Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58
  1.    #1  
    Apparently, the Anti-Bush documents used by 60 Minutes in its attack piece are probably fake. According to http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/007760.php

    Every single one of the memos to file regarding Bush's failure to attend a physical and meet other requirements is in a proportionally spaced font, probably Palatino or Times New Roman. In 1972 people used typewriters for this sort of thing (especially in the military), and typewriters used mono-spaced fonts.

    The use of proportionally spaced fonts did not come into common use for office memos until the introduction high-end word processing systems from Xerox and Wang, and later of laser printers, word processing software, and personal computers. They were not widespread until the mid to late 90's.

    Before then, you needed typesetting equipment, and that wasn't used for personal memos to file. Even the Wang and other systems that were dominant in the mid 80's used mono-spaced fonts. I doubt the TANG had typesetting or high-end 1st generation word processing systems.
    It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  2.    #2  
    Here is a link to the CBS story on the documents:

    http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewPolitics...20040909d.html
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  3. #3  
    Yeah, uh huh, and who the hell is CNSNews? They are a political hack group portraying themselves as a news organization...Notice they have no bylines that are other then their own and I doubt this group has that many reporters so are they just watching TV and making things up. They need to at least cite sources...
  4. #4  
  5. #5  
    Yeah, thanks WSlappy, you do great research. Looks like you debunked the Rush Limbaugh/Nazi News Network...thank you dude, you rock...
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
    Shake it, baby, shake it.
  7.    #7  
    Typical tactic gharrod: if you don't like the perspective or opinions, call them Nazis. Keep up the name calling instead of arguing the merits, that really helps your cause. Nazis, there's all Nazis!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    Shake it, baby, shake it.
    Trust me, you really don't want to see me shake it!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Trust me, you really don't want to see me shake it!
    Jelly Belly??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  10. #10  
    Heberman, they are liars. Proven, case closed. This CNSNews is not even accredited in any journalistic circles and openly avows it's right-wing bias. In fact they solicit for donations on their website. Maybe they have a lemonade stand set up somewhere where you can go buy some Kool-Aid (they will no doubt lie and tell you that it is lemonade)...
  11.    #11  
    So call them and everyone who "openly avows it's right-wing bias" liars and Nazis. You sound just like Theresa Heinz, who said that "only an *****" would fail to support her husband's health care plan. Not responding to arguments, just name-calling.

    While the right wing has its own problems, it's amazing how coarse the left's political diologe has become. Nazis? Idiots? Liars? Now are you alluding to Jim Jones with the Kool-Aid comment? When you throw those words around so easily, they eventually lose their meaning and their power.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Jelly Belly??
    I'll take the Fifth Amendment on that.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  13. #13  
    I had no intent of Jim Jones and the sad memories of the Guyana tradgedy. Sadly you bring that fear and memory to this. You ignore the fact that your source lied. What say you to that? And in post #2 you state this is a CBS story liink. It is CNSNews.com.

    Just as I do not go around quoting liberal news biased sources I laugh at those that feel their right wing sources are the Gods of knowledge. Guess what, they are not. Please give me some legitimate source then I will listen. And guess what...I am a conservative and my girlfriend is in the inner circle of the administration. Groups like CNSNews.com hurt our agenda.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I had no intent of Jim Jones and the sad memories of the Guyana tradgedy. Sadly you bring that fear and memory to this. You ignore the fact that your source lied. What say you to that? And in post #2 you state this is a CBS story liink. It is CNSNews.com.

    Just as I do not go around quoting liberal news biased sources I laugh at those that feel their right wing sources are the Gods of knowledge. Guess what, they are not. Please give me some legitimate source then I will listen. And guess what...I am a conservative and my girlfriend is in the inner circle of the administration. Groups like CNSNews.com hurt our agenda.

    I immediately thought of Jim Jones when you said Kool aid.

    Please Define 'legitimate source'.

    Who is your girlfriend? Define inner circle. These comments really mean nothing without proof. You could be lying too yunno. I mean at least Heberman links to his source however unhappy you may be with it. You on the other hand expect us to just accept what you say because you say it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  15. #15  
    What amazes me is that the arguments about Jim Jones, Kool-Aid, and name calling have drowned out the fact that proportional spaced type has been around since 1941. Isn't the legitimacy of the documents what this post is about?

    Not that I really care. I'm comfortably, happily, neutral. Kinda like burnt umbre.

    I just hate to see good research go to waste.
  16. #16  
    just for the record, i didn't get this link through research of my own but I saw it and figured I would post it since it is very germane to the topic.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow
    What amazes me is that the arguments about Jim Jones, Kool-Aid, and name calling have drowned out the fact that proportional spaced type has been around since 1941. Isn't the legitimacy of the documents what this post is about?

    Not that I really care. I'm comfortably, happily, neutral. Kinda like burnt umbre.
    Whether the documents are fake or not is interesting to me, not because of the Bush/Kerry race, but to watch how the media reacts if 60 Minutes was conned into using fake documents.

    At this point, I have no idea whether the docs are fake or not. 60 Minutes has an expert for their authenticity, And webslappy's link seems to back that up. The the other guys are convinced it is fake, and provide quite a bit of support for their argument. The docs will get a lot more scrutiny now.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  18. mrjoec's Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    #18  
    Let's all use a little common sense here, and assume that if these documents were fake, there would be a press release or some sort of announcement from the White House claiming just that. We wouldn't be hearing typography arguments from a minor web site; we'd have a front page story from every news company who competes with 60 minutes, and we'd have a counter lawsuit against the people who released these documents.

    As far as I know, Bush hasn't made any denials about the veracity of the documents. And they are being used as evidence in a court case, so I assume they've been thoroughly checked out by Bush's lawyers.

    The bottom line is that he lied, and while we impeached our last president for lying, I'll stick to what I believed back then and say that this is not as big a deal as everyone wants to make it out to be. There are far better reasons for not voting Bush this November.

    Does it say something about his character? Absolutely. Does it make him unfit to lead? Not necessarily. Does it come to anyone's surprise? I hope not.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  19. #19  
    Woof, I will not disclose her name here but I guarantee if you watch any news shows at all you would recognize her name and face as she is one of the GWB's closest advisors.

    MrJoec, you are right. We impeached one president (for not being truthful about his personal sex life) and another resigned for not telling the truth about a break in at the DNC (remember Nixon) and I consider deriliction(sp) of duty to the military as a far worse crime then lieing.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Woof, I will not disclose her name here but I guarantee if you watch any news shows at all you would recognize her name and face as she is one of the GWB's closest advisors.
    Okay, so Woof caught some flak recently for his skepticism regarding people's claims about their situation off the board. Be that as it may, I've got to agree, here, that this just sounds crackers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I immediately thought of Jim Jones when you said Kool aid.
    Kool-aid's image is forever tarnished.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions