has every right to attack the show while he's on it. When politicians are guests on the Daily Show, they generally don't talk about serious politics... they have fun, and make jokes.

Same thing for a comedian on Crossfire.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Stewart is trying to be serious while hiding all his flaws behind comedy. You lose your authority to judge others when you refuse to be judged by the same criteria.
    Stewart is trying to be serious while hiding all his flaws behind comedy. You lose your authority to judge others when you refuse to be judged by the same criteria.
    But that's not the same thing. As I said, if you want to ignore his criticism of other shows that he makes on the Daily Show, that's just fine.

But when he goes on a serious political show, I wouldn't expect him to be funny. I expect him to talk about... whatever it is they or he wants to talk about. Just like I didn't take Bill O'Reilly seriously when he said on the Daily Show that was stoned when he made the stoned slackers comment.

I think he'd be willing to take criticism and be judged for the stuff he said on Crossfire - he was being serious at the time. Criticizing him for not taking politicians to task on a comedy show is something completely different, though.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    All I know is that Tucker Carlson is a dork.
    Talldog
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfan
    Criticizing him for not taking politicians to task on a comedy show is something completely different, though.
    When I expect someone to walk the walk (after talking the talk) it really doesn't matter to me what the person's occupation is. If you don't want to walk, don't talk. Or if you do talk and do not walk, at least take it like a man when someone points that out.
    When I expect someone to walk the walk (after talking the talk) it really doesn't matter to me what the person's occupation is. If you don't want to walk, don't talk. Or if you do talk and do not walk,....
    OK...is the occupation a Talking Walker or a Walking Talker? What if they have a handicap?
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    When I expect someone to walk the walk (after talking the talk) it really doesn't matter to me what the person's occupation is. If you don't want to walk, don't talk. Or if you do talk and do not walk, at least take it like a man when someone points that out.
    I still don't see what you're getting at. The Daily Show is a COMEDY show, not a NEWS show. What walk are you expecting and what talk are you talking about?

Let me try something else.

If Tucker Carlson was a guest on the Daily Show, and he complained that it sucked, would you expect a complaint that it wasn't funny or a complaint that it wasn't a good news show?

I don't care what a person's occupation is either; what matters is the venue. The Daily Show is on COMEDY Central. Crossfire is on the Cable NEWS Network.
    I wouldn't expect a complaint, but if the newscaster decides to lodge it, then he should be prepared to defend his own actions.
    I wouldn't expect a complaint, but if the newscaster decides to lodge it, then he should be prepared to defend his own actions.
    You said you didn't care about the occupation. I'm confused. And Jon Stewart isn't a newscaster, he's a comedian.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I think what everyone is forgettting is what brought on this barrage from Stweart. They were attacking him for not asking harder political questions of his subjects. He was making the point that The Daily Show IS a comedy show and not a political news show. He was simply tunring the mirror on these idiots for what they are. What, a funny guy can't be intelligent and have a political point of view ? And besides, he's right, Crossfire BLOWS !!!
    KKena, from what I saw, he insulted their show first. Something along the lines of "your show is making America a worse place."
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfan
    You said you didn't care about the occupation. I'm confused. And Jon Stewart isn't a newscaster, he's a comedian.
    What I meant was if Dan Rather went on The Daily Show and insulted the show, he should be prepared to explain why his show is better, and not hide behind a distinction he himself violated.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast