Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 98
  1. #41  
    right on the money, clairegirl. nice.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    GW had a great night! He took the same positions I would’ve if I were running. I was pleased to see a politician take a stance on some of the most difficult issues in America today. Saying what he truly believes instead what is popular.
    Partial birth abortion
    Iraq.
    Korea
    Iran
    Taxes
    The world today
    Stem cell research
    Supreme court


    The GOP is back with a leader of integrety!
    Here's how I see Bush on these issues:

    partial birth abortion: if it endangers the life of the mother - let her die and protect the fetus?

    Korea and Iran: I'm too preoccupied with Iraq to do much about them, and they know it.

    taxes: my policies ran up the biggest deficit in history and I have no idea how to stop it.

    the world today: does not respect me as a world leader

    stem cell research: I am ignoring Nancy Reagan (and science)

    Supreme Court: I want to appoint more idealogues like Scalia and Thomas
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 10/10/2004 at 03:39 PM.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Here's how I see Bush on these issues:

    partial birth abortion: if it endangers the life of the mother - let her die and protect the fetus?
    Please show us a case where the woman's life was saved by aborting her baby in the last two months of her term.

    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Korea and Iran: I'm too preoccupied with Iraq to do much about them, and they know it.
    Just because you havent heard about it in the media does not make it fact that Bush is not doing anything regarding these two. Not saying he is, but there is no proof that you have provided to the contrary.

    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    taxes: my policies ran up the biggest deficit in history and I have no idea how to stop it.
    I have to bring up Kerry's mention of a multitrillion dollar surplus. If our government had a trillion dollar surplus in its budget, why am I paying any taxes at all? It's funny, one week it's we balanced the budget and then it's we did it so well we have trillions left over. If there are trillions of dollars in surplus, make my health insurance payments for me eh? It is afterall my money.

    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    the world today: does not respect me as a world leader
    No one is respected by all the people all the time. Do your friends respect you for standing up for your beliefs and being unpopular or for kissing everyones *** so they all like you?

    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    stem cell research: I am ignoring Nancy Reagan (and science)
    as brought up by a questioner at the lat debate, why are fetal stem cells so much better and deserving of govt funding (adding to the deficit) when they havent cured anything. They talk of the 'promise' of this research. Umbilical cord cells and adult stem cells have as much and are not controversially linked to unborn children. Not to mention the reseearch can be privetely funded without issue. (ome people think the government should pay for everything) And no disrespect to Mrs. Reagan, but since when does she dictate government policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Supreme Court: I want to appoint more idealogues like Scalia and Thomas
    I want more idealogues like Ginsberg.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  4. #44  
    If you want to pay more taxes, then by all means go for Kerry. And no where in my reading have I ever found any mention of a woman's life being saved due to a late-term or partial-birth abortion. It's crap and nothing more.

    The Supreme Court needs justices that intrepet the law, not make it.

    Ben
  5. #45  
    I will repeat something I posted in the religion thread here: fetal stem cell research does not involve abortion. The fetus is created in a lab and never develops beyond a few hundred cells. Now I'm not sure where the ethical status of that fetus lies, but abortion isn't involved.
    Animo et Fide
  6. #46  
    Before you jump to conclusions read this. and have a great
    day! Have you seen the John Kerry commercial in which George Bush pledges to help Seniors on Medicare and "the very next day imposes a 17% premium increase - the biggest in history"? That ad is a stroke of genius on Kerry's part and will surely gain him many votes among the uninformed.
    ++++
    As it turns out the 17% increase was not imposed by President Bush but was mandated by the "balanced budget agreement" signed by President Clinton, voted into law by Senator John Kerry, and was scheduled to come into effect during the ! Bush administration. President Bush had no authority to reverse what had been voted into law by Senator Kerry during the Clinton administration.
    ++++++
    Once again Kerry is counting on the ignorance of the American
    people. Don't be duped by his mendacity.
    ++++
    Please keep it going !!!
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    They talk of the 'promise' of this research. Umbilical cord cells and adult stem cells have as much and are not controversially linked to unborn children.
    Woof, you should know that adult stem cells do not have the same potential, they only can grow into limited types of tissue. This is where we have politicians trying to be scientists or actually ignore scientists.

    Here is the real story from the highly regarded science journal Nature:

    http://www.nature.com/news/2004/0409...040913-11.html

    and from Stanford University:

    http://mednews.stanford.edu/stanmed/...stem-main.html

    I offer this to everyone to read and inform yourselves about the issue.
  8. #48  
    Here's a bit more from a different source:

    Have you seen the John Kerry commercial in which George Bush pledges to
    help Seniors on Medicare and "the very next day imposes a 17% premium
    increase - the biggest in history"? That ad is a stoke of genius on Kerry's part and will surely gain him many votes among the uninformed

    It was found to be so amazing that someone did some homework on the
    issue. As it turns out the 17% increase was not imposed by President Bush but was mandated by the "balanced budget agreement" signed by President
    Clinton, voted into law by Senator John Kerry, and was scheduled to come into effect during the Bush administration. President Bush had no authority to
    reverse what had been voted into law by Senator Kerry during the Clinton
    administration.

    Once again Kerry is counting on the ignorance of the American people.
    Don't be duped by his mendacity.

    -----------




    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    Before you jump to conclusions read this. and have a great
    day! Have you seen the John Kerry commercial in which George Bush pledges to help Seniors on Medicare and "the very next day imposes a 17% premium increase - the biggest in history"? That ad is a stroke of genius on Kerry's part and will surely gain him many votes among the uninformed.
    ++++
    As it turns out the 17% increase was not imposed by President Bush but was mandated by the "balanced budget agreement" signed by President Clinton, voted into law by Senator John Kerry, and was scheduled to come into effect during the ! Bush administration. President Bush had no authority to reverse what had been voted into law by Senator Kerry during the Clinton administration.
    ++++++
    Once again Kerry is counting on the ignorance of the American
    people. Don't be duped by his mendacity.
    ++++
    Please keep it going !!!
  9. #49  
    Peter, there is a bit of confusion you seem to be having. Take a read of the following - http://www.str.org/free/bioethics/stemcell.pdf

    Your statement that it does not involve abortion is way out of line. Way out. The killing of an embryo/fetus is abortion and in that context, is nothing short of murder.

    Ben

    ------------

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    I will repeat something I posted in the religion thread here: fetal stem cell research does not involve abortion. The fetus is created in a lab and never develops beyond a few hundred cells. Now I'm not sure where the ethical status of that fetus lies, but abortion isn't involved.
  10. #50  
    are you starting to get what I mean about kerry's "weapons of mass deceptions?"

    his elocutions are quite convincing aren't they? until you do some research on this master of the spoken word, and suddenly you begin to think, "wait a minute. is this lawyer really for the middle class, or does he set things up for the republicans to look bad on and blame them for the very things he voted on?

    I don't know, folks, sounds like an awfully slippery, sneaky individual to me. sounds great, but what does your gut tell you?
    Last edited by treobk214; 10/11/2004 at 12:36 AM.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Your statement that it does not involve abortion is way out of line. Way out.-
    This talk of abortions being performed to support stem cell research, its just plain wrong.

    Infertility clinics are going to be discarding frozen cells anyway, using them before they are discarded would not result in any additional harm, period.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 10/10/2004 at 09:37 PM.
  12. #52  
    Woof, (and Clinger, and Treoblk), I admire your collective chutzpah, but I disagree with so much of what you say.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Just because you havent heard about it in the media does not make it fact that Bush is not doing anything regarding these two. Not saying he is, but there is no proof that you have provided to the contrary.
    well if they have done something, it is pretty pathetic! North Korea has become a major nuclear threat under Bush's watch. You say we should not let other countries dictate our foreign policy, well Bush has put China in the position of approving or disapproving North Korea in the nuclear talks. I mean trusting China to help us, that is really really stupid. And Iran is going to be nuclear real soon, what has Bush done about that, nothing, he is too focused on Iraq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I have to bring up Kerry's mention of a multitrillion dollar surplus. If our government had a trillion dollar surplus in its budget, why am I paying any taxes at all? It's funny, one week it's we balanced the budget and then it's we did it so well we have trillions left over. If there are trillions of dollars in surplus, make my health insurance payments for me eh? It is afterall my money.
    We had a huge surplus before Bush took office, and now we are so much in debt its not funny. Its sad really. And you cant just say on one side of your mouth the debt is due to a bad recession, and then say it was one of the shortest recessions in our history. Thats hypocritical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    No one is respected by all the people all the time. Do your friends respect you for standing up for your beliefs and being unpopular or for kissing everyones *** so they all like you?
    no, can you imagine from the tone of my message that this is my philosophy? of course I realize this is not yours either
    But leaders find a way to take an opponent and make them work with you, towards your ends. I do not see Bush as ever being able to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    as brought up by a questioner at the lat debate, why are fetal stem cells so much better and deserving of govt funding (adding to the deficit) when they havent cured anything. They talk of the 'promise' of this research. Umbilical cord cells and adult stem cells have as much and are not controversially linked to unborn children. Not to mention the reseearch can be privetely funded without issue. (ome people think the government should pay for everything)
    see my other response for the reason why adult stem cells are not the same, and as far as leaving biomedical research funding to the private sector......... you know my views on this and I will just leave it at that.
  13. #53  
    James Lileks in the Star Tribune said on Oct. 10, 2004 that 'one could certainly believe this might work, but the truth is often more complex, for good or ill.' "

    this goes for both sides - repub AND democrat!!!
  14. #54  
    cellmatrix, I know you disagree with what we say. nothing wrong with that.

    but I just worry when I see the accusations of bush by kerry when some of those problems were brought about or voted for or put in place by kerry himself.

    doesn't that strike you as disingeniuous? a little frightening? if he didn't do these things, well than I might have to consider him as a qualified candidate. but when I see these HUGE dishonest qualities about kerry, I can't help but worry
  15. #55  
    Kerry's Newly released rap video

    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/bommer/Jo...Bad%20Rap.html

    Takes about 30 sec to load with broadband
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Kerry's Newly released rap video

    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/bommer/Jo...Bad%20Rap.html

    Takes about 30 sec to load with broadband
    Awesome thanks Clairegrrl !
  17. #57  
    http://www.townhall.com/columnists/G...20041011.shtml
    title : WHAT DEMOCRATS STILL DONT GET.

    "John Kerry was still touting UN sanctions as a viable way to contain Saddam, despite everything we have already learned about the oil for food pay-offs to foreign interests (in both France and Russia). Liberals believe that our responsibilities can be shoved onto the backs of other countries that have made it abundantly clear have no intention of helping us."



    i think it is a very compelling article. what else more can you say here to convince people that john kerry`s vision just isnt going to work in the world we live in today? it`d be wonderful if the whole world operated with and cooperated with countries who were sophisticated, intelligent, discriminating and benevolent. this is not the world we live in, so this is why the liberal point of view has so many problems. im sorry to throw around labels here, but i strongly believe this is just the hard, plain truth. you can rebut me for this, but i think this is just how it is.

    we cant afford to naively think kerry and his european un plans are going to work for the us. they will not. at best they will slow us down, but make no mistake, they have hardly the intentions of helping america. do you want to look at the world through rose-colored glasses? or do you reach for the real perscription lenses? i hope to god we choose wisely.
    Last edited by treobk214; 10/11/2004 at 12:48 AM.
  18. #58  
    Ben, by most people's definition abortion involves killing a viable fetus that is inside the womb and means the abortion of a pregnancy. You can argue about whether stopping an artificially created fetus from developing is murder or not but it clearly doesn't involve pregnancy and therefore cannot be abortion.
    Edit: From reading the link you provided (I couldn't earlier on my Treo) it seems that in the US aborted fetuses are being included in the argument. This isn't the case in the UK, and I don't know to what extent it is true in the US.
    Also in response to that article, adult stem cells are better than first thought, but they don't exist in anything like the quantities in an embryo, and they still don't have all the potential.


    I'm not entirely comfortable with it myself, it's a complex issue and the part I'm not comfortable with is creating life and stopping it at our own will. The fetuses created are stopped in their development a lot sooner than many babies are aborted naturally by the body. Whether we should have that level of control over life is a big issue, let's not cloud it by using the term abortion.
    Last edited by PeterBrown; 10/11/2004 at 04:01 AM.
    Animo et Fide
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    http://www.townhall.com/columnists/G...20041011.shtml
    title : WHAT DEMOCRATS STILL DONT GET.

    "John Kerry was still touting UN sanctions as a viable way to contain Saddam, despite everything we have already learned about the oil for food pay-offs to foreign interests (in both France and Russia). Liberals believe that our responsibilities can be shoved onto the backs of other countries that have made it abundantly clear have no intention of helping us."
    You mean the sanctions that had stopped and were stopping him from obtaining WMD? The ones that were working, at least in that sense?
    Animo et Fide
  20. #60  
    Cellmatrix,

    If a woman is 8 months pregnant and the pregnancy is endangering her life, instead of advocating pulling the baby out up to its neck, sticking scissors in its skull and sucking the brains out, why not just pull another 6 inches and have the baby given up for adoption. Why is partial birth abortion controversial? I hope the controversy stems from ignorance because the alternative is unthinkable.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions