Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 137
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog
    Show some evidence of administration officials claiming that Iraq was involved in 9/11, as opposed to Iraq being involved with Al-Qaeda.
    Cheney described Iraq as the "geographic base of the terrorists" and "the place where we want to take on those elements that have come against the United States." Cheney spoke on NBC's "Meet the Press"

    Cheney (Sept. 14, 2003): If weíre successful in Iraq, if we can stand up a good representative government in Iraq, that secures the region so that it never again becomes a threat to its neighbors or to the United States, so itís not pursuing weapons of mass destruction, so that itís not a safe haven for terrorists, now we will have struck a major blow right at the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11 . . .

    So what we do on the ground in Iraq, our capabilities here are being tested in no small measure, but this is the place where we want to take on the terrorists. This is the place where we want to take on those elements that have come against the United States, and itís far more appropriate for us to do it there and far better for us to do it there than it is here at home.

    Quote taken from factcheck.org
    Animo et Fide
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog
    Edwards said that the administration is claiming ties between Iraq and 9/11, and Cheney specifically stated that Iraq + 9/11 = NO, Iraq + Al-Qaeda = YES.
    Al-Qaeda = 9/11.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by webslappy
    It's actually a pretty interesting site but it only confirmed what I've always thought about politicians...they never let the facts get in the way of a good story (sound bite)
    Come on slappy...I said that yesterday in Teacher kicked out of school after hanging a picture of President Bush at 10:12am post# 14
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Come on slappy...I said that yesterday in Teacher kicked out of school after hanging a picture of President Bush at 10:12am post# 14
    cg - i have most of your posts committed to memory but I must have missed that one.
  5. #25  
    Slappy...you are too cute.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  6. #26  
    What I was saying is that Cheney was using factcheck, in his debate to help him make a misleading point about Halliburton, and factcheck promptly responded today, saying that Cheney was misrepresenting what they said:

    http://factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=272

    Factcheck: Cheney got our domain name wrong -- calling us "FactCheck.com" -- and wrongly implied that we had rebutted allegations Edwards was making about what Cheney had done as chief executive officer of Halliburton. In fact, we*did post an*article pointing out that Cheney hasn't profited personally while in office*from*Halliburton's Iraq contracts, as falsely implied by a Kerry TV ad. But Edwards*was talking about Cheney's responsibility for earlier Halliburton troubles. And in fact, Edwards was mostly right.

    OK, is this clear now or what?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by webslappy
    actually factcheck is a bi-partisan site that checks into the statements that the candidates make. Cheney said that factcheck supported his tenure at Haliburton, when in reality, they only refute some of Kerry\Edward charges about Haliburton, not all of them.
    No, web slappy you are spinning out of control here.

    Its the other way around:

    Cheney was using factcheck, in his debate to help him make a misleading point about Halliburton, and factcheck promptly responded today, saying that Cheney was misrepresenting what they said:

    http://factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=272

    Here is what they said:

    Factcheck: Cheney got our domain name wrong -- calling us "FactCheck.com" -- and wrongly implied that we had rebutted allegations Edwards was making about what Cheney had done as chief executive officer of Halliburton. In fact, we*did post an*article pointing out that Cheney hasn't profited personally while in office*from*Halliburton's Iraq contracts, as falsely implied by a Kerry TV ad. But Edwards*was talking about Cheney's responsibility for earlier Halliburton troubles. And in fact, Edwards was mostly right.

    OK, is this clear now or what?
  8. Talldog's Avatar
    Posts
    157 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Cheney described Iraq as the "geographic base of the terrorists" and "the place where we want to take on those elements that have come against the United States." Cheney spoke on NBC's "Meet the Press"

    Cheney (Sept. 14, 2003): If we’re successful in Iraq, if we can stand up a good representative government in Iraq, that secures the region so that it never again becomes a threat to its neighbors or to the United States, so it’s not pursuing weapons of mass destruction, so that it’s not a safe haven for terrorists, now we will have struck a major blow right at the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11 . . .

    So what we do on the ground in Iraq, our capabilities here are being tested in no small measure, but this is the place where we want to take on the terrorists. This is the place where we want to take on those elements that have come against the United States, and it’s far more appropriate for us to do it there and far better for us to do it there than it is here at home.

    Quote taken from factcheck.org
    Here's a link to the entire transcript of that Meet The Press interview, rather than just a cherrypicked rambling quote:

    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3080244/

    And Russert specifically asked about Iraq and 9/11 "But is there a connection?" and Cheney replied "We don't know". That would be a defensible answer today, and it certainly was the responsible answer over a year ago.
    Talldog
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    No, web slappy you are spinning out of control here.
    Cell...didnt you like it when Cheney "B" itch slapped your guy? Sorry Slappy I mean not once but twice.

    Like when Edwards kept saying how bogus the coalition was by claiming that the U.S. is bearing 90% of the expense and suffering 90% of the casualties, and then said that our most important ally in Iraq was the Iraqis, and that by not including the Iraqis' casualties in his numbers, he was trying to claim that almost all the casualties are American. So much for how he is gonna build the coalition.

    Then when Cheney criticized Edwards' record as a Senator, saying he missed 70% of the meetings of the Intelligence Committee, of which he was a member, and that his home-town paper had called him "Senator Gone." That was good. But the best part was when Cheney said that despite the fact that as Vice-President he presides over the Senate, he had never met Edwards until he walked onto the stage tonight.

    I think you would be hard pressed to say that Edwards looked anything but silly.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Another funny thing:

    Factcheck.org is letting it be known that Cheney misprepresented them last night.

    http://factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=272

    For a while, even Faux News had the wrong link on their website. The most hilarious thing is that the erroneous site redirects to George Soros' website!

    "Cheney said that the allegations are false and directed voters to read the truth about Halliburton at FactCheck.com; although he probably meant FactCheck.org, a project of the University of Pennsylvania that independently evaluates politicians' claims. Ironically, FactCheck.com forwards visitors to the Web site of left-leaning billionaire and Bush administration critic George Soros."

    Even funnier, when you go to http://www.factcheck.org/
    it just talks about how the bush campaign is lying about kerry and twisting kerry's words around.

    - Bush Mischaracterizes Kerry's Health Plan
    - Bush Ad Twists Kerry's Words on Iraq
    - GOP Website Uses Misleading Kerry Quote On Abortion

    You can't help but laugh at this kind of self ownage.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    But the best part was when Cheney said that despite the fact that as Vice-President he presides over the Senate, he had never met Edwards until he walked onto the stage tonight.
    This one was funny, but, as it turns out, it was a lie:

    http://factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=272

    "Cheney claimed Edwards has such a poor attendance record in the Senate that he was just meeting Edwards for the first time during the debate, even though Cheney visits the Senate every Tuesday. But the Kerry-Edwards campaign quickly documented at least two instances in which Cheney had met Edwards previously. Edwards escorted Elizabeth Dole when she was sworn in as North Carolina's other senator on January 8, 2003, according to Gannet News Service. Cheney administered the oath.

    Cheney also was present with Edwards at a National Prayer Breakfast on Feb. 1, 2001, when a transcript shows Cheney acknowledged Edwards among those at the gathering:

    Cheney: (Feb. 1, 2001): Thank you. Thank you very much. Congressman Watts, Senator Edwards, friends from across America and distinguished visitors to our country from all over the world, Lynne and I are honored to be with you all this morning.
    "
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    Even funnier, when you go to http://www.factcheck.org/
    it just talks about how the bush campaign is lying about kerry and twisting kerry's words around....
    Woah there Eurokitty. You are twisting and bending the "facts" even more than the Kerry-Edwards campaign. Just because you say it, and just because you don't like Bush, doesn't make your twisted facts true.

    You claim that the website "just" talks about Bush lying and twisting Kerrry's words around? According to factcheck.org:

    1. "Edwards falsely claimed the administration "lobbied the Congress" to cut the combat pay of troops in Iraq, something the White House never supported, and he used misleading numbers about jobs."

    2. "Kerry Ad Falsely Accuses Cheney on Halliburton - Contrary to this ad's message, Cheney doesn't gain financially from the contracts given to the company he once headed."

    3. "And Kerry said the Iraq war has cost $200 billion, when the cost so far is actually just over $120 billion."

    Funny how you claim the website "just" talks about Bush lying and twisting Kerry's words around. (I didn't see any claims of "lying" by factcheck.org, just you exaggerating) Maybe your browser didn't see the headlines showing Kerry's wrongdoing? Try Firefox for your browser, it works great.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  13. #33  
    Oh, and in my view, Cheney spanked that little trial lawyer weasel during the debate. No contest.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  14. #34  
    Peter,
    You are being unfair. You quoted Cheney twice, the start of his thought after one question from Russert and the end of his thought after another question. However you left out the question in the middle. Cheney is obviously talking about the middle east, not Iraq which is evident from Russerts next question and the beginning of Cheney's answer. (which you left out, not saying intentionally) :

    Russert:
    So the resistance in Iraq is coming from those who were responsible for 9/11

    Cheney:
    No, I was careful not to say that.


    Illustreous,

    Are you saying Al Qaeda had ties to 9-11, if one claims Iraq had ties to Al-Qaeda transitively one claims Iraq was tied to 9-11. The fallacy of this logic is obvious.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Woah there Eurokitty. You are twisting and bending the "facts" even more than the Kerry-Edwards campaign. Just because you say it, and just because you don't like Bush, doesn't make your twisted facts true.
    Dogs always bark the loudest when you get close to their house.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Cell...didnt you like it when Cheney "B" itch slapped your guy? Sorry Slappy I mean not once but twice.

    Like when Edwards kept saying how bogus the coalition was by claiming that the U.S. is bearing 90% of the expense and suffering 90% of the casualties, and then said that our most important ally in Iraq was the Iraqis, and that by not including the Iraqis' casualties in his numbers, he was trying to claim that almost all the casualties are American. So much for how he is gonna build the coalition.

    Then when Cheney criticized Edwards' record as a Senator, saying he missed 70% of the meetings of the Intelligence Committee, of which he was a member, and that his home-town paper had called him "Senator Gone." That was good. But the best part was when Cheney said that despite the fact that as Vice-President he presides over the Senate, he had never met Edwards until he walked onto the stage tonight.

    I think you would be hard pressed to say that Edwards looked anything but silly.
    I agree with you...it was great but unfortunately not true...

    http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20041006_463.html
  17. Talldog's Avatar
    Posts
    157 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    Dogs always bark the loudest when you get close to their house.
    Barking or not, heberman's right, albeit undiplomatic.
    Talldog
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    Dogs always bark the loudest when you get close to their house.
    Did you know that Guniea Pigs whistle??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I agree with you...it was great but unfortunately not true...

    http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20041006_463.html
    It's easy to see why he would forget. The guy is never around, never been involved with any important legislation, just a no account kinda guy. Slipped his mind.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I think you would be hard pressed to say that Edwards looked anything but silly.
    Claire, obviously you just ignore all of the many times when Edwards showed Cheney mislead (kind word) us? So from your focused viewpoint hooray, and congratulations, I am glad you are happy.

    Whoops and I am sorry for posting a duplicate message above.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 10/06/2004 at 02:47 PM.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions