1.    #1  
    Hello everyone,
    I have broadband internet and i want to share it with my laptop via ethernet cable. Can i install a second NIC in my desktop and then use it to share the connection with my lappy? (seeing how i have 5 nics and routers are not cheap for me right now... damn $32k college)

I am running windows XP home on my desktop and Pro on my lappy. Has anyone done this b4? Anyone know a good tutorial that covers this?

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    It is indeed possible to use a second nick and use internet connection sharing ta grant internet to a network that doesn't have access. It's a very slow method though since windows can't use both NIC's at the same time.

Either which way it is never reccomended to connect your computer directly to your modem/wall so a router may be a needed purchase anyway.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

A friend of mine does that so I know you can do it, but I have not set it up so I cant help with the step by step. I do know that it would be done in the "my network places" then "set up a home or small office network". The guided setup should be quite helpful.
    Done tried it long ago and ended up purchasing a wireless network - Belkin. Not a problem at all and it handles a desktop and two laptops. The cost was under $200 from CompUSA. Ben
    I have done it as well. It is very iffy to get set up. If the wizard doesn't do everything right, you will be in for a lot of fiddling. If you know how to do all that stuff, great, but if you don't, it's a real pain.

And of course the host computer has to be on for the other one to do anything online.

Even though I was out of a job at the time, I still found the $30 spent on the router to be a good deal!
    That's how I share my internet connection.

I found a program called Nat32 that does all the work. I only need to setup NAT32 on the box with the 2 nic cards, and all my other machines can see the internet. Here's their homepage.

Because it's much more configurable than the consumer broadband routers that are available today, I really can't justify spending money to replace it. I guess, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
  7.    #7  
    Thanks guys!

I have found out that Windows XP SP2 has a wizard that can do this for me. But knowing Windows all to well I have downloaded the NAT32 program. Hopefully these will do the trick for me.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about