Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kazinvan
    I'm not implying that the US didn't help Kuwait, but I know that they didn't do it because there were people dying. They did it because their oil supply may be reduced. It's the motive that matters, not the action.
    Gee, I think the action matters a little bit. The end result was the liberation of Kuwait. I'm sure they appreciated it, even if Canada didn't.

Your image is what I'm talking about. It goes back to my first post, how I feel the world sees the US. You should vote for someone who will make things better, and thus improve your image, not someone who will work on image alone.
    You just don't get it. We are not going to vote for a president just because he pleases Canada, France, or any other country. You accuse the US of being meddlesome, then you accuse us of not being concerned enough about Canadian politics. Then you try to tell us who to vote for. Reality - this election has little or nothing to do with Canada.
    clairegrrl, do you think that the USA spends too little, too much, or about right on the military? Do you think that they should help out in every country where trouble exists? Do you think that enough resources are directed to solving the countries own problems?

Just curious, honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by procure
    Of course you can say so. You don't live in the US, correct? Based on your previous posts, your opinion as to whether or not Bush is doing a good job seems to be based on how the US is viewed through the eyes of outsiders. Tax cuts, national security, etc. have no impact on you. So while many Americans appreciate these changes, your opinion (and that of most outsiders) probably doesn't take these into account.
    No, I don't live in the US. My opinion on whether Bush is doing a good job is based not only on how US politics and actions affect the rest of the world, but also what effect the government is having on the American people in general. Your right, tax cuts make no difference to me, but there are many things that do.
    Reality - this election has little or nothing to do with Canada.
    The US government has a big impact on Canada. We are the US's biggest trading partner and the US still can exert a lot of influence in to what happens up here. The US foreign policy deals not only with Iraq and Kuwait, but also with Canada.
    clairegrrl, do you think that the USA spends too little, too much, or about right on the military? Do you think that they should help out in every country where trouble exists? Do you think that enough resources are directed to solving the countries own problems?

Just curious, honestly.

You still havent given an answer about the Sudan. Why dont you just say that you and your countrymen really dont care and stop trying to answer a question with another question.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Honest is nice
    Two things I am almost never called.
    You still havent given an answer about the Sudan. Why dont you just say that you and your countrymen really dont care and stop trying to answer a question with another question.
    See post 57, I did address it. I may not know what the answer is, but I do know what the answer isn't.
    See post 57, I did address it. I may not know what the answer is, but I do know what the answer isn't.
    Hahaha...thats not an answer. In otherwise you dont care, you have no opinion. You guys should see what the french and swisslanders think before you say anything.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Here is what you said in post 57:

As for Sudan, of course I don't agree with what is happening, but sending in the army to kill everyone and put in a government of the US's choosing is NOT the answer.
    Yeah, I hear that's exactly what Bush wants to do. Just kill everyone. Thank God you're here as the voice of reason. By the way, Kerry supports sending in US troops. So I guess he's not the candidate for you.
    Hahaha...thats not an answer. In otherwise you dont care, you have no opinion. You guys should see what the french and swisslanders think before you say anything.
    So what are your answers to my questions, I didn't see any reply there?

Maybe the USA shouldn't be so concerned about the killing in Sudan, and be more concerned about the killing in the USA. How do you think your murder rate compares to that of other modernized countries?
    Here is what you said in post 57:

Yeah, I hear that's exactly what Bush wants to do. Just kill everyone. Thank God you're here as the voice of reason. By the way, Kerry supports sending in US troops. So I guess he's not the candidate for you.
    I never once said vote for Kerry. He isn't the best choice either. But when you only have a choice between two (and yes, there *really* is only two), then you pick the best of the two.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Maybe the USA shouldn't be so concerned about the killing in Sudan, and be more concerned about the killing in the USA. How do you think your murder rate compares to that of other modernized countries?
    Why can't the US be concerned with both? You don't think genocide is a concern?
    Why can't the US be concerned with both? You don't think genocide is a concern?
    Certainly it's a concern, I'm not saying that we should let things like genocide happen. It should not be a decision left to the USA, that is why we have the UN. But, if the USA *is* concerned about both, then why is there still so much killing in the USA and if they are doing thigns to help why are they not working?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Certainly it's a concern, I'm not saying that we should let things like genocide happen. It should not be a decision left to the USA, that is why we have the UN. But, if the USA *is* concerned about both, then why is there still so much killing in the USA and if they are doing thigns to help why are they not working?
    Alright this is getting ridiculous. We're starting to argue about the murder rate in the US vs genocide in Sudan. This has nothing to do with Bush vs Kerry. I'm done with this thread.
    don't you all just love all backseat quarterbacks of the world? lol. having all the answers but none of the actions. that about says it all.
    nothing will cost americans more than re-electing BUSH; you have to understand it's global politics since 9/11, at least for the masses; for everyone working in the field, it's always been that way...
    ...global politics means you have to seek harmony among every player in the field, and BUSH likes to play solo.

make it money, lifes, attitude, karma, whatever; americans will pay the price of BUSH bullying everyone else in the ONU ( and outside ? ).

it doesn't matter if you're right or wrong; you've got to work together and grow together or be damned...

...my 2 cents.
    Last edited by koros; 09/10/2004 at 06:29 AM.
    I'm done with this thread.
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    don't you all just love all backseat quarterbacks of the world?
    Not personally -- that would really be too much work, there being soooo many of them in the world.
    work together? yeah. great... when everyone stops all the hemming and hawing and actually take the reigns to get something done. collaborating is useful, but only when it is followed those who take appropriate action. you can sit around a table and have great international relations, but if nothing gets done, which is worse, koros? if you let scourges like sudan or hussein in iraq get more serious in certain areas in the world but have great relations, does that really solve it?
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    I ...I can't tell if you're kidding or not. Canadians have a long history of fighting terrorism.
    Yeah just like the Swiss. <------------Sarcasm. Fact of the matter is, learning and acquiring knowledge about terrorism is much different than fighting and combating it head on. The U.S. has actively taken steps toward eliminate those groups which continue to use terror as a vehicle to advance their agenda. I'm having difficulty recalling instances where the Canadians or Swiss have done the same...
    Funny, the EIU (http://www.eiu.com/) and Mercer Human Resource Consulting produce annual surveys that rank various cities around the world in many different categories. Overall (quality of life), in the last survey, Canada did quite well:

overall quality of life survey has revealed that Zurich remains the world’s top city, providing the best quality of life, with 106.5 points. Geneva (previously scoring 105.5) moves up from fourth to second place to join Vancouver and Vienna, with a rating of 106. This takes account of the easing of entry restrictions and the growing pre-eminence of Geneva’s medical facilities, including modern and well-equipped hospitals and clinics that are amongst the best in Europe.

Cities in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand continue to rank highest in the table. Copenhagen, Frankfurt, and Bern share joint fifth place with Sydney and Auckland, and score 105 points.

The analysis was based on an evaluation of 39 quality of life criteria for each city including political, social, economic, and environmental factors; personal safety and health; education; transport; and other public services.

Canada continues to score well with four cities in the top 25. Vancouver is ranked in 2nd position (106), followed by Toronto ranked 12th (104), Ottawa at 20th place (103), and Montreal in 23rd position (102.5).

The USA has ZERO cities in the top 25.

In the US, Honolulu, Houston, and San Francisco all take 40th place

Maybe you *should* take some leadership advice from Canadians. Canada is a better place to live.

Mike
    I'm glad Canada has become such a grand place to live. Really...I am. Perhaps if the U.S. didnt spend so much time defending Europe against itself, liberating millions in the middle east, and being the number 1 provider of world aid in times of crisis, maybe our cities also could be listed as places with high qualities of life. Ahhh the benefits of remaining neutral.....
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast