Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    She's also a radical feminist. She hardly reflects the views of the average American woman. (Do we really want to get into a discussion about the feminist movement? )
    Jeez, I sure don't want to get into a discussion about the feminist movement , but she IS respected in the Democratic party on issues involving the sexes.
    Talldog
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog
    Jeez, I sure don't want to get into a discussion about the feminist movement , but she IS respected in the Democratic party on issues involving the sexes.
    Wolfe has written several books that are interesting on a sociological level ("The Beauty Myth" being one of them), but even women who consider themselves liberal will tell you that they identify very little with the radical feminists out there. I won't deny that thanks to that movement's early activism, I likely wouldn't have been afforded the opportunities that I have, but the feminist movement jumped the shark years ago, IMO.
    She hardly reflects the views of the average American woman.
    so what else did your polling of the average American woman reveal?
    Quote Originally Posted by webslappy
    so what else did your polling of the average American woman reveal?
    I would venture to guess that many women have no clue who
    Naomi Wolfe even IS.
    Naomi Wolfe even IS.
    knowing who someone is and holding the same opinion are two different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by webslappy
    knowing who someone is and holding the same opinion are two different things.
    Most of the women I know feel that the radical intellectual feminists have no clue about the life of the average American woman. The Feminist movement lost touch with the average woman in America years ago, IMO. Many women I know feel the movement has done more to hurt them than help them in recent years.

(see, now you got me started! )
    Naomi Wolfe even IS.
    Well livin' in a trailer and watchin' Jerry Springer, raisin' 5 kids to be good Republicans doesnt leave much time for readin'. 'Cept People Magazine
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Well livin' in a trailer and watchin' Jerry Springer, raisin' 5 kids to be good Republicans doesnt leave much time for readin'. 'Cept People Magazine
    you must have one of those double-wides if you're reading People
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    ...but the feminist movement jumped the shark years ago, IMO.
    Well said.

Frankly, I don't agree with much of what Wolfe has ever had to say, but she's always been an interesting and provocative read.
    Talldog
    peter, granted, 9/11 changed everyone's perspectives, but this does not change the fact that kerry failed to recognize and support the proper mode of action towards hussein whom the rest of the world agreed needed to be confronted as a result of invading kuwait.

it shows that he doesn't show the ability to come to the correct positions on obvious dilemmas.

it should think it wouldn't take 9/11 to see that the gassing of his own people and a tyrannical invasion of kuwait was wrong and validated a multilateral front to set this part of the world straight.

he voted against that war, so I guess he wouldn't have found fault with leaving a pirate to plunder a neighboring nation and proceed torturing the people there. I suppose his thinking led him to believe such a tyrant in power over there posed no real threat in the long run to the rest of the world, hmm?

it astounds me to continually hear apologies or explanations for such blatantly bad calls by john kerry.

how can you feel confident that 9/11 changed his perspective sufficiently enough when he could not come to the correct conclusion on such an obvious and "Popularly" agreed upon problem as saddam's invasion of kuwait?!

absolutely baffling. I don't know how such a man could inspire confidence with that kind of history.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    how can you feel confident that 9/11 changed his perspective sufficiently enough when he could not come to the correct conclusion on such an obvious and "Popularly" agreed upon problem as saddam's invasion of kuwait?!

absolutely baffling. I don't know how such a man could inspire confidence with that kind of history.
    Not to mention the hipocracy of trying to make us all "believe" he will build global agreement for Iraq type policy before taking unilateral action (which France and Germany will continue to prove is impossible w/the UN) -- but stating that we should abandon global agreement in N. Korea [China, Japan, et al] and enter into bi-lateral talks.

What??
    KitMoni
    bingo!
    Its good.....oh no! .....its bad

Clinton awards Halliburton no-bid contract in Yugoslavia - good...
    Bush awards Halliburton no-bid contract in Iraq - bad...

Clinton spends 77 billion on war in Serbia - good...
    Bush spends 87 billion in Iraq - bad...

Clinton imposes regime change in Serbia - good...
    Bush imposes regime change in Iraq - bad...

Clinton bombs Christian Serbs on behalf of Muslim Albanian terrorists - good...
    Bush liberates 25 million from a genocidal dictator - bad...

Clinton bombs Chinese embassy - good...
    Bush bombs terrorist camps - bad...

Clinton commits felonies while in office - good...
    Bush lands on aircraft carrier in jumpsuit - bad...

No mass graves found in Serbia - good...
    Many mass graves found in Iraq - bad...

Stock market crashes in 2000 under Clinton - good...
    Economy on upswing under Bush - bad...

Clinton refuses to take custody of Bin Laden - good...
    World Trade Centers fall under Bush - bad...

Clinton says Saddam has nukes - good...
    Bush says Saddam has nukes - bad...

Clinton calls for regime change in Iraq - good...
    Bush imposes regime change in Iraq - bad...

Terrorist training in Afghanistan under Clinton - good...
    Bush destroys training camps in Afghanistan - bad...

Milosevic not yet convicted - good...
    Saddam turned over for trial - bad...

Ahh, it's all so confusing!

Every year an independent tax watchdog group analyzes the average tax burden on Americans, and then calculates the Tax Freedom Day. This is the day after which the money you earn goes to you, not the government. This year, tax freedom day was April 11th. That's the earliest it has been since 1991.

Its latest day ever was May 2nd, which occurred in 2000. Notice anything special about those dates?

John Kerry claims that Americans are actually paying more taxes under Bush, despite the tax cuts. Interestingly, both George Bush and John Kerry are wealthy men. Bush owns only one home, his ranch in Texas. Kerry owns 4 mansions, all worth several million dollars. (His ski resort home in Idaho is an
    old barn brought over from Europe in pieces. Not your average A-frame).

Bush paid $250,000 in taxes this year; Kerry paid $90,000. Does that sound right? The man who wants to raise your taxes obviously has figured out a way to avoid paying his own.
    KitMoni
    you've got it, kitmoni! that's an interesting little anecdote isn't it?

its truly amazing how double standards play themselves out in the world of politics. truly amazing.
    Haven't we seen that before?
    Animo et Fide
    I post this with a great deal of trepidation because I don't want to wade in these waters....too deep for a person as anti-political as I. However I was sent the link and thought people would be interested in what it has to say.

I DO NOT pretend that this is true or correct, accurate or fair. In fact I am sure some/most/all of it is not true/correct or fair. I only put it out there for discussion...I hadn't seen this before.

>>>ducking back into my cave and rolling the rock over opening.....<<<<

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributor...23_resume.html
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    yes. but the heart of the matter comes down to what we were referring to earlier.

9/11's effect on changing people's views doesn't excuse the poor position taken by mr kerry on the gulf war. that was an obvious global problem. such a situation lends you little to debate about. there was clearly only one way to go there, and on a problem that was about as big as it gets in the world, kerry bungled it.

I don't know. its pretty tough to convince one that kerry has the piloting skills for this job. he hasn't shown the clarity of vision you'd think he'd need for the job
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Haven't we seen that before?
    Some things are worth repeating. Dont you thing so praying mantis??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    in refence to acdriver's post.
    if this war was bush's war for re-election, why did the democrats vote FOR it, then?

if kerry is all for multilateral support when we go to war, why did he vote AGAINST such a war when that very multilateral support was in place?

they say the republicans run a campaign on fear. don't you think the massacre of 3000 - that's 3000 innocent people warrants a strong case?

did the murder of 3000 instead call for a more "sensitive" relationship with our enemies? would that communicate to them that we are a strong nation? or would that instead tell them we are weak, especially since their style of negotiations involve BEHEADINGS! do you think sensitivity would engender progress with these people?

I think kerry would be eaten alive if he was in office.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    in refence to acdriver's post.
    if this war was bush's war for re-election, why did the democrats vote FOR it, then?
    Democrats (and Kerry) voted in support of the war based on WRONG intelligence gathering and misinformation on Iraq. Dr. Condoleezza Rice admitted the misinformation she had regarding the aluminum tubing prior to the war.
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    -Michael Pritchard
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast