1.    #1  
    My car is coming up for its MOT (Ministry of Transport Test), this is an annual roadworthiness/emissions test which it has to pass to be allowed back out of the garage. Do cars in other countries have to pass this?
    Animo et Fide
  2. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Yes. In NJ the inspections are every 2 years for newer models. Each State is different though.
    State-by-state in the US. It was mandatory in Minnesota until 4 years ago. Now it is not necessary for ANY car.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    in the US it is determined by the air quality of the state as judged by the federal government so some states do and others do not, if they are told to perform the tests and do not they lose the highway funds from the department of transportation...
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    in the US it is determined by the air quality of the state as judged by the federal government so some states do and others do not, if they are told to perform the tests and do not they lose the highway funds from the department of transportation...
    Minnesota was pro-active in its decision; it wasn't federally determined decision for us. Same goes for the termination of it. It was all done at the state level here.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    IMHO, not quite true. Emissions testing is determined by the Feds based on Air Quality. Safety inspections are mandated by the states....i.e. brakes, lights, wipers, etc.

Some states have mandated Safety inspections and no Emissions testing. Some states have neither. Some states have Emissions testing in specific counties but not in other...like in Virginia for instance.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    In my state, everyone car a safety inspection. However, emissions tests are only needed in some counties, not others.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    New Pickup Makes Hummer Look Rather Puny
    http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/ap20040917_225.html
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    My car is coming up for its MOT (Ministry of Transport Test), this is an annual roadworthiness/emissions test which it has to pass to be allowed back out of the garage. Do cars in other countries have to pass this?
    Probably not but we all envy the London Black Taxi.
    Ohio has mandatory emissions testing every two years, depending on the county (and I think that is based on population). If your vehicle fails, you can get a waiver if you pay enough money in repairs to attempt to fix the problem. Vehicles over 25 years old do not need to be tested.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the US answers, any other nationalities care to satisfy my curiosity? Switzerland? Australia/Netherlands?
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    What do you need a car in Switzerland for? You can walk the country in 23 minutes
    And that's if you cross it diagonally. If you walk across the short bit the immigrations officers from the three different countries get in a fight over who gets to stamp your passport first!

There are no cars in Austrailia. Everyone rides Kangaroos everywhere they are going. Except in the North of Australia....there they have really big Penguins. The really rich people have Penguins that carry 8 people but you never see more then three people on those penguins. What a Waste of Penguin Petrol!!
    And have you ever seen the mess an eight passenger penguin leaves when it defecates!!!
  14.    #14  
    And do they test the penguin's emissions?
    Animo et Fide
    oooooo, look at the timing Peter!! LOL
    Golly, you are a unique dragon!

I am taking that as a compliment.
    Of course it was a compliment, DragonNuggets
    uck, sweetness, uck, cloying, must eat brimstone.
    What do you need a car in Switzerland for? You can walk the country in 23 minutes
    I am always impressed by how much this Chicken knows about Swedish geography. 23 minutes is actually quite acurate. Nevertheless there are about four or five cars in Switzerland, and they have to pass emission tests every two years (as far as I remember). Roadworthiness tests depend on the age of the car, they start after a certain age of the car (don't know when). Why are you asking PeterBrown?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  19.    #19  
    Well my wife mentioned that she'd heard they don't have any such test in australia. I'm just satisfying my curiosity without actually going and checking for myself
    Animo et Fide
    My wife has mentioned having me tested for emmisions. She mumbled something about them being poisionous......hmm...I hadn't noticed anything.