1.    #1  
    Am I the only person who does not understand why the President gets so much credit and/or blame for the economy/deficit, when it is the Congress that establishes the budget and authorizes spending?

It amazes me to hear Presidential candidates say things like, "if you (re)elect me, I will......" As if there is but one branch to the federal government structure.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Am I the only person who does not understand why the President gets so much credit and/or blame for the economy/deficit, when it is the Congress that establishes the budget and authorizes spending?
    I guess because most people consider the president to be the CEO.
    Talldog

It amazes me to hear Presidential candidates say things like, "if you (re)elect me, I will......" As if there is but one branch to the federal government structure.
    While we may do so emotionally, intellectually we use the personna of the candidates as surrogates, not to say scapegoats, for our political judgments and opinions.

thats a great point.
    As CEO, he has the power of appointments in key functions of the administration... and although he does not make laws, he does direct the implementation of those laws, as well as gathers the information needed for the congress to pass laws.

In supplying congress information aka State of the Union, he is also head cheerleader (ironic since he was on the cheerleading team in hs). As an elected leader, he is expected to perform theses functions in conjunction with the congress...

An just as when a company is not performing well, we (the board of directors if you will) need a mangagement shakeup to get the organization moving forward again.

It's time for this CEO to leave "to pursue other interests"
    Call the movers now and beat the holiday rush...
    Quote Originally Posted by TrySpammingMe
    An just as when a company is not performing well, we (the board of directors if you will) need a mangagement shakeup to get the organization moving forward again.
    And to do that, you will need the majority of shareholders, which you may not have. If you fail to make the necessary management changes, you can always sell your stock and move to france
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Thats why there are major debates in this and other forums before the proxies are voted on....
    And it may not matter anyhow,
    since the majority bondholders (the Saudis) hold all the cards anyway.
    The president sends his budget to congress, which forms the basis of the one ultimately approved. He also has veto power over the final budget. And, everyone votes for the office.
    The one who wins this time around will have a voice for many years to come. We have several Supreme Court Justices who are over the age of 65, and appointments (a few perhaps) are likely to take place this coming term. That alone is reason enough for me to consider this an important election.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The president sends his budget to congress, which forms the basis of the one ultimately approved. He also has veto power over the final budget. And, everyone votes for the office.
    Good points.

KRamsauer for President!
    Finally, someone who thinks like me! ;-)
    Not to mention the Prez is a Repub and BOTH the House and the Senate are majority Repub AND the prez has veto power. That's pretty powerful ****e.