Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    OK...let's compare. You joined Nov '02 and have made 75 posts. Snerdy joined Dec '02 and had made 485 posts.

I would say that you need to get a six pack and sit down at your computer and catch up
    I don't have anything exciting to say. The cost of electing Kerry, considered in a vacuum, is also not exciting.
    Quote Originally Posted by procure
    I can't remember - how many electoral votes does Canada have?
    They're like DC, right, being taxed without being represented
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrashear
    I don't have anything exciting to say. The cost of electing Kerry, considered in a vacuum, is also not exciting.
    Honest is nice
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Tax and spend Kerry is his party motto.
    Of course, the current Republican motto is "spend and borrow"

"Tax and spend" or "spend and borrow" - what a choice we've been given.
    I can't remember - how many electoral votes does Canada have?
    Zero, but that really isn't an answer to my post, is it? We can't vote, but we sure can have an opinion and express it here or otherwise. If I think Bush is doing a bad job and making things worse in the USA then I can say so. I can assure you that most Canadians know more about US politics than the majority of Americans! And the sad fact is that most Americans know NOTHING about Canadian politics (or any other country for that matter). I can bet you that 95/100 Americans can't even name our Prime Minister, but I bet that 100/100 Canadians could name the American President. You have no concept of the outside world, and that isn't just in politics, it includes economics, geography, and a host of other things. I would be willing to bet that more than half couldn't find Afghanistan on a globe. I'm not saying ALL Americans are like this, so don't get me wrong. The sad fact is that many *are* like this.

Mike
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec
    Unfortunately, many people in this forum believe that anyone who doesn't live here shouldn't and can't have anything important to say about our political system or the people running it. They think, as George Bush does, that the opinions of the outside world mean nothing, because we have this kick a$$ army and the keys to more nukes than anyone else, and therefore can tell anyone we want to shove it.
    Opinions of the outside world are welcome. But do you really think the outside world has America's best interests in mind? Wake up.
    Quote Originally Posted by kazinvan
    Zero, but that really isn't an answer to my post, is it? We can't vote, but we sure can have an opinion and express it here or otherwise. If I think Bush is doing a bad job and making things worse in the USA then I can say so. I can assure you that most Canadians know more about US politics than the majority of Americans! And the sad fact is that most Americans know NOTHING about Canadian politics (or any other country for that matter). I can bet you that 95/100 Americans can't even name our Prime Minister, but I bet that 100/100 Canadians could name the American President. You have no concept of the outside world, and that isn't just in politics, it includes economics, geography, and a host of other things. I would be willing to bet that more than half couldn't find Afghanistan on a globe. I'm not saying ALL Americans are like this, so don't get me wrong. The sad fact is that many *are* like this.

Mike
    You do a great job "blowing" on and on about the US. Where's your outrage for what's happening in Sudan? What's Canada gonna do about it?
    But do you really think the outside world has America's best interests in mind?
    clairegrrl -- I think I hear those helicopters!
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    clairegrrl -- I think I hear those helicopters!

What color are they?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    There is a problem in the US, many people don't see it but those that do see things getting worse and worse. The current US empire (and that is exactly what it is) is becoming a problem. No one will say that Bush is the next Hitler, Stalin, etc. Howerver, the USA is essentially trying to dominate the world. Not necessarily with war, as there is really no one that poses a serious threat if they decided to use the full arsenal at their disposal. The new domination is different. They dominate the money, oil, goods, markets, etc. US companies are expanding everywhere, all countries that the US "helps" (usually via war, like Kuwait) become another big market for US companies that are now more powerful than most countries.
    "helps"? Kuwait? Are you implying that the US didn't really help Kuwait? Do you even know what you're talking about? Would they have been better off being taken over by Saddam Hussein? I find your entire argument extremely ignorant. Are you really upset over the expansion of US companies??

There is so much that can be discussed here that it would be impossible to post in a thread like this. All I can say is that the world's attitude towards the USA is not getting any better, and in fact much worse, as time goes on.
    That's too bad, but I'm not going to vote for a president based on who can best improve our image.
    What color are they?
    I can't hear them that well.
    You do a great job "blowing" on and on about the US. Where's your outrage for what's happening in Sudan? What's Canada gonna do about it?
    First, the US is not the world's police. Second, why don't you clean up your own back yard before you go messing in someone elses? The US has plenty of it's own problems, spend 1/1000th of your military budget on fixing up your healthcare system, paying off your MASSIVE debt, reducing the number of murders, improving your education system, and figuring out how to control drugs (because we all know how well America's "war on drugs" is working).

Maybe then you can get ONE city into the top-10 best places to live, or maybe crack the top 25.
    First, the US is not the world's police. Second, why don't you clean up your own back yard before you go messing in someone elses? The US has plenty of it's own problems, spend 1/1000th of your military budget on fixing up your healthcare system, paying off your MASSIVE debt, reducing the number of murders, improving your education system, and figuring out how to control drugs (because we all know how well America's "war on drugs" is working).

Maybe then you can get ONE city into the top-10 best places to live, or maybe crack the top 25.
    Your distain for the US is noted. Why do you continue to whine about the US. I asked you about Sudan. The murder on 10's of thousands is OK with you and your government?
    "helps"? Kuwait? Are you implying that the US didn't really help Kuwait? Do you even know what you're talking about? Would they have been better off being taken over by Saddam Hussein? I find your entire argument extremely ignorant. Are you really upset over the expansion of US companies??

That's too bad, but I'm not going to vote for a president based on who can best improve our image.
    I'm not implying that the US didn't help Kuwait, but I know that they didn't do it because there were people dying. They did it because their oil supply may be reduced. It's the motive that matters, not the action.

Your image is what I'm talking about. It goes back to my first post, how I feel the world sees the US. You should vote for someone who will make things better, and thus improve your image, not someone who will work on image alone.

I don't see how my argument is ignorant, but you are free to your opinion.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Zero, but that really isn't an answer to my post, is it? We can't vote, but we sure can have an opinion and express it here or otherwise. If I think Bush is doing a bad job and making things worse in the USA then I can say so.
    Of course you can say so. You don't live in the US, correct? Based on your previous posts, your opinion as to whether or not Bush is doing a good job seems to be based on how the US is viewed through the eyes of outsiders. Tax cuts, national security, etc. have no impact on you. So while many Americans appreciate these changes, your opinion (and that of most outsiders) probably doesn't take these into account.

I can assure you that most Canadians know more about US politics than the majority of Americans! And the sad fact is that most Americans know NOTHING about Canadian politics (or any other country for that matter). I can bet you that 95/100 Americans can't even name our Prime Minister, but I bet that 100/100 Canadians could name the American President. You have no concept of the outside world, and that isn't just in politics, it includes economics, geography, and a host of other things. I would be willing to bet that more than half couldn't find Afghanistan on a globe. I'm not saying ALL Americans are like this, so don't get me wrong. The sad fact is that many *are* like this.
    You sound very bitter. Do all Canadians feel so neglected? Trust me, we know you're up there. And by the way, your rant above has nothing to do with Bush or Kerry. You're not discussing politics, you're blasting our whole country for some reason.
    First, the US is not the world's police.
    Tell that to every country in trouble that wants the US to help them out.

The US has plenty of it's own problems, spend 1/1000th of your military budget on fixing up your healthcare system,
    if it means adopting the Canadian system...no thanks.

OK, so no cities in the top 25, but you tell me where almost every oppressed wants to come...and it ain't Canada.
    Your distain for the US is noted. Why do you continue to whine about the US. I asked you about Sudan. The murder on 10's of thousands is OK with you and your government?
    I'm not sure that distain is the right word. There are many things I do like about the US. They gave us The Simpsons and Seinfeld

What started this is my comment on how I believe many non-Americans see the USA. Do you not care about that?

Also, where am I whining?

As for Sudan, of course I don't agree with what is happening, but sending in the army to kill everyone and put in a government of the US's choosing is NOT the answer.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Dude, you're turning this into a US vs Canada debate. You need to lighten up.

Um, no one cares about this list.

Also, where am I whining?

As for Sudan, of course I don't agree with what is happening, but sending in the army to kill everyone and put in a government of the US's choosing is NOT the answer.
    Well to me...post 36 and 45 has a certain whine factor.

Your remarks on the Sudan is not an answer. If is was up to you, by the time anything is done, all the Black Africans in Sudan will be dead, but at least the problem will be solved.
    I'm in the minority here, it was never intended to be a Canada vs USA debate. Strong opinions on both sides that obviously won't sway anyone this way or that way.

Lighten up... sure.

As for the list, only those not on it don't care about it Truthfully, it's not a big deal, but it is an impartial look at a lot of aspects and one can draw a few conclusions from it.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast