Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love Firefox. It's nice to have a new browser after years of stagnation from Redmond.

I know tabs are a simple addition and hardly seem worth changing browsers over, but I would have changed for the tabs alone--and there's so much more to Firefox.

What frustrates me about using Firefox is all the Web pages I have to open in IE. I know it's not Firefox's fault, but I hate the inconvenience.

I hate doing it, but I might just switch back to IE. What's the point of using a browser if it doesn't work universally?
  2.    #2  
    Security is another reason I got it. It's a great browser, but try clicking an email address in Firefox and the browser itself will launch ie.

There's talk in the Firefox messege boards about creating an 'extension,' to link you to Yahoo mail, but I haven't seen one yet.

But a Mac? I'd love to, but they get so little respect from some software firms.
    The problem does not lay within FireFox. It's the Web Designers (so they call themselves) who think IE is the "be all, end all" of browsers.

Keep FireFox in the meantime and try this extension:

IE View 0.82
    Unfortunatly .html as a standard is simply anything but. As to web designers, it's hard to deny the market share that IE controls. For myself, I have a website. I spent many days trying to make it as compliant with as many browsers as possible. I finally came to the realization that if I didn't serve different versions of the same page to each different browser, there was NO WAY that standard compliant code would display the same on all browsers.
    Avatars.... <hrumpphh> I guess, since all the cool kids are doing it.
    Firefox is a beautifully designed program. As you all said it works so much like IE until you launch an email link. I'll have to try the extension though
    "I have to return some videotapes."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    The problem does not lay within FireFox. It's the Web Designers (so they call themselves) who think IE is the "be all, end all" of browsers.

Keep FireFox in the meantime and try this extension:

IE View 0.82
    Yup! Already use it. Couldn't live without it, actually.

Anyone else out there who has Firefox should add this little baby. It won't solve incompatibility problems, but it'll make it easier to load incompatible pages in ie.
    BTW, here's a list of FF extentions I couldn't live without:

googlebar
    ieview
    Adblock
    Close Tab On Double Click
    Duplicate Tab
    Tabbrowser Preferences
    FLST
    Download Statusbar
    Well, basically I have had few problems with using Firefox as my browser. I only run across a site every couple of weeks or so which requires IE. Sometimes I even think somehing is bad on Firefox, and then just realize it is a bad site when I open it in IE and see almost the same thing.

I run the AdBlock extension, so those few problems with sites not showing up correctly in Firefox are all worth it! Imagine being able to remove banner ads from sites and having no popups. Utopia!

And Firefox keeps getting better...

-Sim
    &nbsp;
    NoisyGecko
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    Those are great. I just installed the ones I don't have. Duplicate Tab is going to be very helpful. Once I restart Firefox I'll get to use them.
    Here's a comprehensive set of filters to import into Adblock that work beautifully across the web:
    Attached Files Attached Files
  11.    #11  
    thanks. guess I'll reinstall that program. I used to use it, but never had the patience to tell it which ads to block.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    My Firefox extensions

... and of course, AdBlock. I can't imagine surfing without it, especially during those times when I have to switch to my "dial-up" connection.

You might also find this an interesting link...

I've used Tabbrowser Extensions (TBE) extensively in its earlier versions with Mozilla but later versions started to have the most annoying bugs.

One, certain pop-ups (that I wanted opened) or external links that open in a new window, the new window could not be scrolled through nor closed! If you closed the main browser with the upper-right close icon, these secondary windows would remain open. Had to choose File/Exit in the main window to get them all to close (or Task Manager, Kill process).

Two, TBE had an option to auto-save whatever tabs you had open before exiting. In the last version I was using, this not only did NOT work, whenever Moz was re-opened, TBE would prompt with message saying 'Mozilla had closed errorneously, do you want to restore previous tabs?' Even if you choose OK, still didn't work.

It's funny, the developer even says on his website, "This extension sometimes causes [crashes] when you show popup menus, load webpages, or operate tabs, because it intrudes into operations about loading pages, showing popups, add/remove tabs, etc. Please don't use it if you would like to use [a] stable browser."

Despite all of that, TBE is and remains my favorite extension - although I don't use it anymore!
    Last edited by Azazello; 03/12/2005 at 02:24 AM.
    Treo knowledge base (FAQs)

Treo Hater's Club

Treo 600 (GSM)--> MDA Vario (HTC Wizard)
    You're talking about Tabbrowser Extensions (TBE), not Tabbrowser Preferences

It's a little more stable, isn't as much of a memory hog, but doesn't have all the functionality of TBE.

Try Maxthon if you don't want to leave the IE camp for display reason. It wraps the IE engine in a myriad of phenomenal features (many of which are available on most other browsers). I tend to find a new one every day. My current favorite is hitting F4 to open a new tab to Google. If I type Alt-D (to get to the address bar) ym <enter> it goes to my Yahoo Mail. The list goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    It sounds old, but: Buy a Mac. Nothin' beats "Safari."
    (Actually, according to Walt Mossberg, Firefox is a much better alternative to IE -- for Windows PCs -- for security and viruses reasons.)
    Buy a Mac? why do that when I can run OS X on my PC? hehehe

PearPC

It's wicked slow right now, but it's pretty damn cool. I cannot wait to freak out a Mac person when I show them OS X running on an IBM Thinkpad! hehe

Timmay
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Here's a fovorite of mine since I actually use flashget, makes downloading so much better.

Flashgot
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    You're talking about Tabbrowser Extensions (TBE), not Tabbrowser Preferences

It's a little more stable, isn't as much of a memory hog, but doesn't have all the functionality of TBE.
    I didn't know about Tabbrowser Preferences (TBP). Thanks. I'm gonna check it out.
    any one use tab effect? its gave me a headache.

How about colorful tabs?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I love colorful tabs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast