Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1.    #1  
    To be fair i personally feel that everyone should listen to both sides of a story before making judgement. I do not understand people who watched this movie and now HATE GW for no reason other than michael moore told them so. i watched it and was not impressed. to be fair, i think people that thought farenheit was awesome should watch a documentary call farenhype 9/11 (i rented it at blockbuster). it offers explination of some accounts, disproves others, and even has people that were in farenheit 9/11 saying telling you this. i watched both sides to be fair. can you?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    i watched both sides to be fair. can you?
    Nope.

    I watched neither side.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
  3. #3  
    Didn't like it. Too much sensationalism and no attempt to be thorough and fair. The style of the movie got old real quick. The short blips of music he used to emphasize his points stopped being cute after the first 10 or so times.
  4. morrie's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    #4  
    i think kerry should use the segment in his political ads where george bush is addressing a group of wealthy fundraisers all dressed up in tuxedos and he speaks to the group saying " i want to welcome you all, you are the haves and the have mores and you are my base." it would be very effective.
    morris stalk
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrie
    i think kerry should use the segment in his political ads where george bush is addressing a group of wealthy fundraisers all dressed up in tuxedos and he speaks to the group saying " i want to welcome you all, you are the haves and the have mores and you are my base." it would be very effective.
    Effective indeed!! if Kerry used this quote he would be quickly discredited.

    Like most of Moore's movie, this scene was completely out of context and misrepresented GW as making a serious statement. The event was the Al Smith dinner, hosted by Archbishop Edward Egan. Al Gore was on the speakers platform as well and both men came loaded with self depricating jokes, which this statement was and it drew a very good laugh from the audience. As most jokes try to do it underscores the ludicrous nature of the jokes premise.

    At this same event Al Gore restated that he invented the internet. If Mr. Moore were on the right instead of the left he would have made a movie that included a similar scene showing Gore making this statement for the same effect. Unfortunately, I am sure that there are just as many lemmings on the right who would take that misrepresentation as gospel.
  6. #6  
    I thought the first half of the movie was rivetting... and if he kept it entirely on the facts, and left out the cute Michael Moore stunts (interviewing congreessmen if they would let thier kids enlist etc)

    There were many more facts that he could have gone after...dissapointed after the second half of movie

    He should of done a movie about 3 1/2 years of stupidity and arrogance
  7. #7  
    what it shows is that if you are determined enough, you can protray ANYONE to appear to be the bad guy. as the above poster said very nicely, al gore's comments at that event were CURIOUSLY left out, the situation's context removed, so that moore can make naive observers think the way he wants them to think.
    you can make anyone look bad, if you collect enough material. man, if only someone had done this on clinton! what a gas that would have been!
    wtc attacks 2x ( both unanswered), somalia( the embarrasment encouraged bin laden to think the us backs out when confronted) us cole ( unanswered) oklahoma bombing ( another example of embarrassing failures in national security), waco, texas, the stock market crash of 2000, must I mention monica, and other distracting interns? etc etc.
    you can make ANYONE look like the bad guy - all you need is a fat donut swallowing slob like moore, a videocamera and nothing to lose - and you got yourself a fahrenheit 9/11. propoganda - exhibit A.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    what it shows is that if you are determined enough, you can protray ANYONE to appear to be the bad guy. as the above poster said very nicely, al gore's comments at that event were CURIOUSLY left out, the situation's context removed, so that moore can make naive observers think the way he wants them to think.
    you can make anyone look bad, if you collect enough material. man, if only someone had done this on clinton! what a gas that would have been!
    wtc attacks 2x ( both unanswered), somalia( the embarrasment encouraged bin laden to think the us backs out when confronted) us cole ( unanswered) oklahoma bombing ( another example of embarrassing failures in national security), waco, texas, the stock market crash of 2000, must I mention monica, and other distracting interns? etc etc.
    you can make ANYONE look like the bad guy - all you need is a fat donut swallowing slob like moore, a videocamera and nothing to lose - and you got yourself a fahrenheit 9/11. propoganda - exhibit A.
    i find it interesting how the timelines and comments on given subjects in a michael moore movie resemble the order of scenes in pulp fiction. you are not being told that they are out of order, but they are. it is not hard to take several comments by anybody, switch the order and context around and all of a sudden they are a bad guy.

    this week michael moore hates america is being shown at a theatre chain here in minneapolis.
  9. #9  
    bk... my thoughts exactly. With enough material ANYONE can be made to look like a fool, even the Pope.

    F9/11 is like watching a lonnng SNL skit.
    Banoo... what's that smell?
  10. #10  
    Moore's movie is one-sided and does not stand to close scrutiny. To pass the lies he does as truth, well, I guess if you hear it enough over time, it begins to take shape. Anyway, Moore's political philosophy now steers the Democratic Party and if I had not left it a bit over ten years ago, I would defintely leave it now. It is so far to the left...it no longer represents any of my values. Ben
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Anyway, Moore's political philosophy now steers the Democratic Party
    Probably as much as Rush Limbaugh steers the Republican Party.

    Both of these guys are jokes and I just wish we could put them in a room, lock the door, throw in a bunch of food and oxycontin and see what happens!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Moore's movie is one-sided and does not stand to close scrutiny. To pass the lies he does as truth, well, I guess if you hear it enough over time, it begins to take shape. Anyway, Moore's political philosophy now steers the Democratic Party and if I had not left it a bit over ten years ago, I would defintely leave it now. It is so far to the left...it no longer represents any of my values. Ben
    ol mikey is just bitter because he cost gore the election in 2000 by working for nader. GW should call mike and thank him, without those votes for nader, gore would have won.
  13. #13  
    I won't watch it because of the tone it takes. It is not a presentation of the truth, it is a presentation of one person's opinion. Moore has openly said he hopes it influences the election. Whatever this documentary is documenting, it doesn't rise to the level of "fact."

    Put the same ideas in a neutral format, and I'll gladly watch it.
  14. #14  
    The film is what it is. Moore has always been slanted and anyone familiar with his films goes in knowing that. No one can deny that the film is brilliant in it's sarcasm and also in the way Moore structures his arguments.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    The film is what it is. Moore has always been slanted and anyone familiar with his films goes in knowing that. No one can deny that the film is brilliant in it's sarcasm and also in the way Moore structures his arguments.
    my issue is that not everyone knows you are only seeing the extreme story of one side. he does a good job with flow, but i would hardly call it a docmentary. what i do not like is he is creating even more bush haters that have no clue what the truth really is. if you know both sides and still do not like bush, i have no problem with that. but if you hate bush only because you saw one movie like F 9/11, you need to look at both sides of the story.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    No one can deny that the film is brilliant in it's sarcasm and also in the way Moore structures his arguments.
    I'll deny it. It got boring. It's not brilliant to be boring.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    The film is what it is. Moore has always been slanted and anyone familiar with his films goes in knowing that. No one can deny that the film is brilliant in it's sarcasm and also in the way Moore structures his arguments.
    It takes no brilliance to argue a point when you have no one to keep you honest, complete control over the medium used, and unlimited time to structure your argument.

    Moore is "Brilliant" in his ability to make low, low budget movies that put millions of dollars in his pocket.
  18. #18  
    personally, I thought that the parts of the movie were true, were almost as funny as the parts that weren't. I enjoyed it quite a bit. And if it portrays Bush in a way that you don't like, too bad. It is funny, thats all I can say.
  19. #19  
    I'd like to watch Barbara Bush in a room alone with Moore for ten minutes. She’d have him in tears and crying like the little whiner he is in less than three.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  20. #20  
    Hey Claire, I just got back from visiting Boulder the past few days. It was beautiful except the last day yesterday. Great town!

    Anyway getting back to your thread, I do not think Barbara is as bossy as the phone sex guy and Moore held up pretty well with him, at least I thought so.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions