Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 161
  1. #121  
    This is what I found regarding the Christian extremism views that which in any case found interesting:

    http://www.skepticism.info/quotes/ar...sm_index.shtml

    And to be nonbiased, here is the flipside:

    http://www.skepticism.info/quotes/ar...sm_index.shtml
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    I am curious. what examples have there been of extremist christians doing terrible things in the current century?

    there HAVE been atrocities committed in the past, but that is the past. what is going on CURRENTLY that can be labeled as examples of extremist christians committing terrible deeds?
    Don't underestimate the religious roots of the Troubles in Northern Ireland. The roots of the problems in Northern Ireland are varied and complex, but a major part of the identity of both communities is whether they are Protestant or Catholic. This is also a big factor in trying to get the two sides (as in the ordinary people, not necessarily the politicians) to view each other without hatred and suspicion. As I'm sure you would agree, if you differ from someone in your whole interpretation of the bible and you are very strongly of the opinion that the other side is wrong then there's a big tension right away.
    Animo et Fide
  3.    #123  
    I agree there is tension immediately between two sides viewing bible interpretations differently.
    I also can see the point clairegirl brings up.
    what I see as the striking difference between christian extremists and islamic extremists is that I believe the islamic fundamentalists are significantly more violent than the christians as a whole, so comparing the two as similar, in my view at least. just isn't appropriate. anything in the extreme of course presents a problem, but I think the islamic extreme is an entirely different league.
    christians have been guilty of terrible crimes in the past, and they could be then truly be compared to the actions of present-day islamic extremists.
    but as a whole, today, there is really no comparison. the islam extremists are behaving in a manner that regresses to the barbaric middle ages - when the christians were committing their acts- not in a manner that reflects any degree of evolutionary progress most of the rest of the world has made in modern civilization. it would appear for the most part the christians have evolved beyond that behavior. the islamic extremists have not.
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I think the most extreme pro-life advocates, those killing doctors and bombing clinics, could be considered "extremist christians", since most appose abortion on religious grounds
    Good one! Didn't think of that. Probably because we do not have this variant of home grown terrorism in Europe.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    I am curious. what examples have there been of extremist christians doing terrible things in the current century?
    When you say "current century," do you mean the past 4 years? Or the past 100 years?

    Some people would argue that being Christian means following the teachings of Christ, and that includes not commiting atrocities. By that logic, it would be impossible for any "real" Christian to commit an atrocity. I don't buy that for a second.

    Some people would also argue that people don't commit atrocities because they're Christian, they commit atrocities because they're bad people. That's a more difficult one to tackle, though I think it's true only some of the time. I've limited my results to Christians who have done terrible things that were in line with their Christian beliefs. The man who murdered Matthew Shepard would not have killed him if it weren't for his Christian anti-gay indoctrination.

    In general:
    http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbo...mes_study.html
    http://stop-the-hate.org/king.html

    Specifics:
    http://rtonline1.roanoke.com/rt_specials/shooting/
    http://da.co.la.ca.us/mr/021804d.htm

    The KKK is a Christian organization. I'd argue that most hate crimes (assault and murder of racial minorities and homosexuals) are committed by Christians. All of the Catholic priests who molested children were Christian.

    Nareau
  6.    #126  
    those points are true. but what I am saying here is that there is no christian extremist movement today that is on the warpath with the outside world as are the islamic extremists. there are unacceptable deeds going on in ALL AND ANY religion today, but the scale of atrocities being committed by the islamic extremists in the present day is altogether more severe - without question.
  7. #127  
    I don't have any problem with describing terrorists as evil, and I agree that the majority of them claim a link to islam. However I don't believe that this reflects badly on islam itself, any more than christianity should take the blame for 'christian' justification of slavery.
    Animo et Fide
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by nareau
    The man who murdered Matthew Shepard would not have killed him if it weren't for his Christian anti-gay indoctrination.

    The KKK is a Christian organization. I'd argue that most hate crimes (assault and murder of racial minorities and homosexuals) are committed by Christians. All of the Catholic priests who molested children were Christian.

    Nareau
    While these people may label themselves as Christians, and use some out of context scripture to justify their hateful acts, they are certainly not Christians. Just good old fashion criminals.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  9.    #129  
    yes. I am not saying there is any problem with islam. it is the islamic extremists that are the major criminals in today's world.
    sure christianity was guilty of much in the past, but that is past.
    there are atrocities going on somewhere in ALL religions, but nowhere to the extent that is going on in the world of extremist islam.
  10.    #130  
    and christianity does have its own criminals of molestation and such in the presentday, but christianity does not have the ever - present evil on the same scale as the terrorists we are dealing with today.
    broadly comparing the two as a whole today, the islam extremists really have gone far and beyond any crimes the christians are guilty of. im not saying christians are all angels, either. I am saying they don't compare in severity, on a grand scale, in the ferocity of their effects on the outside world.
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    While these people may label themselves as Christians, and use some out of context scripture to justify their hateful acts, they are certainly not Christians. Just good old fashion criminals.
    Most Muslims (the majority, I would guess, but I don't have statistics on that) would say exactly the same about Al Qaida and other Islamistic terrorists (that they are not Muslims but criminals).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  12.    #132  
    and so I think they ( muslims) would agree that it is indeed these islamic fundamentalists who are the civilized world's biggest threat, and not the christian fundamentalists.
  13. #133  
    Can you see the argument that when Bush launches a war of dubious legality and kills thousands of people and uses his religion constantly in a political context then the iraq war is widely seen as a current act of christian terrorism, at least in the islamic world?
    Animo et Fide
  14. #134  
    Bush is on a religious crusade. He's made no secret of it. PBS' Frontline did a whole show about it recently.

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jesus/
  15.    #135  
    bush did not set the islamic extremists attack-fury in motion all on his own, now. this element of the islam was in motion long before any bush was in the picture. that fact is undeniable.
    this is the difference between the two.
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    bush did not set the islamic extremists attack-fury in motion all on his own, now. this element of the islam was in motion long before any bush was in the picture. that fact is undeniable.
    this is the difference between the two.
    The guy who made Fahrenheit 9/11 might disagree with this statement.
  17. #137  
    Well this goes back to my reason why I had no problem with the invasion of afghanistan but a big one with the invasion of iraq - you couldn't describe Saddam as an Islamic extremist.
    Animo et Fide
  18.    #138  
    as if his opinion is fair and balanced, right? rolling my eyes

    did the terrorists not attack us when clinton was in office, eurokitty?
  19.    #139  
    im not talking about hussein or iraq at all here.

    the point was about comparing islamic extremism to christian fundamentalism
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    as if his opinion is fair and balanced, right? rolling my eyes

    did the terrorists not attack us when clinton was in office, eurokitty?
    Was Clinton involved with the Bin Laden family's business affairs?

    BTW, I can tell you all about terrorism. Do a Google of October 23, 1983 and then ask me where I was on that day. Then we'll talk.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions