1.    #1  
    Ironic passages are bolded. As always, I link, you decide:

Former soldiers slow to report

Fewer than two-thirds of the former soldiers being reactivated for duty in Iraq (news - web sites) and elsewhere have reported on time, prompting the Army to threaten some with punishment for desertion.

The former soldiers, part of what is known as the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), are being recalled to fill shortages in skills needed for the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan (news - web sites).

Of the 1,662 ready reservists ordered to report to Fort Jackson, S.C., by Sept. 22, only 1,038 had done so, the Army said Monday. About 500 of those who failed to report have requested exemptions on health or personal grounds.

The ready reserve is an infrequently used pool of former soldiers who can be called to duty in a national emergency or war. On June 29, the Army announced it would call 5,674 members of its IRR back to active duty this year and next.

Several of those who received recall notices have already been declared AWOL (absent without official leave) and technically are considered deserters. "We are not in a rush to put someone in the AWOL category," Masters said. "We contact them and convince them it is in their best interests to show up. If you are a deserter, it can affect you the rest of your life."

Fourteen people were listed as AWOL last week; six subsequently told the Army they would report. Punishment for being AWOL is up to the unit commander and can include prison time and dishonorable discharge, said Col. Joseph Curtin, an Army spokesman.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rsslowtoreport
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    your headline does not match the posting.

1/3 seem to have soem excuse for not reporting (this is not hard to believe). These are also folks who have already been there and back. Sounds like most of the go or work it out with 14 of 1662 being declared AWOL - that's 0.8% - hardly a sizeable refusal.

is your headline a mistake or an agenda ?
    This is spin in the purest form (and you plagiarize O'Reilly with the "I link, you decide" thing!!).

So, about 120 in 1662 had to receive warnings to report to their jobs. Doesn't sound like a "sizeable percentage" as much as someone's effort to add political bias to a non-event. It's not hard to find bias in anything showing up on Yahoo. Remember, reservists are being paid to be ready and available, and refusing the order to appear is tantamount to stealing from the government. And we all know how much Uncle Sam likes that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    It's not hard to find bias in anything showing up on Yahoo. .
    this article is out of USA today, hardly a left wing propoganda tool
    why is it ironic for the Army to threaten punishment for desertion when someone fails to report for duty?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    def: irony - incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs.

i would expect AWOL\deserters to be punished. what i expect is what is occuring, so no irony here.
  7.    #7  
    My references to irony are related to the current court martials around the prison scandal. I thought you people were smarter than that! Also, being DEAD can affect the rest of your life too.

I would assert that 30 percent is a pretty large number. I've talked to these guys and many of them are desperate to find ANY way to avoid being sent to Iraq.

I am proud the Neocons caught the O'Reilly reference..
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    I would assert that 30 percent is a pretty large number.
    And your point is?

As has been pointed out already, 500 of the 524 who have not reported are requesting excemptions for health and personal reasons. These folks in the ready reserve have completed active service and probably now have established jobs with increased professional and personal responsibilities as civilians. I would expect to see numbers like this even if we were not in Iraq.

Contrary to your glass is half full observation, I think the fact that nearly two thirds of those recalled reported back to active duty without question, is truely remarkable.
    My references to irony are related to the current court martials around the prison scandal. I thought you people were smarter than that!
    Ya I knew that, I was just asking. Bah! Since the two arent even related why would anyone even think about the prison scandal? Dumb. Why would anybody make that jump just because thats what you were thinking and made no reference to?

I would assert that 30 percent is a pretty large number. I've talked to these guys and many of them are desperate to find ANY way to avoid being sent to Iraq.
    30% being a large number is relative to your perspective. Are you saying you have talked to the 30%? And when you talk to them what is your response to their desire to avoid Iraq?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  10.    #10  
    Woof weighs in!

SHOCK AND AWE ENSUE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    Remember, reservists are being paid to be ready and available, and refusing the order to appear is tantamount to stealing from the government. And we all know how much Uncle Sam likes that.
    Not true concerning this callup. There are 2 types of Reserve duties you are eligible for (from my recollection):

1. The Ready Reserve -- our current, active, reserves that have been activated and sent to Iraq. They usually meet one weekend per month and two weeks in the summer and yes, they are paid.

2. The Individual Ready Reserve -- this is where people who have served on active duty or in the reserves and have left the service before retirement. I received my discharge in 1984 after serving for 5 years in the Army and remained in the IRR until 1999 (20 years after I went in). These are the troops being called up and trust me, they didn't get paid all those years. Keep in mind that these reserves were not called up during the first Gulf War.

I wonder what's different this time around?
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Woof weighs in!

SHOCK AND AWE ENSUE!
    And as is typical, kitty avoids answering questions and just makes nonsensical comments. My guess is because answering the questions would require knowledge of the situation and would likely cause the argument to crumble. Maybe I am wrong on this, and if I am, why not just answer? I am trying to get more information from the poster on the topic she started, but all I get in response to these questions, which could help further her POV, is useless remarks.

These posts arent fun anymore. It's like talking to a billboard. It makes a statement and thats all you get. There is no further information. It would be nice if this could be a discussion.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    Not true concerning this callup. There are 2 types of Reserve duties you are eligible for (from my recollection):

1. The Ready Reserve -- our current, active, reserves that have been activated and sent to Iraq. They usually meet one weekend per month and two weeks in the summer and yes, they are paid.

2. The Individual Ready Reserve -- this is where people who have served on active duty or in the reserves and have left the service before retirement. I received my discharge in 1984 after serving for 5 years in the Army and remained in the IRR until 1999 (20 years after I went in). These are the troops being called up and trust me, they didn't get paid all those years. Keep in mind that these reserves were not called up during the first Gulf War.

WHats different is there wasnt a vast shortage of troops for the Gulf War. The Clinton administration scaled back our military drastically. Also the scale of the Gulf War was different than the current conflict. You would think that would be obvious.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    WHats different is there wasnt a vast shortage of troops for the Gulf War. The Clinton administration scaled back our military drastically. Also the scale of the Gulf War was different than the current conflict. You would think that would be obvious.
    No, what's different is that there was a huge international coalition to share the load. I'm talking troops on the ground in quantity fighting the battles.

This time it's different.

No, what's different is that there was a huge international coalition to share the load. I'm talking troops on the ground in quantity fighting the battles.

This time it's different.
    Why didnt you just point that out in your post? Why bait someone so you can argue. Sure there was a larger coalition then, but there was also a larger US military.
    — Ed Howdershelt

Your discription on RR and IRR is not the way it is today.

"The Ready Reserve consists of units or individuals, or both, liable for active duty under the provisions of 10 USC 12301 and 12302. The Ready Reserve is comprised of the Selected Reserve and the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) / Inactive National Guard(ING).” --10 USC 10142 "

"Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), a manpower pool in the Ready Reserve, primarily consists of: Individuals who have had training, have served previously in the Active component or the Selected Reserve, and have some period of a military obligation remaining. IRR members are in an active status, but do not perform regularly scheduled training."

So nobody is being called up that is not in an active status. Sorry
    http://www.defenselink.mil/ra/second...onentsfaq.html
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I stand corrected ... thanks for the info, claire.

It was just my recollection from o, so many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Why didnt you just point that out in your post? Why bait someone so you can argue. Sure there was a larger coalition then, but there was also a larger US military.
    Sorry for the confusion ... next time I will be more clear. It was a rhetorical question intended to induce thought into a subject that seems to be a central point in this Presidential campaign.

I stand corrected ... thanks for the info, claire.

It was just my recollection from o, so many years ago.
    So what went first. Your mind or your p.... oh nevermind
    Well behaved women rarely make history