1.    #1  
    My local supermarket has run out of Ricotta, I'm trying to cook a gourmet dish to impress the in-laws. What cheese can I use as a substitute? It's for stuffing into chicken breasts with spinach.
    Animo et Fide
    limburger
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I guess maybe bleu so you can have chicken cordon bleu
    Maybe you would make it with Stilton
    PB, get in your car and drive further...
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Cottage cheese works in place of ricotta for lasagna. Might work for you.
  7.    #7  
    I was thinking cottage cheese might do the trick, cheers! I am also going to look elsewhere ACDO but if that place doesn't have ricotta either then I need more ideas, so ner
    Would Philidelphia cheese work as well as cottage cheese?
    Animo et Fide
  8.    #8  
    is Limburger a soft cheese claire?
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Would Philidelphia cheese work as well as cottage cheese?
    If you mean cream cheese, it's not the same texture or consistency at all. It's more like butter than crumbly like ricotta.
  10.    #10  
    Fortunately the Sainsbury's up the road had Ricotta and the dish was saved!
    Chicken breasts, stuffed with ricotta and spinach and wrapped in Parma Ham, served in a white wine sauce with mushrooms and shallots, with new potatoes. Glass or two of wine with it, heaven!
    We wimped out on the afters though and just bought a coconut and cherry cake, which was ok. Might have to start cooking desserts soon though.
    Fish and chips tonight, just to come back down to earth.
    Animo et Fide
    So, it would appear that my drive further advice was the best advice? ;-)
  12.    #12  
    I was going to do that anyway ACDO so don't be smug . I had to go to that supermarket last time we did the recipe. The manager of that store must have a tighter grip on ordering stock!
    We were heading that way in order to visit my god-daughter and family. My wife and I have decided that any children we have won't be as noisy as our friends' kids. Hopefully.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PeterBrown; 10/04/2004 at 10:23 AM.
    Animo et Fide
    II had to go to that supermarket last time we did the recipe. The manager of that store must have a tighter grip on ordering stock!
    I can see where one container of ricotta cheese could throw the whole Empire into a tizzy. Especially if you bought Italian riccota...I mean with the balance of payments and all.
    Last edited by clairegrrl; 10/04/2004 at 11:41 AM.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I can see where one container of ricotta cheese could through the whole Empire into a tizzy. Espically if you bought Italian riccota...I mean with the balance of payments and all.
    That would be "throw", and "especially" Is there any ricotta cheese other than Italian? I think that calling a cheese ricotta if it wasn't from Italy would be against EU rules, probably.
    Animo et Fide
    I think that calling a cheese ricotta if it wasn't from Italy would be against EU rules, probably.
    I think every dairy in the US makes ricotta. EU rules arent very efficent
  16.    #16  
    Well ricotta might not be covered by the EU rules on naming. If it is then US dairies wouldn't be covered unless trying to sell to the EU, which with cheese isn't necessarily going to become an issue.
    EU rules on 'trademarking' (I don't know what the actual term for this law is) are there to protect the original makers from imitations. I.e. Champagne has to come from Champagne, Scotch whisky has to come from Scotland etc. Seems fair enough to me
    Animo et Fide
    Don't fight, play nice.