Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I teacher in New Jersey is in trouble for showing a picture of Bush. An excerpt of the story:

Parents expressing outrage after a teacher is kicked out of her public school for hanging a picture of President Bush next to pictures of other presidents in her classroom.

Shiba Pillai-Diaz, Teacher: "It happened on a small bulletin board near the American flag and also with a poster of the Declaration of Independence."

This is Crossroads South Middle School in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey. On Thursday, there was a back-to-school night for parents of students. Veteran English teacher Shiba Pillai-Diaz says she was shocked when three parents confronted her. The three, insisting the teacher either add John Kerry's photo to the montage of presidents or remove the Bush photo. When Pillai-Diaz refused, she says the school's vice-principal threatened her job which is an act that has parents here fuming.
    Link to full story: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/WAB...olteacher.html

It'll be nice once this election is finally over and the political climate settles back down.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    And I thought all the democrat dimwits were the ones that couldn't figure out how to vote in Palm Beach...guess in NJ they don't realize who the Presidents are.....
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    It'll be nice once this election is finally over and the political climate settles back down.
    Maybe then Kerry will get back to the Senate and represent his constituents
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    see, clairgirl? I told ya southpark was THE perfect description for new jersey. this state is an absolute circus.

the aforementioned was exhibit A. welcome to the show! unbelievable.
    so long as the disgruntled parents want possible future presidents to be on the wall, then the expelled teacher should put Shwarzenegger's picture up there too
    garinballbarin
    I will not consider Arnold to be a possibility yet as he has not yet had the opportunity to prove himself an incompetent puppet and thereby win himself full support of those who could get him elected and direct him.

Seriously though, this teacher thing REALLY sounds like slanted reporting.
    It is OBVIOUS to everyone that president's pictures get hung up in schools.
    It would not be surprising to see an opponent of Bush to complain and insist on Kerry's picture being there as well because most people are idiots. But for the school to back up the complaint and ask the teacher to leave tells me that there is more to the story than what is being told and it was intentionally left out of the report in order to make it grab peoples interest.

There were no pictures of this bulletin board or any hints of it's nature or context. Perhaps there was a lot more meaning to Bush's picture being there than just another presidential picture and it is that meaning that is being contested, not the picture itself.

If the reasoning is simply anti-Bush then tell them to grow up and get over it.
    But I would like to know more about the reasoning behind what happened and the nature of the pictures as well. If it were just an inocuous piece of presidential history she were posting then pictures of that board would have been a treat the media would not have passed up posting to make the story more outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno
    so long as the disgruntled parents want possible future presidents to be on the wall, then the expelled teacher should put Shwarzenegger's picture up there too
    As I suspected.
    I did a search on the teacher's name and came up with more information.
    Search on the name Gary P. McCartney. He is the superintendent of schools in South Brunswick and released a statement on the matter that sheds an entirely different light on the issue and gives the impression that the teacher is just a publicity hound and over zealous Republican.

Everyone will pick which story they want to believe but hopefully everyone will read each story before choosing.
    He's not eligible to be elected President as he is not a natural born citizen as required by the Constitution.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    see, clairgirl? I told ya southpark was THE perfect description for new jersey. this state is an absolute circus.

the aforementioned was exhibit A. welcome to the show! unbelievable.
    You were soo right!
    Here's a link to the PDF file of the statement for anyone interested:

http://www.peteholiday.com/sbs_statement_10_03_2004.pdf
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    these parents have problems which are beyond politics.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 10/05/2004 at 10:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillK400
    And I thought all the democrat dimwits were the ones that couldn't figure out how to vote in Palm Beach...guess in NJ they don't realize who the Presidents are.....
    yes, sadly, this story does serve as a way for some to generalize and misrepresent all democrats, thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 10/05/2004 at 10:54 AM.
    Never gonna happen...Arnold is foreign born, therfore not able to run for President.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    yes, sadly, this story does serve as a way for some to generalize and misrepresent all democrats, thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Come on Cellboy...let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story
  15.    #15  
    I've now seen over the last couple of days: (1) Republican headquarters in (Washington?) was robbed and computers stolen; and (2) Shots fired in Knoxville Bush/Cheney headquarters.

Not generalizing here , but there seems to be a pattern.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    This is what I call a Floridian (Freudian) slip!
    I think you are drinking too much Floridated water.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Thanks scottymomo for the link to the actual statment released by the school. In listening to both sides of the story, the school's official announcement rings true while the teacher's account seems inflamatory and a bit ridiculous.

It's so sad that politics in this country have fallen to these types of tactics. Especially at a time when we are supposed to be the shining example of democracy as we attempt to sway the world to our way of government.

The election on Nov 2 will be decided, I believe, almost entirely on half-truths and spin (which is just polictical-speak for lies). I can't believe that we as Americans are willing to accept that no one wanted to react to the immediate polls after the last debate, but wanted to wait 24-48 hours for the spin-factor to be taken into account. They even had a portion of the backstage area at the debates which was labeled "The Spin Zone".

Does anyone in this country think for themselves anymore ?
    Actually, if you read the post of the Superintendent of schools in South Brunswick you will find out that:

1. The teacher lied to the media when she said she had been fired - she never was

2. The teacher conducted openly proselitistic activities in the school, and even denigrated students ("you should be ashamed to be a democrat")

3. The teacher did not tell the whole truth when she said she placed a picture of President Bush in the bulletin board. She placed a picture of Pres Bush, Pres Bush in the Oval office, Pres Bush's dog and others, making the board a display of her partisanship. She also got a stuffed elephant in class.

4. The parents reactions were appropriate - I would also confront the teacher if she told my daughter that "she should be ashamed to be a democrat" - even if I was a republican

So much for "fair and balanced" reporting
    Quote Originally Posted by luisdasilva
    Actually, if you read the post of the Superintendent of schools in South Brunswick you will find out that:

1. The teacher lied to the media when she said she had been fired - she never was

2. The teacher conducted openly proselitistic activities in the school, and even denigrated students ("you should be ashamed to be a democrat")

3. The teacher did not tell the whole truth when she said she placed a picture of President Bush in the bulletin board. She placed a picture of Pres Bush, Pres Bush in the Oval office, Pres Bush's dog and others, making the board a display of her partisanship. She also got a stuffed elephant in class.

4. The parents reactions were appropriate - I would also confront the teacher if she told my daughter that "she should be ashamed to be a democrat" - even if I was a republican

So much for "fair and balanced" reporting
    From the original article it sounds like the parents were at fault, but with this additional detail, it really seems like it is the teacher which started it all. Its amazing how a story can be so spun around!
    What may surprise you all is that all Republicans and Democtats are democrats.

Little 'd' democrats refers to those who believe in democracy. Big 'D' Democrats refer to those who belong to the Democratic party.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast